Have to confine my cat for apartment complex maintenance. How do I make this easier on her?

mithranqueen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So once every other month my apartment complex comes around and does maintenance. It's on my lease that animals must be confined during this time if you aren't home. Of course, they generally give us less than 24 hours notice, so taking the day off work is not always an option (I try to, when I can though). I have a large, and not very full walk-in closet, so kitty (almost-1-year-old calico) has plenty of space, light, toys, food, water, litter, etc. But she hates it. She cries and tears up the rug under the door. She has to stay in there till I get home from work, so usually about 7-8 hours.

Anyone know of any tips/tricks I could use to make this less stressful for her? Thanks.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The closet is probably the best option unfortunately. I would suggest the bathroom but maintenance might need access to that. I know the cat hates being in the closet but it's for her safety. I'm sure you don't want your cat running out the door and you can't depend on the maintenance workers to run after the cat if she escapes as soon as the door opens or not step on the cat by accident if she gets underfoot.

It sounds like the closet set up is just fine. Maybe add a battery operated radio and set that to a news station on a low volume so your cat doesn't feel so lonely. I would put a big sign on the closet door to inform the maintenance workers that the cat is inside and to not open the door unless they absolutely need access to the closet for some reason.

I have maintenance done occasionally in my unit but fortunately management gives at least a few week's notice. I don't think I have ever had to confine the cats or had to take a day off from work to watch the cats. Maintanence usually needs access to the entire unit to inspect all the sprinklers and fire alarms and whatnot so I just inform them ahead of time to be aware of the cats and to not let the cats into the bedroom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mithranqueen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I'll try putting the radio on, that might help.

Our closet is actually bigger than our bathroom so it's really the "best" place we have for her, I just hate hearing her cry like that :(