Have you EVER heard such a thing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

It is weird. I have two kids who's birthdays are 4 days apart. If they were closer I might consider sometimes giving a combined party. This year they will be 17 (ds) and 10 (dd). Not really possible to do a combined party, now is there?

And asking you to pitch in on the cost, too tacky. I'd just respond, "No thank you!" My dd's best friend's Mom, who is a single parent and quite poor, often asks for family and friends to pitch in on a large gift. For example, a trampoline, or money to help pay for her first horse show. But it is just an option. Last weekend she had her 9 y/o party at the American Girl store in Chicago! Talk about wildly expensive! But rather than the usual big crowd, there were just 3 girls invited. It was fun, in a way, but not something I would ever do.
I hear ya. My kids are 17 (boy) and 11 (girl), so even if their bday was 1 day apart I couldn't (and wouldn't even try to) combine them.

As for the tackiness factor - it's BEYOND tacky. Like I said, if they were having financial problems and really struggling, and not making an all-out huge party with every kid in the neighborhood, and wanted us to chip in for something like food, I could feel okay about it - but a frivoulous "show offy must have" bouncy thing for a 5 year old and a zillion kids (1/2 of which she barely knows) is ridiculous when Dad's got the cash himself to pay for it.

Ya know, another thing...
I certainly HOPE they aren't going to be pissed off when people can't make it. My daughter will be in camp. My other SIL planned a vacation with her friends months ago. My other BIL recently made plans to go away that weekend since his wife will be away with her friends. My mother- and father-in-law may be out of the country (they are waiting for permission to go to cuba and it was delayed, so they might be going in July and they have to go when they can). They surely can't be MAD that the most important people - FAMILY - won't be able to go... none of us anticipating having to keep that weekend open for her birthday since her birthday isn't until the fall!