Have been sick three times in three months... odd?

jraymond

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I started feeling almost flu-ish a few months back (November), runny nose, very sore throat, white tonsils, etc. I managed to get over it in about a week or so. A month later, I developed another cold where I completely lost my voice, white tonsils again and I felt pretty sluggish (not much energy, etc). I went to the doctor hoping she'd give me some antibiotics but by the time I was able to see the doctor, most of my symptoms had dissipated so she sent me on my way with no antibiotics. Ever since then though, I have had plugged up sinus' (gross I know) and again, the white tonsils. The weird thing is only one of my tonsils is white - just a piece of it and it's always in the same section every time. I also developed some weird respiratory thing over Christmas.. there were a few days where I was not to the point of really having problems breathing but my airway was really restricted, it was especially worse at night and I had to lie on my side in order to breathe properly. I even caught myself wheezing a few times just breathing in and out (sitting on the couch, etc... not doing anything strenuous). This past week I developed another cold (again - white tonsil), stuffed up sinus' and burning sinus pain and sore/raw throat. Then Saturday/Sunday I developed the same respiratory feeling with the tightness but not as bad as it was over the Christmas break. I'm not able to cough or anything - that's almost the feeling I've got in my airway - like something needs to come out but there's nothing there. I tried to explain that to my husband earlier and he didn't seem too concerned about that and said he'd hear if I was really having problems with breathing/wheezing.

Any suggestions or ideas? Maybe you've gone through something similar? I usually don't get this sick - three times in three months! That's a new record for me. I have been under a lot of stress lately though - I started a new job in August, husband was laid off, he had H1N1 and got in a car accident all in a month, oh and we had to put our four month old kitty down a few weeks prior to those other things happening. Just wondering if it's maybe stress related?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the doc do a throat swab at all? How bout a sinus culture?

A few thoughts to think about:

- periods of stress decrease your immune system
- being tired, run down, etc. decreases your immune system
- being upset can decrease your immune system

You've been thru a lot in the past 3 months, I am not surprised to hear you've been catching a lot of viruses.

How's your eating habits? (poor eating doesn't help, but eating extra vit C will help your body fight off viruses n' such, so do other supplements)

There's been 2 times in my life where I caught bug after bug after bug.

1st: when I went from being a stay at home mom, to working. I hadn't been exposed to many germs as my kids were generally healthy, then I went to work and was exposed to ALL the germs out there. I was sick on and off for a year.

2nd: current present time: I've been off work since Feb. 07 due to medical issues.... for the first year, I was being retrained. Then Nov. 08 I was pulled out of school and have been at home since with limited physical abilities. For the last 6 mos or so, I've caught every bug that comes around. My kids bring home a sniffly nose, I get a back sinus cold (meaning I'm knocked down for at least 2 days, and takes about a week for me to get better).

I was sick Christmas night thru Jan. 2 or 3.....sick again on Jan. 10.

But I do know that my immune system is incredibly run down because I am not eating as well as I should, put on weight over the time I've been disabled, depression, stress, not exercising due to physical disabilities, etc.

So this repeated sickness is normal for me.

Your latest one, sounds like mine over Christmas.... my face was swollen from sinus and lymph nodes, sore throat, and a tightness in my chest that felt like there was something stuck at the bottom of my lungs. I ended up going and buying a bottle of Beneyln Mucous and Phlegm relief and it HELPED. You don't want to take a suppresent, your body needs to rid itself of the junk.....so look for an expectorant. There's a few good ones out there, and they usually have mucous and phlegm in the name. Buy some vit. C tablets, and take a multivitamin (even if you do eat well, your body needs more to fight off illnesses).

It's unfortunately a running joke in my house, but.... I'm not sick again, its that I'm still sick

Hope you feel better soon.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was me, I might have them do a throat swab, etc. to rule out strep, or have them check for a sinus infection.

Hope you feel better soon.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have gone for years without a cold or flu, but I also had a period a few years ago that I would barely get over one bout before it fired back up again. Finally, my doctor gave me a Z-pack and combined it with another antibiotic for 30 days instead of the usual 10. He said that that is what it takes for a chronic sinus infection.

I have to admit I haven't been 100% since I had pneumonia about a year ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jraymond

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately I cannot get throat swabs done. They tried about a year or two ago when I was sick and lost my voice. I almost threw up on the doctor! Ever since then they refused to take throat swabs. My mom is the same way.
I'm just wondering if it's all the stress that's happened last year is finally catching up to me. In the last year, I moved to a different province, finished school, got married, got a new job, husband was in a car accident, husband was laid off from good paying job (in the same week!), had to put our 4 month old kitty down after only having him for a month and then working 50 hour weeks in December alone plus my own business on the side.
That could just be it. It just seems weird that I've been so sick in such a small amount of time but I've also been worn out a lot lately (spreading myself too thin). I've tried to eat healthy - bring veggies to work (I sit at a desk for 8 hrs a day and stare at a computer) and yes I eat those veggies. The last time I tried to go to the doctor (back in December) when I was sick, she looked at my throat and goes, "You may have sleep apnea" due to the way my tongue was positioned in my mouth but never gave me anything for the sinus'... just said it could be sleep apnea.