Havahart Trap Question

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for asking. I am getting a bit discouraged. I haven't caught any more cats and it turns out that the one I did catch was already spayed. She wasn't ear tipped and had no obvious scar so the vet opened her up but there weren't any parts. So she had an incision she didn't need. She wasn't taming up at all and they said she would probably just end up a barn cat so I waited for several days after the surgery and went and got her yesterday and released her back to her territory. She freaked me out because she ran in completely the opposite direction of where she should have gone when I let her out. She was there this morning though when I went to feed so that was a relief. I will keep trying.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was your teaching cat. In this life and when she crosses over to the next she will be a spirit animal who watches over you as you do this work.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't managed to catch anymore but am still trying. This morning I used chicken in the trap and when I walked up one of them was approaching the front of the trap so, if I had waited a bit longer, I might have gotten one. I know some of the problem is me because I am so worried about it that I am only willing to leave the trap for a little bit. I am also somewhat constrained in time because I do it on the way to work in the mornings. I put the trap down, go and get my coffee, and then come back. I am not giving up. I think the chicken seems like it might work and I have ordered a new trap that is a little smaller and seems like it will be more manageable for me.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got a new trap. It is a Tomahawk with a cover and I got a door for one end that is clear so it looks like a tunnel. The trap is smaller and easier for me handle. I caught a kitten yesterday. It was one that had just started showing up with its mom. I think it is around three months old but I never got a really good look at it because I didn't want to mess around with the cover and freak it out more than it needed to be. It is safely up at the shelter. The older ones that I really need to catch are going to be a challenge I am afraid. I have a bit of a dilemma in that I have two groups of cats, three that are less than a year old (mom was hit by a car and killed a few months ago) that I feed by a business (business owner knows I am going to try to trap) and a much larger group that I feed at a rental house about a half a block from the other group (current renter knows I am trying to trap). The problem is that the current renter is going to be moving within the next six months (building a house that is almost done) so I feel some pressure to catch those cats. However, with the group of three, they are living under a shed by a house that is under construction (it is across the street from the business where I feed) and I am not sure if the shed is going to be torn down or how the owner will deal with them if he notices them once he moves in. Anyway, I am not sure where to focus my efforts. Currently, I am alternating which ones I try to trap. The group of three seems completely uninterested in the trap so I haven't gotten any of them yet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
In case you haven't tried it, I've read that Kentucky fried chicken seems to be just about irresistible. All the very best to you!!