Have you ever had a pet that was MEANT to be a part of your family?

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think my girls were meant to be with me
At the time I adopted them, I had been wanting a companion SO BAD. All my friends were getting dogs and I wanted a pal too, except I'm a hardcore cat lover. So one day I go to the pet shelter and find a brother/sister pair I like. I call my parents to say hey I'm adopting these two and my dad says NO. I left in tears. We finally cleared things up and I'm back at the same shelter a week later with my mother looking for my original pair. Gone... But then my mom says "Theres a kitten over here who has the same pattern you described, is this it?" So I go over and it's the same pattern but not the same cat. Well ok...I squat down to open the cage and both girls are meowing at me and what is that I hear? Purring?? Yup. So I picked one up and my mom held the other and I fell in love and that's that.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think all of mine were meant to be with me, but the one that takes the cake is Levi. He was just 5 months old when he came to the shelter. He came in the day before my cat Smokey passed away. It was a thursday night & the vets office had already closed. My friend who used to foster kittens took a cage & him (at the time he was Orion) home. She took him the next day to be tested, he was negative so they let him run with their other cats. Smokey passed away Friday, and so did one of my friends cats. So Saturday we decided to go out to dinner to celebrate our kitties lives and their love of pizza. I took one look at that little grey ball of fur, sat down in the chair and started crying. He looked just like Smoeky did when she was a baby. He took one look at me jumped off my friends lap, ran to me and sat on my shoulder. I knew in my head he had picked me, but it took my heart a week to catch up. I went over to her house a few times and each time he got right in my face. I'm preety sure he was saying, "Mom when you going to take me home?" I had always wanted a cuddly cat. He still likes to be next to me all the time, but the funny thing is that ever since I brought him home, he has not once gotten in my face like that.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What sweet, sweet stories!

Wow - all of our kitties! The quick stories:

Lazlo

Our first indoor pet, Lazlo. A feral mom had kittens in a groundhog hole behind our home. We started feeding the little kitties. On July 4, the family left - but Lazlo was left behind. He cried and cried and cried - what was there to do but bring him inside? Of course, two days later the family came back. But Lazlo was already part of the family. So we grabbed Shelly so Laz could have a pal.

Tuxedo

Tuxedo was another brother of that original litter. But he was SO NASTY. He was the second-smallest of the litter, and he would arch his back, puff his tail and hiss and spit at us when we put food down for them. He TOTALLY disrupted the feral colony (we were TNRing by then) - and sent two kittens that turned up to the hospital for stitches. He was just awful, and we deemed him unadoptable. The others we fostered and adopted out (except Spooky, who came home, because it was a bad adoption.
).

That Winter it snowed in October and didn't stop. November, Gary went out to feed him - and he hissed and spit - and Gary sat down on a bench and cried out of frustration. Then Tuxedo came over and bumped him on the foot. And that was it. Tuxie was Gary's little boy after that. But we were terrified to bring him inside because we knew how awful he was with other cats. AND the little nut wouldn't use the shelter we built. January it was below zero for two weeks - and Gary couldn't take it anymore. We found a boarding house to take him in. We'd go visit him - and he'd leap into Gary's arms. It was breaking our hearts. After a few days of not visiting, the owner called and said, "I think something's wrong with your cat - every time I let him out, he runs to the carpet to pee." DUH. He's got a UTI!
So we rush over there and get him to the vet. Gary warns him that Tuxie is nasty. Vet says "I know how to deal with ferals." Tuxedo then proceeds to scratch his neck so bad the vet needed stitches!

Tuxedo stopped eating after a week. The Vet said: this cat has bonded with you, and if you want him to live, you have to take him home.

So what were we going to do? Risk it!

And he fit right in from the minute he was home. He wasn't aggressive to any of the other kitties, and they weren't aggressive to him. He was nice to fosters when they came - and he was a sweetie to Flowerbelle when we rescued her.

NOW he chases Spooky for his amusement - but he never hurts her. Tuxedo was just meant to be.

Flowerbelle

....as was Flowerbelle. If Gary hadn't stopped by the vet for whatever it was, he wouldn't have been there when the couple brought her in. They found her (so amazingly small and so amazingly sick, attacked by something, and badly sunburnt) in a liquor store parking lot. The vet said they're not a shelter, and unless they're going to pay for her, there's nothing they could do. So the guy said they'd just go put her back in the parking lot. Gary THOUGHT that was what he overheard, and asked the receptionist. Yup, that's what the guy said. Gary was out that door like a shot, chased them down, gave them a piece of his mind, and took the cat. And she is the cutest, sweetest, purringist, trillingest, most playful, kissing kitty ever.

It's just all about timing!

Laurie