Hatchet is missing!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, dear, I'm sorry neither of those cats was Hatchet. Keeping the coming that he'll soon turn up.
to you.

katkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
COME HOME HATCHET!!

Please don't stop looking, never give up! When my mother was little, her cat got out and went missing for over two weeks. Then one day, he just wondered back home. Skinny but fine. Mom never let him out again.

COME HOME HATCHET. COME HOME!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
Still no Hatchet.

However I am wondering something...am a little suspicious.
Okay,my old neighbours had two cats.Anytime Hatchet got out,he went over there and they fed him.He was always an indoor cat,but he figured out one of the windows and once I nailed it closed,he was kept in...until the night he went missing...he darted out and ran off.

Anyway I talked to my neighbours and they said they never seen him.They told me they would keep their eye open.That was that.Last week,I noticed their apartment was empty.I asked one of my other neighbour's and they told me the couple moved out.It was very sudden and they were only there for like 2 months!

Then a few days ago,I was at the mall with my sister and came across my neighbours and they asked how Hatchet was doing.I told them he was still missing and they acted shocked,like they didn't know he was missing (I told them and they knew!).However the misses almost said "Oh,he's missing,is he?" in a mocking manner.I dunno...it was weird.

Just last night I got to thinking about that...I wonder if they took him?
Maybe I am paranoid and reading into things too much,but they acted so suspicious and suddenly moving out.Maybe they don't have Hatchet,but why would they act like that when I mentioned he was still missing???

katkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh... wow! not to feed into your paranoia or anything, but i do remember hearing about my mother's friend's cat. he told us that he had an expensive cat, and someone stole him. just snatched him right out of the back yard. he never saw that cat again. but, like i said, he was an expensive pure-bred persian, so it made sense.

did your neighbors had any special reason to take hatchet other than liking him? if they already had two cats of their own, why go through so much trouble? you'd have to really need a cat to move for him. is hatchet a breeding cat or related to one of their cats?

maybe they forgot you told them about hatchet with all the stress of moving. but if i liked a neighbor's cat who went missing, i would remember. so, maybe they're bad actors. then again, if they had taken the cat, why bring it up to you at all when they seem to have gotten away clean. why not just play dumb and nod along.

anyway, it's late and i just got my wisdom teeth out so i'm on a butt load of vicodin. if any of that didn't make sense, i apologize. it's just that, every day i check back on this thread hoping to hear good news. there are enough cat-woes in this world. hatchet needs to come back.

once again, hope you find him soon.

katkat

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not saying it's impossible they took him, but I doubt stealing a stray cat is enough motivation to suddenly move. It's easy to assume the worst, and I understand your paranoia. People do odd things.

If they had their own cats, and Hatchet came along, friendly and looking lost, who knows if they might have let him in, fell in love with him, and decided to keep him.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKat

oh... wow! not to feed into your paranoia or anything, but i do remember hearing about my mother's friend's cat. he told us that he had an expensive cat, and someone stole him. just snatched him right out of the back yard. he never saw that cat again. but, like i said, he was an expensive pure-bred persian, so it made sense.

did your neighbors had any special reason to take hatchet other than liking him? if they already had two cats of their own, why go through so much trouble? you'd have to really need a cat to move for him. is hatchet a breeding cat or related to one of their cats?

maybe they forgot you told them about hatchet with all the stress of moving. but if i liked a neighbor's cat who went missing, i would remember. so, maybe they're bad actors. then again, if they had taken the cat, why bring it up to you at all when they seem to have gotten away clean. why not just play dumb and nod along.

anyway, it's late and i just got my wisdom teeth out so i'm on a butt load of vicodin. if any of that didn't make sense, i apologize. it's just that, every day i check back on this thread hoping to hear good news. there are enough cat-woes in this world. hatchet needs to come back.

once again, hope you find him soon.

katkat
Thanks.
And yes,it made sense...don't worry!

Nope...Hatchet was not related to their cats,was not a breeding cat (he was spose to get fixed the week he went missing),is not a fancy breed,not expensive...really there is no reason.But they liked him.

And who knows,maybe they do not have him and did forget in the stress of moving,like you said.I know moving can be stressful! Or maybe they simply thought I had him back by now? I don't know.

Not to go off topic but good luck with your wisdoms!

Originally Posted by mrblanche

I'm not saying it's impossible they took him, but I doubt stealing a stray cat is enough motivation to suddenly move. It's easy to assume the worst, and I understand your paranoia. People do odd things.

If they had their own cats, and Hatchet came along, friendly and looking lost, who knows if they might have let him in, fell in love with him, and decided to keep him.
Yeah...it is probably me being paranoid.I don't know.They liked my cat and when he got out sometimes,they would feed him.However I remember the first day he got out,they had him and they never seen him before (he was always kept indoors - until he figured out one of the screens in one of the windows could be pushed out - it was since fixed) and they thought he was a stray.Cause when I went back to get him,they said they were ready to either keep him or send him to the SPCA.But then they found out he was mine.

I really hope he is okay and I HOPE they don't have my cat!
If they do tho,I hope he is being looked after.I found out my sister knows the misses,so she is gonna help me try and get ahold of them.Just to ask.

And I don't care if they think I am crazy...I really want my cat back and it is worth a try!

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
like you, i would do anything to try and find my missing cat, so i understand you need to put your mind at rest. once you get any idea in your head it can be so hard to shift it, so i think you're doing the right thing.

come home hatchet, we need to see a happy end to this thread!

jil05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate to tell you this story and I don't want to cause concern but when I was younger I had a cat that was indoor/outdoor named Gatita. She would always go over to the single guy next door's house and say hello. We didn't think anything of it.
Then Hurricane Gloria came and although we tried and tried we could not find out where she was so we could bring her to my Grandmother's house with us.
The hurricane turned out to be not too bad by us so that was a blessing and it turned out that Gatita went into his house during the hurricane and he took care of her.

