Have To Get Rid Of This Cat

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no matter how many couches And rugsI buy, they are destroyed in 6 months. I have had other cats and it was not like this. I bought scratching posts, repellent spray, the sticker paper. Exercising him more wont makehom not scratch. I cannot sacrificemy life for a cat. The soft paws seem like asolution but they fall off. Why the hell did we stop declawing?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put a cover over the couch? I am thinking of getting washable covers for my furniture. I bet it would be hard for a cat to scratch through a cover if it was well made. Please don't de-claw, it's inhumane, and the cat will have more problems afterwards.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because it is amputation and causes untold amounts of suffering. Have you tried the corrugated scratchers from Walmart? Once I got those and applied a little of the catnip supplied, they quit clawing my furniture. I know this is truly frustrating, but you have to find a solution that works before you do something drastic. You have to make the furniture and rugs not so appealing. Go get some cheap double sided tape and apply it EVERYWHERE he scratches on your furniture, cats truly hate sticky claws. Then get some different repellant for your rugs, SOMETHING has to work,. When my neutered male cat sprayed urine all over my new house when we moved I got to the point where I really disliked him, ( you still love them, but you don't like them very much right then) but you have to hate the behavior, not the cat. It took a year, but he finally did quit, and yours will too when you hit on the right solution. Do some research on repellants and see which one worked teh best. Please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The soft paws stayed on my old cat for like 5 weeks, but not on this one. I will try putting the large size on him and I will put them on fully grown cla s not clippec ones. Maybe that will work.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of scratcher do you have? My cat does not like the round ones. She uses my tall square scratching post. Also likes to scratch on a slanted post when she stretches. Mostly uses the bed I got her. $50 for xmas last year. Stretches on the side then scratches. Here's a photo of it
20170226_220100_zpsdf1cwwyy.jpg
20170911_095745.jpg

Last edited:

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We decided not to get a couch and appreciate that Vega doesn't scratch on wooden surface. We regret that we didn't buy a storage bed and now the bottom of the box springs is almost gone. I guess we can't always make a cat non-cat... :(

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
We decided not to get a couch and appreciate that Vega doesn't scratch on wooden surface. We regret that we didn't buy a storage bed and now the bottom of the box springs is almost gone. I guess we can't always make a cat non-cat... :(
I removed the box spring under my my bed. My cat Maggie would get on her back, put her paws up, and crawl all over it like spiderman

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no matter how many couches And rugsI buy, they are destroyed in 6 months. I have had other cats and it was not like this. I bought scratching posts, repellent spray, the sticker paper. Exercising him more wont makehom not scratch. I cannot sacrificemy life for a cat. The soft paws seem like asolution but they fall off. Why the hell did we stop declawing?
Our little tabby scratched everything. So, he lived in the screened in porch, and we let him out every day while we were outside to run and play. Sometimes he would come in for an evening supervised visit while we watched tv, before we went to bed. Then back out to his room he would go. (because he scratched everything).
Little over a year old, he got a tick borne disease, that should have killed him.
We spent thousands trying to save him, and....he made it. (and if I had to, I would have spent more) (and I would do it again if need be)
He's now a strictly inside cat and can scratch whatever he wants.

Because... My cat is worth more than furniture.

I'm not saying that I'm "holier than thou".
I'm just saying that the math is easy.
In my case, it's been tested and proven.

Last edited:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest you try the smart cat ultimate cat scratching post.

Google it.

My cats only scratch on these posts!!!!!!! Never furniture or carpets , ect.

The posts are expensive, but I got all 3 used, but in perfect condition from kijiji.

I rubbed cat nip on the posts and then played with the cats using their toy mouse on a wand, draging it over the scratching posts.

They almost instantly learned the purpose of the posts and use it several times every day. Having 3 posts means they never have to go far to find one.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Along with what others said, you could also start trimming the cats nails.

Cat Grooming Tips
Why Do I Need to Trim My Cat's Claws?

At the end of the day, it's just stuff. Dead, lifeless stuff. A cat is a living, breathing creature that has emotions, that bonds with you and loves you. I'd rather have the beloved company of a kitty than perfect pretty furniture (Who do I care to impress anyway? Bunch of snobs?) that will get old and grungy on it's own anyway even without animals.

Furniture is hardly a "life sacrifice"

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest you try the smart cat ultimate cat scratching post.

Google it.

My cats only scratch on these posts!!!!!!! Never furniture or carpets , ect.

The posts are expensive, but I got all 3 used, but in perfect condition from kijiji.

I rubbed cat nip on the posts and then played with the cats using their toy mouse on a wand, draging it over the scratching posts.

They almost instantly learned the purpose of the posts and use it several times every day. Having 3 posts means they never have to go far to find one.
Now I remember the name! I posted a pic of that a few posts back

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our poor old couch has had the foam replaced in the cushions but it is made from a very sturdy material that had stood up under years of cats. We will not get a new one.

I have two of those great, modern looking scratchers, too. Two of the four love them. I have had them over a year and have yet to turn them over to the new side. Great investment.

I also have lots of cat-preferred carpeted cat scratchers. They get messy, tending to get fibers pulled out. I keep them as long as possible, trimming strings and vacuuming under them, but there comes a point when I have to do something with them. I have tried in the past to replace the carpet but it is hard to do. The next time, I think will wait until I have several that need to be redone, hire a handyman and have him recover them.

Sometime we do not understand the work and value changes going into having pets. Thankfully, I do not live in a show house. It is clean and livable, also cat friendly.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe figure out whats so attractive about the places the cat likes to scratch and get a scratcher based on that? If the cat likes rugs, maybe get a similar one just for the cat and put double sided tape on all the others rugs in the house. Or try a carpeted cat tree that has the same texture as the rugs.

My cats only scratch vertical surfaces and ignore any horizontal scratchers, so I got them a tall cat tree. They don't like cardboard either, but they seem to like sisal.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furniture is hardly a "life sacrifice"
We have some really expensive furniture, and we have some really cheap furniture.
But, at the end of the day? My family does more damage over the holidays to my furniture than my cat ever has. LOL

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawing your cat to get them to stop scratching makes as much sense has cutting your dogs vocal cords to get it to stop barking. I'm afraid you need to train your cat.