Has cat pee'd on you?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I was sleeping, suddenly I woke up as one of my cats was on top of me clawing my blanket, he had pee'd on me while I was sleeping, now when you wake up to such at middle of night, first reaction is to curse with enough strongly to send poor kitty hiding under the sofa.

That was quite a bold move from that cat he is feral after all.

So has anyone else had this happen to themselves?

I guess that wood based cat litter is not to their liking, there has been some protests against that and now this. They can be cruel when they really want to be...

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope but my Joji once sprayed on me when I carried her to an unfamiliar place. Joji is old and deaf. I should have known better. 

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, never. Your kitty may well be trying to tell you something. I would get him to a vet for a urinalysis if changing the litter doesn't help.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat Pinky has done that to me a couple of times. When I stepped back to try to figure out what would cause him to do this, it was always either a health issue, or something that I failed to do. His health issues were not urinary tract related, but rather a flare up of his rodent ulcer. The thing I fail to do is to give him enough attention. I live in a large household of senior cats, and I can get distracted when one or more of them are sick. All I need to do to stop this behavior is to go out of my way to give him lots of love and keep an eye out on his mouth issues.

There is always a trigger when a cat does this. The first thing to do is rule out health issues, and if he checks out fine, look for behavior triggers. He is trying to tell you something is wrong, your job is to find out what that is.

reekajane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Or... he is trying to mark you. And claim you as his. This could be the begining of a very bad habbit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might possibly be that I have not let him go to staircase (it is not insulated cold space). Or that I forgot to give evening wet food, but they had lot of dry food.

Yesterday we did play even more than usual, he also got laptime too, he is almost only one who gets that as others are too terrified for being on lap.

He is vaccined indoor cat like rest of the bunch (5 of them indoors, also one outdoor cat), but he has big urge to get outdoors, sits at door and makes noises, would need to get him fixed but finances have been bit tight.

He is also still under 1 year old, well almost 1 year, exact time is not known as he is rescued.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or... he is trying to mark you. And claim you as his. This could be the begining of a very bad habbit.
I don't think that he is going to do that any time soon, he is still sulking under the sofa, must be scary that giant yelling curses all of the sudden and even pee did not get covered, or whatever he is thinking, probably thinks that he will be eaten soon :lol3:

Anyway I think that I will teach them all that bed is off limits from now on.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 They can be cruel when they really want to be...
Well, malice is not a trait of a cat. As momofmany said, toilet issues like this one have a reason -  a health or behavior problem. Hope you find the cause soon so your little one need not hide in fear wondering what he did wrong. 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine is kleptomanic, but all of them surely know what revenge is, they know what envy is, but I have been told that those are not part of cat.

Revenge is often observed, when I was petting one of them, other one spooked him, then spooked one stared the evil doer long time, waited on place until evil doer was being petted at and there the most shy of them all came and hit evil doer to sensitive place which did certainly cause bit of racing using vertical sufraces as floor.

So I don't really know if it is true that they really are not something, for me it looks like they can be anything.

Anyway poor kitty forgot to be afraid day after the event and was purring on my lap right away, he is only one that does that, others have not been tamed enough.

Good thing is that I caught him on act, so he know why I made loud noise, actually it was rather reflect to curse like a sailor and was not even directed to him, but any loud noise is such that they get spooked of and if one gets spooked everyone starts running, especially during the day if I accidently drop something it does result hiding, so that is thing that happens quite often, but their room is bigger than mine and there is door with cat door between rooms, so maybe hiding is bit wrong term for most.

Lot of character in these ones.

I would imagine that if it would be health issue it would be more regular.

Smallest one has now took a habit of jumping to bed when she wants attention, as she knows bed is now offlimits, there is always something with this many :lol3:

Toy mouse in a string of flexible rod is their favorite toy, 3 hours a day playing with that and they still want more of it, nothing else is not interesting them so, it could be protest that I have not played with them with that toy 6 hours a day, or that I put it away out of the reach after playing, there can be many reasons, maybe it was just testing of limits as he is soon 1 year old, I guess he has his teen angst phase soon.

One that pee'd on me was Panther from here:
http://feralsaver.weebly.com/1/post/2012/02/family.html

edit: Last part of message was typed actually Panther sleeping on lap, after he woke up, we did play with mouse toy again and he managed to claw me inside of lip, as I foolishly swing mouse close to my face, it does sting a bit when that happens, but that just shows how things can also just happen.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now smallest one did pee on my pillow, she is even one of the most shy of them all (fixed female). I guess that it is cat litter issue then, I have kept same brand and hoped them to get used to that, but they seem to keep doing these protests quite lot.

We did play a lot today, expolred new places and found few flies to catch, so it can't be play time issue, fixed females don't get much of urine issues either, everything seem to be in order, but that clumping wood litter is only thing I can figure out to be issue.

So, tomorrow I must get other brand cat litter,it will dust a lot and be really expensive in there that it takes lot of space from garbage and I'm charged garbage by litres, so it will be more expensive, more annoying to scoop too, but if cat decides that litter is no good, there is no changing mind of cat either.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiny did, before he was neutered. Just little drips. I found it rather disgusting, naturally, but the neutering fixed it and he's done nothing worse than drooling mid-half-asleep-purr since then. :)

Do check to make sure your cat's urinary system is working all right. They are so prone to that sort of thing, and it can be very uncomfortable for them.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got that cheap litter they are very pleased to have, major issue with that is the dust, when I poured it in to box I could not see anything for a moment as there was so much white dust in the air, can't be good to breath either, so I must put cover to all litter boxes that have that stuff.

Also I bring back one large litter box that I had earlier, but I took off as it is bit annoying to scoop, it is under the bed storage container originally, so there is four bumps at bottom for wheels, which make scooping bit of a challenge.

But if that is only one that I can afford that they accept, then it is only one to use unfortainly. It does cost only 6.5€/18l/(around 9.5kg) so testing that should be easy.

Litter that cats and I liked the best was sadly too expensive in use, that was more than 14€ per each week, this really cheap one is half from that (also added garbage costs would be 2.5 for a week) and wood based would have been around same as this cheaper litter, perhaps bit less and also no garbage costs at all.

With 5 indoor cats and one outdoor cat, one must think about costs too, litter is easily same as high quality food costs if not even higher these days.

Luckily it is downhill from shop, so with bicycle, carrying that 19kg of cat litter for 4.5km is not big issue, also that is available locally, any other cat litter must be mail ordered, but those are delivered to your door without extra costs, so that is also good point in those.

I don't know how soon there will be changes in behavior after this swap, there is now only two litter boxes with new stuff (one bag weights 9.5kg, to swap all boxes it would mean 10 bags which is 95kg, my bicycle trailer is not quite finished yet), but I think it should show up quite quickly if that is issue.

Vet visit I just can't take lightly, but also when my income is 800 and trip alone would cost 200 + vet bill, it is currently bit difficult to do, or should I say rather impossible, until finances clear.