Have trouble finding a safe place for your dog to run unleashed? There's an app for that

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No local dog park? There's now an app to find a safe fenced in place for your dog. It's basically private homeowners renting out their fenced in dog-friendly yards at an hourly charge :rolleyes:

It's up to pet owners to fully check out a potential backyard and what supervision, if any, is provided by the host (or does the dog owner stay for the duration of playtime?). I wonder if homeowners using this app have additional home insurance to cover renting their property and any liabilities from injured dogs / people. I know that renting out a private swimming pool has to be covered by home insurance but many people are unaware of that fact until something happens.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There were a huge number of properties near me. It was sort of a shock that this has become a business and I had no idea about it, especially as a lifelong dog owner. I would have no need to take my pets (and a few places showed cats, one on a paddle board in a swimming pool) any place outside of my property though. But I did wonder about liability insurance. Many of the places included a swimming pool on the property which the dogs were able to use.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It was sort of a shock that this has become a business and I had no idea about it, especially as a lifelong dog owner.
I completely agree! :agree: This is the most absurd money maker scheme I have ever heard of since the pooper scooper service. :headshake: Most dog owners, including myself, share information about where to bring their dogs for outdoor exercise. Fortunately we have a good sized fenced in yard but even if we didn't I know enough people who have dogs and we could schedule doggie play dates in their yard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Local town ordinances and whatnot may prohibit dogs, leashed or not, in public parks and recreational trails and the like. So I can see why some people want to rent out their yards. Plus, some people just want to make extra money on the side. But what about the neighbors who may have to deal with barking dogs and the smell of dog poop? What if a kid gets bitten? What if unfamiliar dogs injure each other and the homeowner is sued? I see so many issues with renting out a yard for doggie play time. An actual doggie day care / boarding place may not be even better because that industry is unregulated and many places are not licensed or have proper trained staff and protocols in place.

:2cents:

Last edited: