Have I spoiled my feral and now she doesn't need to socialize?

kriscomms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. New here. I adopted a cat 9 months ago. Dolly was born wild, rescued by the Humane Society when she was 1 year old. She had to have her right eye removed and one of her canine teeth. When she recovered, she spent about 9 months in foster care. They sent her back because they couldn't get her to let them pet her. She spent a few months back at the Humane Society. I adopted her when she was 2 years old.

Since then, I've let her do things at her own pace knowing that she needs more patience than anything. She loves to play with her wand toy and silicone teething balls on cloth elastic bands-funny story as to how that was discovered. She is able to eat around me. She has recently discovered my bed and she loves sleeping on it until I enter the room. She will sniff my hand and take a step back. She still is very skittish when I start moving around and she will run back into the bedroom and hide. And sometimes, she will sit and watch me even when I'm making noise.

I had a good routine for 5 months. She got food at the same times, I cleaned the litter at the same times, and I played with her whenever she showed interest. I met someone who spends every weekend here in my 600sq-ft condo-the small space makes it difficult to allow her to have a true safe space. This has upset her routine a lot even though I feed her at the same times and clean the litter at the same times. Being the concerned European person that I am, trying to make everyone fat, I always brought her food close to her so she would eat when he is here. Despite this, she spends most of her time under the bed even when we are sleeping.

Many people have told me that I am too patient with her and that I've spoiled her and now she doesn't feel the need to socialize. Some of the literature I read instructs to lock her out of her safe space which should train her to trust more. I am trying this but I can't help but feel it is wrong. It's been about a week. She started playing a little again after a week, but she sulks a lot, and goes to the litter less often. She has started meowing. Before I would get something like whisper of a meow when we play with the wand toy.

Am I doing the right thing? She desperately wants to go back into the bedroom, back to her favourite windowsill and back to my bed. I know she needs patience but if this isn't the right thing to do then I'm tormenting her and myself trying to be patient for no good reason.

Thanks,
Kris

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. The combination of a new person around her and blocking her away from her safe zone is not a good idea, IMO. If anything, she needs that secure place to be right now. Give her back her safe space and just keep on doing what you are doing. There is no such thing, in my mind, where you can spoil a cat to the point of making them more anti-social. She has had a rough life so far, and it could take a whole lot longer for her to be able to forget a lot of that. It can take some cats years to fully come around, and she may never be a cuddly cat anyway. You were making progress, so things will get better with more time, perhaps a lot more time.

You can construct another hiding place for her in your bedroom, with the hopes she will adopt it in lieu of under the bed. But, that may also take a long time, if ever.

If this new person is a permanent addition to your home, eventually they may need to start feeding her and doing things for her so that she learns to accept they are part of her world now - but, that can wait a while.

I am sure other members who have more experience that I do will come along with other ideas for you as well. Hang in there, and let her have her space. Cats don't work on our time table, we work on theirs, especially ferals.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . Your poor cat had a miserable 2 years before you found her, rejected by foster care and returned to a shelter. Once she had a home, it was very understandably and normally a slow adjustment. She is undoubtedly extremely happy to live with you and has extended herself as far as she can right now. I would just return to normal, let her have her previous routine and space and go on from there. She may not change her behavior for quite a while and may not warm up to your friend as much as to you but over time she will realize that her life is stable and unchanging. She has had too many changes already and is not able to trust that another big one is not coming if you start to adjust her life even more.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner and fionasmom fionasmom , your kitty has been through a lot and yes give her the bedroom back. One of the others things that you probably already know is to act indifferent at times. When you walk by her don't say anything or try to pet her, cats hate being ignored!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever I see a person who is loving, caring and that has a cat that has responded well to them, I know the human has been doing something right. You have a spiked kitty? No. A well loved kitty. I always want those who truly lii on be their cats to follow their instincts. Your instincts are very good. Patience is key. Each cat adapts at their own pace. There are things you can do to help her socialize more but I agree with giving her back her safe sanctuary and work from there. The comment about her using the litter box less is especially noticeable to me. She needs to feel safe enough to keep up the good things she was doing. We can give you tips for working with her in the bedroom. My vote is to let her back in, give her time to readjust and then start on the process of more socializing. Your instincts are good. You know her better than anyone so please trust yourself. She has made a lot of progress with you and will continue. Thank you so very much for giving her a fur ever home and love! Please do keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kriscomms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I let her back in last night. She came out several times and slow blinked at me. That’s when I really knew I did the right thing by letting her back in. She is overseeing the neighborhood right now and basking in the sun. And she played all night with her toys because they were everywhere this morning.
Thanks again everyone. This really means a lot to me. I will keep you posted on her progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kriscomms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

Good news! Last night when I went to bed, Dolly jumped on the bed with me and stayed with me for about 5 minutes! I was so afraid to scare her that I didn't move. I did adjust my foot and then she casually jumped off.

Milestone!!!!