have mama feral and her 3 kittens, am I doing this right?

sherry52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I need advice.  A couple of weeks ago we trapped mama and her 3 kittens which were about 6 weeks old.  We had mama spayed and we are trying to tame her as well as the kittens.  We have separated mama from her kittens which are about 3 months old now.  Kittens are doing well, purr and sleep on my lap, eat from my lap.  They do hiss when I first pick them up, but start purring and make good lap kittens.  Should we reunite kittens and mama?  I am afraid the kitttens will regress.  Mama cat is very afraid of us, but will sit in my husband's lap when wrapped in a towel and has purred some.  To complicate matters, we have 2 old house cats, both spayed females.  So we keep babies in master bathroom, mama in downstairs bathroom while other 2 get to stay as normal as possible.  WE hope to have one big happy family of cats someday soon.

Thanks,

Sherry

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you planning on keeping all of them? If so I'd spay any female kittens around 4 months and males around 6 months. As far as reintegration of the feral mother with the kittens, I'd think it your theory of keeping them away from her is best. I would also take it a step further and socialize them with other people too. This will keep them from being so skittish as adults.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are doing well! This trick with wrapping up the mom is nice. There are forumists here who use it successfully on kittens. Apparently it can be used also on adult ferales too!   :)

Do you talk a lot with a soft, friendly voice?

You could also try to use a Feliway diffuser. Not necessary, but may help.  Soft, calming music can too be useful.

Im not sure there is advantages with reuniting her with her kittens. May be best to keep them separated, once you did separated them and all settled down with it.

But Im thinking if you can let her met your residents.  It is often helpful.   

Have a cautious introduction - although shy ferales are often easier with introduction than say, bought cats. They tend to want to be accepted, and tend to be submissive to the residents.

I understand the quarantine is over now?

Keep asking and helding up updated!

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
StefanZ makes an interesting point. When you had the mother spayed, did you have her checked for FELV/FIV? If not you may want to before introductions. Also, if the mother has it there is no guarantee the kittens have it. They need to be tested about 6 months.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!!! :D and thank you for rescuing this little family. You are doing a GREAT job! :clap::clap::clap: I would not reunite mom and kittens. Keep them separated for the time being. Eventually, once everybody is well socialized and making progress then you can have that big happy cat family. It will happen. The kittens sound like they are already doing wonderful and the purring is your first sign and first step in the right direction. For mom, that fact that she will purr while in your husband's lap, wrapped in a towel, is excellent. Take it very slow and have lots of patience and you will be rewarded. You could also start to allow your 2 older friendly cats into the mom cats room for short periods. Most times feral cats just love other kitties when they are being socialized indoors. Makes them feel more safe and secure seeing other cats. Of course, they are all different, but it is worth a try. Just make sure mom is tested and has had her shots before introductions. I would not let mom cat out of her safe room until such time that she is completely trusting of you and your husband. You don't want her running off in the house hiding somewhere you can't reach her or find her. Best to keep her confined for now. Best of luck!!!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes: :wavey:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherry52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the tips, especially testing mom for feline leukemia, we have an appt for tomorrow for testing.If mama is positive, does that mean babies will have it too?   Our indoor cats are so old and have been indoors only for so many years, I had forgotten about all the hazards out there in the real world.  They did not test her when they spayed her, thinking she's be released.  I do talk in a baby-talk voice to them and they do listen.  I even sewed a flanned pocket onto a tshirt to bundle the babies in, one at a time.  Today, 2 of the 3 kittens jumped onto my lap without me picking them up, hurray!  I already have appts for all 3 to be fixed, we have a free program here in Colorado Springs to help.   Thanks for the help, what a great site this is!

Sherry

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Sherry! Let's just hope that mom tests negative :cross: :vibes: I will be waiting for your update. IF she tests positive then the kittens will also be infected as they were exposed in utero and from her milk. BUT!!!!!!!! Let's not go there and I am sending mega vibes for negative results. The kittens sound so very sweet and adorable. I LOVE the little pouch you added on your t-shirt. HOW CUTE! :clap::clap::clap: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Keep us posted - we DO care!! :D :hugs: :rub:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherry52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes!  Test was negative, I am so relieved.      

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: OH WONDERFUL, HAPPY news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a relief!!!!! :clap::clap::clap: I think your happy cat family is heading in the right direction now! :D :clap: