Have To Stop Feeding My Ferals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annekarina53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's just horrible that she is bullying you like this.

:alright:

If the cats are older they probably won't move away for weeks, if at all. There must be mice and birds around that they can catch. They'll probably lose weight and not be as healthy as before, but if they have an empty house they can shelter in they will stay where they are.

If this woman really wants the cats gone she won't stop at threatening you. She will probably stoop to doing something to harm the cats.

Is there anyone who can intervene on your behalf? I think the vet that helped you TNR the cats must be sympathetic to their plight. If he is this woman's landlord he could tell her to either put up with the cats being there or move out.

I'm worried that if you don't stand up to this woman now things will just escalate.

annekarina53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. I think this reply was meant for this message. It's far too early in the morning I guess. Here's the reply again. I apologize.

The cats have been cared for by this vet who is her landlord but I took them to where Cat Welfare for TNR and had to go where they told me. He doesn't impress me as the kind of person who is going to want to get in the middle of this. People say he doesn't even like cats that much and that it's his SO who is not a vet that cares for the cats that come their way. Cat Welfare won't help. They won't even answer their phones or return messages these day as they are are overcome with cats and no way or money to care for them thanks to the political air right now. People who used to donate have stopped until they find out if charities are going to remain tax deductions. I'm not happy about this for one thing i won't be able to stand knowing those guys are hungry and for another I already distrust people enough and this will only make me retreat further into my shell. It does make a person wonder if this is all worth it.

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
first, you are doing a wonderful thing and shame on her. and yes these aweful people poison the kitties that you have worked so hard at keeping healthy and safe and from multiplying. you are doing a wonderful things for the community.
i would agree that you have to try and move the colony. maybe this means a loss of some who refuse to move. but i don't think you can continue on in these conditions.
also i would document everything you suspect she has done. should these cats be "your" cats she would be attempting to poison "your" cats. i would also get some sort of statement in writing from the other family.
the cats know where food comes from and as heartbreaking as it is to move them they know you and i think will follow you to a more concealed feeding station.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes: Prayers that you will get a good solution to this sad problem. It sounds as if you are isolated and overwhelmed - and it is a community problem, not just yours. Can you reach out to the other cat feeders and ask them to talk to the city person for you? Ask for the specifics of the complaint and then possible solutions. What I really dont like is that the warning letter has only a phone number - I prefer to correspond in writing. Have you tried calling Alley Cat Allies? Someone there may have some ideas. The mean lady may have the cats soiling her yard - is her yard fenced or is there any other way to contain the cats?
I understand that you do not want to have a feud or anything. Sadly, cat haters mess up things for everyone.
Please know that we are on your side - do not feel alone. You can also Private Message us, too. :alright: ~ Susan

annekarina53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:vibes: Prayers that you will get a good solution to this sad problem. It sounds as if you are isolated and overwhelmed - and it is a community problem, not just yours. Can you reach out to the other cat feeders and ask them to talk to the city person for you? Ask for the specifics of the complaint and then possible solutions. What I really dont like is that the warning letter has only a phone number - I prefer to correspond in writing. Have you tried calling Alley Cat Allies? Someone there may have some ideas. The mean lady may have the cats soiling her yard - is her yard fenced or is there any other way to contain the cats?
I understand that you do not want to have a feud or anything. Sadly, cat haters mess up things for everyone.
Please know that we are on your side - do not feel alone. You can also Private Message us, too. :alright: ~ Susan
Thank you. I appreciate all these suggestions and will see what i can do. I am a very private person and am not sure where each cat caregiver lives in the area but know they are there as they seek me out, talk to me as they ride or drive by and drop food off on my steps as well as cat toys which my pets get to take advantage of. I have more cat beds throughout this apartment that are hand me downs from someone pet that has passed on and they can't bear to replace. So I accept the gifts in the kindness given, clean them and sprinkle them with catnip so my fellows know they're safe. I even had an apartment building owner stop one time and talk to me about them. He was concerned about a tenant that had lost a pet and wanted to know if I'd seen it. I am thinking that if I stop feeding the cat caregivers will notice and maybe if I'm lucky come ask what has happened and i'll tell them. i'll have to be careful i know since i have no actual proof though i think from now on I'll make sure my phone is with me and if need be I'll hit record before anymore confrontations. Maybe if they care and find out what happened we can solve this. i don't know. I have to be careful not because of what this woman might do to me but because my own health is disturbed by this physically and I'm having some problems.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely pick up the dishes at night. The raccoons come out around midnight looking for food, maybe that's what she's mad about, they really make a mess. I don't know why people hate cats so much, would they rather be over-run with mice and rats? Rats and mice cause disease, people are going to be sorry if they get rid of all the outdoor cats.

