Have you ever reported animal cruelty/neglect?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I successfully had my neighbor prosecuted for shooting my favorite cat back Sept 2004.
This case got alot of attention in the local media and it was difficult to deal with while waiting for the DA's office and the trial.

It was worth it and he knows if he does it again (he hasn't) he may face a felony conviction instead of a misdemeanor.

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, this is fascinating (in a really sad and horrible way). Around here, the local animal control and police department really don't do that much when it comes to animal cruelty or anything else involving crimes against animals. In fact, they're absolutely useless when it comes to animals.

I can think of several cases where animal control was called and they didn't do anything. In fact, there is someone around here who likes to harm cats. Animal control and the police have been called but they choose not to investigate.

In one case, someone tied a thin wire around a cat's neck and it was done in such a way that it would cause a slow death. Luckily, the owner noticed the cat was acting odd and got it to the animal hospital before it was too late.

In another case, someone got a hold of a cat and sliced it's belly. It sliced it in a way that wouldn't cause internal damage or much bleeding but probably would've caused death without medical attention. The slice was about eight inches long and required sutures and a temporary drainage tube.

Some of us have narrowed it down to three suspects. Interestingly, one of them happens to be the town's only veterinarian. Who else would know how to injure an animal in such a way that it would cause a slow death. Slow enough for the owner to be able to rush their cat to him before it died.

I could go on but that would just be too depressing.

Maybe if there was an obvious case of abuse they might actually do something. Wait! I remember an article in the newspaper about how they removed some chickens from a person's property because they didn't live in an agricultural district and therefore chickens weren't allowed. Way to go animal control. Good job.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilblu

Some of us have narrowed it down to three suspects. Interestingly, one of them happens to be the town's only veterinarian. Who else would know how to injure an animal in such a way that it would cause a slow death. Slow enough for the owner to be able to rush their cat to him before it died.
I so hope you are wrong about that, it is one of the scariest things I could imagine. In fact, it would be the only thing worse than the fact that those things are happening at all.

Your town has my prayers for what they're worth, hopefully whoever is doing it will do something that is considered worthy of investigation and prosecution, maybe vandalizing the mayors car?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never have...... not because I wouldn't, but because thankfully and I hope it stays this way, I've never had to.

Where I live, people care for their animals quite well....