Have you ever attempted to avoid a coworker?

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I avoided one one co-worker for a few weeks. She was horrible to me. She would talk behind my back, make fun of me to my face (but in a way that it could be taken that she wasn't, but I saw her looking over at me after she said things and I knew she was making fun of me.).

One day I was making drinks on the espresso machine and I'm not fast, but I do it at an ok speed. We were slightly busy but there was not a massive line of drinks to be made. We are talking a row of five and I was getting them done at a decent pace. She comes over and literally moves me out of the way and takes over because I was too slow. I may be slower than most but I make sure its done right and I keep my work area clean.

From what I heard from another co-worker, she didn't like me because I had priority issues. Supposedly when something needed to be done, I would go off and do something else. This is a load of bull because I do all the things that everyone else takes for granted. If I didn't wash the dishes or take out the trash, or clean up the work areas, or stock supplies, everyone else would be up poo's creek without a paddle because they were too busy to do it themselves. Also, there have been many times I have been left to run the cafe by myself for over an hour. (we have a big-ish cafe. Seats almost 50) I handle it just fine and I STILL leave the cafe clean.

So thankfully she left last weekend and I'll never have to deal with her again. Unfortunatly a few other people who were closer to her have taken her side in everything and I've become somewhat unliked there. I'm just going to grin and bare it and work even harder.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

hmm avoid a co-worker, no not really. I would normaly just tell them go away.
or in the case of my one boss after a few run in's he now comes in a hour after i leave/
I like his style

Our team at work is too close-knit to avoid anything so you either get it all out or grin and bear it

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, yes. She thinks that since she took a job over from me more than a year ago, I still want to hear everything about that job. Oh, and I want to make any difficult decisions for her and I want to still answer questions she should have learned the answer to a year ago...then she wanted to move into the cube next to mine...with her high pitched nasal whine and her constant "deskside meetings"

I finally had to go to the boss confidentially on that one, next thing you know "no unnecessary moves allowed". I seriously would have had to start working midnight to 9 am to get away from her.

There's another one I avoid situationally, as whenever she sees me eating she wants a detailed nutritional analysis of what I'm eating so that she can tell me it's gross and she wouldn't eat it,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

hmm avoid a co-worker, no not really. I would normaly just tell them go away.
or in the case of my one boss after a few run in's he now comes in a hour after i leave/
I wish I could...but the last time I did anything with the boss, they say me down and threatened my job (even when I knew it was right). So I just shut up and make sure he signs off on stuff.

As for co-workers, since I'm the only IT in the office, well I sort of have to "get along" with everyone. If I didn't have to deal with all 40 people on a day to day basis, then I would've told him to kiss my buttocks a long time ago