annekarina53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would definitely pick up the dishes at night. The raccoons come out around midnight looking for food, maybe that's what she's mad about, they really make a mess. I don't know why people hate cats so much, would they rather be over-run with mice and rats? Rats and mice cause disease, people are going to be sorry if they get rid of all the outdoor cats.
I won't be picking up any dishes as I won't be feeding the cats anymore. There are others to be concerned about. I like my home and don't want to get kicked out nor do I want to make trouble for my landlord. There are wild animals all over this neighborhood and if she's blaming people feeding cats for that then she doesn't understand wild animals taking back their habitats and she considers herself more important that the animals who habitats we destroyed. She and the people she gets on her side pretend to be so caring but then they show their true colors. But I'm done. Someone else can step in this fight if they want to in this neighborhood. I'm not feeding them anymore much as it hurts I'm not doing it. I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't TNR'd them. I have a stack of about 30 to 40 papers of all the cats I did. I they had multiplied how many more cats would be running around?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to submit a written reply to the city's complaint.

In it you want to stress that:
1) They are not your cats. You are feeding cats who belong to a neighbor on a neighbor's property, at their request. You are merely a "pet sitter".
2) No outdoor cats are being fed on your property (you may need to say "one outdoor cat" since you mentioned the elderly cat) so the complaint is invalid.
3) Since you are "pet sitting" the neighboring properties' cats, you will start 2-3 scheduled feedings per day. To prevent attracting other wildlife, you will pick up the bowls/plates after 30 minutes (or 1 hour) post meal times.

Don't ignore the city's complaint. The assumption of a no response would be that you are "guilty". Don't call that phone number; write a letter so you have a paper trail.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope something can be worked out for the cats. That lady doesn't realize all the good you did by having them spayed and neutered. And she doesn't realize all the good the cats are doing by keeping away rats and mice.

annekarina53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you need to submit a written reply to the city's complaint.

In it you want to stress that:
1) They are not your cats. You are feeding cats who belong to a neighbor on a neighbor's property, at their request. You are merely a "pet sitter".
2) No outdoor cats are being fed on your property (you may need to say "one outdoor cat" since you mentioned the elderly cat) so the complaint is invalid.
3) Since you are "pet sitting" the neighboring properties' cats, you will start 2-3 scheduled feedings per day. To prevent attracting other wildlife, you will pick up the bowls/plates after 30 minutes (or 1 hour) post meal times.

Don't ignore the city's complaint. The assumption of a no response would be that you are "guilty". Don't call that phone number; write a letter so you have a paper trail.
yes, I've been trying to think of what to say as I'm not good at this sort of thing. But I'm not feeding them anymore. They will find food elsewhere I think but it won't solve the problem of the cats because they will stay on that property where they were raised and lived for many years. But it's not my thing anymore. This woman created the problem. She'll have to figure out how to solve it herself if she really wants to get rid of the cats. Maybe she just has a mean streak for me even though she doesn't know me.

annekarina53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope something can be worked out for the cats. That lady doesn't realize all the good you did by having them spayed and neutered. And she doesn't realize all the good the cats are doing by keeping away rats and mice.
Years and years ago my then SO and I visited Amsterdam. I love that city. They appreciate cats there as the early, early traders realized the importance of cats to kill vermin that the city that sits on the water has plus the cats that killed vermin on their ships. We were in a wine shop. No, I didn't see any open food but wasn't looking for that. There were two cats walking among the wine bottles and no one batted an eye. This we found was a common site throughout the city.

