Have to put cat down today

edithtippett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

We took her to the vet and he says she has a large tumour around her pancreas. He says in his opinion these are rarely operable. We got him to take an x-ray anyway just in case, we will get the results today but it doesn't look good. I don't know what to do, I've never had to do this before. We aren't prepared to attempt kitty chemo, we feel it is cruel to make her suffer and then probably still not live much longer. He says that she would not likely have had any symptoms until a month ago at which point it will still have been too late. She's only 10 or 12, I thought we had years left. I want to bring her home and keep her for a few more days but that again is just for me, she can't eat more than a bite or two because the tumour is keeping food from getting in so she is starving to death. As well, this is my weekend to work and my roommate starts his new shift this weekend, also 12 hrs, and she would be alone and sick for 12-14 hrs at a time until Monday

akbeck98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. That is a hard spot to be in. I'm sending vibes to your and your baby.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness what an awful time for you

I think you know in your heart what to do but it's so painful to let go

Know that were all here for you though no matter what

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!!! That is horrible. I feel awful for you. I know you probably need the money, but I would'nt go in to work . You will be upset with yourself when she is gone for not being with her now in her time of need. The kitties and I will be praying for you both. Enjoy her good company please before it is too late. You can always find another job if neccesary. Soooo sorry for your heartbreak.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry - it is so hard when you have to say goodbye, especially when you are not expecting it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edithtippett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought her home for one more night. My roommate is going to be mad, she is his cat too and he wanted her to be put down today. I was going to but I went to see her at the vet and she was chowing down on food so I didn't have the heart to put her down when she looked so happy. But it has to be tomorrow, she won't last much longer and as I said as of tomorrow night at 6 I am going to be unable to care for her til Monday. She is still somewhat sedated from the examination so right now she is just sitting on a chair without moving. I am having a major carb binge, got mcdonalds on the drive home and am thinking about ordering pizza. Oh well, we will get through. She isn't the first cat I've lost, she is just the first one I had to make the decision for, all the rest were done by my mother or died in accidents or just disappeared.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhh Edith please do not time her death based on your work schedule, you are breaking my heart
Spend as much time with her as she will allow, she will let you know when the time is right. Cherish your baby.

EDIT: I do not mean for you to prolong this awful decision, or keep her in pain, I just do not want you to regret the timing of it.

crys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry for you and your baby. Take the time and do whats right for you. You will feel better afterwards and your kitty weill understand.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are in this position. Poor little kitty. I'm sorry her illness is so untreatable.

I think it is good that you are giving her one more day. If she has not eaten more than a bite or two, I think she is really close. Cats do hide pain well, and sometimes even purr when in pain. As you spend time with her tomorrow, you will know if it is time. Of course if you have the kind of job where you can take another day off, that would be great. But if you know it is kitty's time, then it may be kinder to let her go before she is more uncomfortable.

I had to decide when I put my Mattie down, and in retrospect I may have waited a little too long. I think I was keeping her alive for me, rather than her. It was so peaceful when she died, just very quickly slipped away. It would be nice if you and your roommate could both be there when it happens, so you have some support.

Please give your beloved kitty a smooch for me. Let her know about the Rainbow Bridge, and that someday you will be reunited. You can tell her to look for a jet black kitty named Mattie, who is Festus's sister. She has been over the Bridge for over a year now, and will know all the sunniest places to nap, and where to chase the butterflies.

edithtippett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I was right about one thing, my roommate is mad that I brought her home, he doesnt want to look at her knowing she has to go tomorrow. I understand his pain too, he loves her but wanted her to be already gone when he got home.

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by edithtippett

Well I was right about one thing, my roommate is mad that I brought her home, he doesnt want to look at her knowing she has to go tomorrow. I understand his pain too, he loves her but wanted her to be already gone when he got home.
I know its probably grief on your roomates part...and thats why he mad at you......but doesnt he see this is hard for you too........He needs to stop being a jerk......

I hope all goes well....and that in the end everyone is at peace w/ what needs to be done.....

Good luck

edithtippett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And she too seems to be mad that I brought her home.. she wouldn't look at me all night, didn't want to be touched or sit with me. She slept on a pillow beside me but I think that was mostly because she didn't feel like moving and because I closed my bedroom door to keep her from wandering into his room and upsetting him more. The vet opens in 45 min and I'm taking her there then, she is NOT happy at all-she was happy at the vets yesterday, chowing down and giving me nose rubs but essentially hasn't "spoken" to me since so I think she is impatient to go-she was ready yesterday.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
***hugs*** to all of you.
I am so sorry! She is at peace now and is not in pain. I hope you will be ok and feel better. I know how hard it is. Losing pets is as bad as losing a family member, sometimes worse.

edithtippett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Please give your beloved kitty a smooch for me. Let her know about the Rainbow Bridge, and that someday you will be reunited. You can tell her to look for a jet black kitty named Mattie, who is Festus's sister. She has been over the Bridge for over a year now, and will know all the sunniest places to nap, and where to chase the butterflies.
Well, I "talked" to Indika in my head and asked her to come back soon, but she said she didn't want to come back to us right now, she wanted to travel and meet new people, preferrably someplace warm. She said maybe in another couple of lives for her. She thought she would like to be all black or all white next time as that was "classy", not a tabby as they were too "common," and not one of those useless fluffy twits that only look good sitting on toilet paper rolls. (She was almost solid grey this time). I asked her about coming to visit me now and she said we had a good run but to get over it and move on as she had no intention of coming back in spirit form and visiting me in bed at night like that stupid Thomasina does. (Tommy crossed over in Aug 2004, she and my other cat disliked him and tormented him all the time). I often feel someone walking on the bed and kneading the blankets but no one is there. She said he was too dumb to figure out how to come back and since she didn't like him in life she had no intention of hanging around with him afterwards. She said she was busy picking her new body and said "So long and thanks for all the fish" and left (her other human likes Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy). I thought maybe I was a bit nuts, talking to her like that. Then I got up and went to the fridge and sitting on a shelf inside was a heart shaped Pounce kitty treat, her favourite.

So my other kitty has been crying for her every day- they were together for 8 of her 10 yrs. I will get her a new friend soon but not until at least after Christmas, I think it is unfair to bring a cat home in that chaos.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you were able to talk to her
I hope you and your other kitties can stop crying and remember the good times you had together. She is free from pain now, may she forever rest in peace.

edithtippett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, I am finding that my other kitty is more crying for the variety of special treats that I was giving Indy to try and tempt her appetite... guess the mourning period is over for neko. aah, such a loving creature lol.
unfortunately i gave them all to the local animal shelter thinking that neko wouldn't eat them, so I have to go buy more.