A couple of months later he told us he was moving and he would like to take the cat with him. I remember my father telling him no, this cat belong to my daughter and she loves her. Well, you can guess what happened! When he moved he took my precious little baby with him! I was heartbroken and still miss her and think about her to this day (Over twenty years later!). People are very strange. They will take a cat that belongs to someone and leave many lovely cats in the shelter to die. Unbelievable.

Anyway, I am praying for the return of Hatchet. Please Hatchet come home!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor you, you must miss your boy so much
I hope your sister is able to contact that neighbour to find out if Hatchet is with them. It would be better that he's with them and well cared-for instead of roaming the streets hungry and in constant danger, though. Vibes that you find your darling Hatchet soon!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to add fuel to the fire but you never know.
There was a cat in my old neighborhood that I absolutely fell in love with. He was one of those really amazing cats with a great personality. He was so fun and affectionate. On cold nights he would follow me inside and curl up on my bed. I didn't think the owners were all that responsible(they weren't but that is a long story) and the thought did cross my mind to keep him. But my values don't work that way. If they had been abusing him then I would have but he was healthy and clearly had a collar. Someone loved him whether I approved of his care or not.
SO I went out and got my own cat from a shelter instead.

I would not put a past a person NOT to have an attack of conscience and instead convince themselves that they are actually doing the right thing. I don't think they would have moved because of it but they may have been moving already and said what the heck lets take him too.

I am not saying this is the case. I am just saying it is not out of the realm of possibility.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have no idea where she is.
And trying to contact her proved unsuccessful.

However I am almost gauaranteed she has him now.
Earlier I was talking to one of my other neighbours who was talking to misses before she moved and they told me that just before she moved,she had 5 CATS!!!! When I last spoke to misses,she only had 2! So now that she apparently has 5 cats,one of them has to be Hatchet! I mean,how would she go from 2 cats to 5 cats that fast?
Maybe she has found other cats in the neighbourhood and took them too?

Hatchet is my cat,but should I just let it go?
I have no idea how to find misses and I asked my neighbour if she talks to misses,to ask if she has a grey tabby,just to see if Hatchet is with her.While he is MY cat,I know she doesn't abuse her cats.Her 2 cats that I knew of were fixed and taken care of.I don't know what to do anymore.

At this point,I think it may be a lost cause.
I am upset,but I really don't know what else I can do.
I highly doubt the police would get involved and I don't want them involved anyway.Especially since maybe she actually don't have my cat.But with the info I have now,I am 99% sure she does.

katkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You took down Hatchet's picture! You must really be hurting right now. Don't give up, he's your cat!! If someone stole my little girl, I would be furious! You have to find a way to contact your neighbor, find out where they live and just show up and try to see if Hatchet is with them. Do you live in an apartment? If so, then go to your landlord and explain the situation. They have to leave a forwarding address with the landlord when they move. Just say they may be able to help you find your cat.

Please don't give up.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh please dont give up. He is your cat. I agree with what is said above. Do you live in apartment area with a common lanlord?

If this were any of my animals, I would look into getting Animal Control and the Police to work together get the lanlord to help in getting the forwarding address, Police & Animal Control showing up at this womans home & removing stolen Hatchet from her home, she had stolen something from you.

She has commited a crime. With a living animal, an animal that was attached to you, an animal that lived in your home, that was used to you and your surroundings.

How sad
If indeed you think this is the scenario. This is the course of action that I would take. I've watched enough Animal Cops to know that this can be a happy ending & that Hatchet can be back in your arms if she has him.

Hang in there, dont give up. I hope Hatchet is home with you where he belongs soon.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you both.

Yes,I took it down because I miss him so much and it did hurt me to come in here and see his picture,when he is not with me right now.

Yes,I live in an apartment.Well there are 7 apartments in this building.
I will go talk to my landlord and see what he says.Is he allowed to release any info though? Thats what I don't know...

The ONLY good thing about this,is at least Hatchet is inside...now just to try and get him back.

siobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you considered hiring a pet detective like Kit (or is Kate, I forget, just read her super book) Albright? Or the woman in Oregon. Or even following tat advice - I think the web site is catinabag.org - let me check

http://www.catsinthebag.org/

Here is the forum: http://catsinthebag.yuku.com/

This is also good:
http://missingpetpartnership.org/recovery-lostcat.php

Good luck and NEVER give up. I know someone in VT who found her cat after a year! Also, you might think of your cat now as feral and set a friendly trap. Often, cats - if what is being said is not true and hopefully no-one picked your baby up - the kitty is not too far away and will come home to a strong smelling (like tuna which should not regularly be fed to a vat) food and a cat friendly trap which you might borow from a shelter or rescue group.

Thinking of you!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I feel so bad for you. You sound so sad and hurt.
I can't imagine your pain right now. But you can't give up. She may very well be a responsible owner but Hatchet is yours. Hatchet most likely does not want to be there if he is there. SO for his sake get the new address and maybe even spy first to see if you see Hatchet in a window or something.
If you do, show up with the police and get him back.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep I agree with everyone. Please don't give up! Hatchet is your baby, and you love him. The neighbour, good cat owner as she may be, has no right to just pick up anyone's cat and treat it as her own! That's theft, plain and simple.

Good luck finding Hatchet

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're pretty certain these people have your cat, you might get a lawyer to draw up a lawsuit suing them for stealing the cat (use your vet bills, etc., to prove you own the cat). Just being served with the papers might be enough to convince them to give Hatchet back to you, if they have him.