Have a new cat, the others hate life...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds relatively normal to me. i don't think she's afraid - i think she's just making sure he knows who's boss!

calamintha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would let them be as long as they are not actually fighting. By that I mean locked together in a ball rolling around. As long as it's confined to hissing and spitting let them sort it out. As long as Toby looks on it as playing he probably will not hurt her. They may have some tussles but it's all part of working out the pecking order.

One of my cats is a loner cat and gets very stressed out when we have introduced new cats. We always use the Feliway diffuser and know when it needs to be refill by his behavior. I have found in the past it takes him about 4 to 5 months to fully accept the newcomer but cats are different and Hallie may not take as long. Just be patient.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mopar92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, they never lock up and ball, but she does lunge at him and swat like mad and growl/scream for a second and they are apart again. He's almost amused by it, she's obviously mad! I was just not sure if it was healthy to let them battle. He will corner her and stair, yet she will swat back, but never run away. I don't know why she does not avoid the battle,but actually starts it. They will do this for an hour until I put him upstairs for the night so that we can sleep... thanks a ton for all of the help and advise... Keith

mopar92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Toby is and has been fixed since we got him. However, he is trying to murder Hallie. Actually, he's trying to "mount" Hallie we think. He does not bother the 2 other girls that much. Hallie is about his age also. She cries and screams bad and he just continues to stay on top of her and bit and wrestle. I don't think he is trying to kill or harm her, but she sure sounds like it. He has adapted ok to his new "home". We still have to put him upstairs for the night sadly. He attacks them and keeps us up ALL night. He is super sweet to us humans though.Upstairs has a lot of room and food/water/litter box. We also have a large cage that we will do time out but he can move around and lounge on the shelves in that. We have tried isolation, playing with them together, tried to let them be alone and work it out. We are not giving up on Toby, but I am sure Hallie will have an eye torn out by the time this is over. Remember, he's not really hurting her or drawing blood. She over reacts a little, and sometimes, just sometimes, I think she taunts him to a certain degree because that is what she did with the others before he came into the family.Thanks to all who have helped , Keith and Melissa

mopar92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bump... thanks for anything to help him from killing the others...

witch's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How's it going? I found this thread because we just got a new cat (2 years old, neutered male) three days ago and our resident cat (4 years old, spayed female) is angry. She hisses at him if he gets too close or surprises her, sticks her nose in his butt and hisses at him when he turns around to see what's going on back there, and last night she chased him down and threw a punch. She's tense and slightly standoffish with us people, too.

I don't want to hijack your thread--just eager to hear any techniques that might help. We have a 2700-square-foot house and the cats are all over it--how much Feliway is necessary, and is a diffuser the best way to administer it in a house with lots of rooms?

mopar92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3000 sq ft and we use the heck out of feliway... Last night Toby got Hallie by the throat and she made a muffled squak. I was really concerned. She was hurt. He is such a sweet angel, but he tires to kill the girls in the play fight. Like he takes play too far. I dont think he'd kill them, but it sure sounds like he is.... I dont know what to do. I regret getting him, but my love for animals says he was getting throw into the street by the previous family who adopted him. So, I snagged him and love him like my own. He's a real sweet tiger, but he just does not know when play is not fun for the ladies..

mopar92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hallison aka Hallie

mopar92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, the latest. Toby and the laoner cat Meeka, are really going at it. Meeka runs from him and is clearly scared of him. Toby growls and hisses at her as if she is the instigator! Weird. He only goes after her and she is not old or out of shape. She is not really the dominate one either... strange. I don't know how to handle him. We keep yelling NO at him and put him upstairs in the 2nd level for a while for jail time. It's just not working. he does not seem to get it.

tempteq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by witch's mom

How's it going? I found this thread because we just got a new cat (2 years old, neutered male) three days ago and our resident cat (4 years old, spayed female) is angry. She hisses at him if he gets too close or surprises her, sticks her nose in his butt and hisses at him when he turns around to see what's going on back there, and last night she chased him down and threw a punch. She's tense and slightly standoffish with us people, too.

I don't want to hijack your thread--just eager to hear any techniques that might help. We have a 2700-square-foot house and the cats are all over it--how much Feliway is necessary, and is a diffuser the best way to administer it in a house with lots of rooms?
I'd isolate the newcomer if you haven't already. Most of the articles on introducing cats don't even have them seeing each other for the first week. It's usually better to let the resident get used to the smell of the new cat before even seeing each other.

If things aren't calm now, I would suggest a separation and slow introduction since it might be helpful for your resident girl.

tempteq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mopar92

Ok, the latest. Toby and the laoner cat Meeka, are really going at it. Meeka runs from him and is clearly scared of him. Toby growls and hisses at her as if she is the instigator! Weird. He only goes after her and she is not old or out of shape. She is not really the dominate one either... strange. I don't know how to handle him. We keep yelling NO at him and put him upstairs in the 2nd level for a while for jail time. It's just not working. he does not seem to get it.
How old is Toby? And the others?

Who is your alpha?

Maybe keep Toby to his own space for now and introduce Toby to your alpha one-on-one? She might be able to make him understand who is boss.

I think once Toby is neutered, that will help your situation. Is that scheduled for the near future?