One place we made a point of visiting was this one:

The Catboat | De Poezenboot

This houseboat was left by a woman to the city when she died. And apparently she left enough money to care for the cats too. The place is filled with cats. I don't know how they decide who can stay or if it is a kind of rooming house for cats and they just come and go. They are free but there are climbing trees abundantly placed throughout the boat with their own litter boxes. I saw no cages and it was obvious the cats got the best of care. It cost nothing back then to visit the boat but of course donations were appreciated and we left one. We were there at feeding time. It was around noon their time. In came these tubs of what appeared to be steamed chickens. They were cooked. That was apparent but not like they would be for humans. They dumped those tubs into a stainless area where the chickens were cut up for the cats. No one here that I have ever heard of would even dream of feeding shelter cats in this way. The cats were well cared for but they were still left free to roam the city and clean up its vermin.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I still think that due to the city's involvement, you need to let the vet, who is this woman's landlord, know what is going on.

If I was the landlord, I would want to know that my tenant had complained to the city about this.

Especially since he is a vet, he and/or his partner may have resources to help to resolve the situation.

I'm sure the vet does not want trouble either. Since he already knows about the cats, he may be able to speak to his tenant and to the city in an effort to solve this without the cats being left to potentially starve or be harmed.

Regardless of what other people may tell you about the vet's attitude towards cats, you really don't know without speaking to him yourself.

The same goes for the relatives of the owners of the abandoned house.

And if this tenant attempts to poison the cats, she will be guilty of animal cruelty.

There are several issues involved here, and making assumptions may not be wise.

The cat colony itself needs to be rmoved somewhere else where they can thrive.

Is there no person or group in your area at all who can help with this?

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the owner of the property where the cats live needs to be copied on the letter of complaint. I know you said that the family is going through a rough time and the owner is very old now, but there is never a good time for something like this. They have entrusted you to feed the cats, so they need to know what is going on now. The complaint should have gone to them in the first place, since the cats are on their property not on yours.

You mentioned one specific feral group that is currently too overwhelmed to help. Have you spoken with other groups? I found this link online: Colony Cats (& dogs) - How We Help It lists several organizations in your area. Perhaps start calling some of those and request help with trapping and relocating the cats to a "friendlier" area.

I would also take a copy of the complaint to the vet and tell him that you think his tenant is the one who complained and see if he has suggestions.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The others are right! To protect yourself, it would be wise to send copies of both the city warning and your response to the complainer's landlord and to the property owner. Hopefully, you can find volunteers to help you with correspondence as you are so close to the situation and your health concerns are an issue.

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another thing that came to my mind: You dont want to feed any more. Bummer. But you like cats, and you have a skill that not many people have: You know how to trap. You might want to look into being a TNR trapper instead? Check out your town about the need for TNR. Maybe you can connect with other trappers? You can make a huge difference in your community by TNR, and you already made a difference for your colony. Great job!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wanted to let you know I truly feel for you. A city adjacent to mine adopted the same policy basically bc of a very similar situation - - one woman who was truly trying to do the best thing for the cats, TNRing and feeding, but one very vocal neighbor was very angry and before you know it - the legal result was almost identical to what you faced. I can't imagine how frustrated, hurt, worried etc, this has all made you. We worry about a similar situation developing in our neighborhood --- we've TNR'd a large colony down quite a bit in our neighborhood, but some neighbors still constantly harass the woman they believe is "the cause" (even though we took the tactic of working with her and explaining TNR -- and now she's the reason hundreds of kittens AREN'T born in the area - but she's seen feeding and so she still gets lots of harassment). Someone even began poisoning in our neighborhood. We constantly worry that it will start again and try to be "gentle leaders" as much as possible down the TNR path.....but we worry.

Again....you've done so much good and I hope it brings you some peace knowing that!