Have a Quick Question

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my kitten Hobbes is going to get fixed in a couple months, and I am trying to do research on how you take care of a male cat after he is fixed. I’ve read that you should prevent them from jumping for 2 weeks or something like that. Now, I don’t even know if this is true, but if it is, then I have no clue on how you prevent them from jumping. My cat is everywhere. On the table, the dresser, the bed, you get the idea. I have a feeling that you guys have had this experience, and I am hoping you have some tips for me. Thanks!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Lennybells Lennybells

Getting neutered is much easier on male cats than getting spayed is on female cats. There's no need to try and prevent them doing what they usually do for as long as two weeks. When your cat first comes back from the vet he may be a little groggy from the anesthesia. You should keep him somewhere quiet until he comes around fully, but that usually only takes a few hours. In my experience my cats have been fully awake by the time I collect them after surgery. They've never even needed to wear a cone.

We have an article on possible after surgery problems here, but it's very rare for things to go wrong.

Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery - TheCatSite

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just had my 3rd boy done 4 day's ago. He is on cage rest at the moment for something else. But no cone needed and was only told to watch for the incision bleeding more than a small drop. With my other 2 I did move the high cat trees and kept them separated whilst I wasn't there, just to stop the wrestling. All my boy's have acted as if nothing had happened that's the reason I moved the cat trees. After a few day's everything was put back.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have released male ferals after a night's stay at the vet. No one ever had a problem or never returned, so I know that they all healed. Having said that, my own flame point boy who is indoor only became obsessed with licking the area which had to be watched.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had many pet, feral, and barn cats neutered over the years and I call things back to normal after 24 hours, 48 for some if they seem irritated by the incision. I've never needed to use a cone or keep anyone seriously confined for long. Like fionasmom fionasmom I've let ferals go well before the 2 week mark. Even if I kept feral cats inside, there would be no way of checking the incision site every day!