Has anyone used the kitty tube?

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was trying to get something for my outside cat. The kitty Tube looked interesting. Has anyone out there used it for their feral?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:D Not sure exactly what a "kitty tube" is.... you mean one of those long tunnel's? I have not put out any items like that for my feral's - although my feral's are truly feral cat's and don't come anywhere near me or the house and probably would never use anything like that :lol3:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Google it its like a tub. Sold on amazon though a bit costly. Kitty tube LLC. its like a tub dark grey and they have insulated it. Just wanted something better for the cat rather than sleeping under the deck on the dirt

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw that and thought it was great - until I realized a) the insulation is exposed and would probably get dirty very quickly; b) ditto for the cat bed included - it's going to be moldy soon; c) the doorway looks like it would allow the weather in and d) the price, although I'd be willing to pay that if they improved the other points

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I saw that any other ideas???

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, googled it. Never saw that before. I agree with Ondine and would think that rain/snow would blow inside the entrance. And a pillow :dk: Wouldn't use a pillow in a feral shelter. The pillow would get soaked and turn to ice in cold weather, defeating the purpose of a warm, insulated shelter :lol3:. Thanks for sharing. :wavey:

Last edited:

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I "may" get it. Reviews seem good unless all these people are working for the company. I always could create a roof or something. I'll think about it. It says Allied Cat allies approved?? Who knows.?

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its covered just the opening is open. Many houses are that way. I could improvise?

debbie y

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually, I have two of the kitty tubes and the ferals that I feed use them all the time.  The insulation is NOT exposed as someone else posted.  They use it when it's raining and during the winter.  One even had a litter of kittens in it.  There is a washable thick cushion in it, but they also make a version strictly for ferals that has straw instead.  They are a little pricy but are very sturdy and I think it's going to stand up to years of use.  I live in the northeast and they've kept the cats warm and dry.  (I've had one for two winters now and it looks good as new).  I recommend them, and their customer service is great.  I emailed them yesterday with a question and this morning the owner of the company telephoned me with the answer.  Good customer service is really hard to find, so that's a plus right there. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, Debbie:

I'm the one who thought the insulation was exposed.  It appears that the insulation/liner is fabric and it looks exposed on the pix I saw on Amazon.  Are the inside surfaces washable then?  I'd LOVE to get some of these but just can't if I have to worry about cleaning the inside.

How about the entry?  It does look like rain/snow can get in.  I have an idea about making a little "porch" to solve the open entry from flexible plexiglass.

Thanks!

runk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 I ordered the Tube on the 12 of October and on the 18th it still shows order Awaiting Fulfillment
I, have called (no contact) Emailed (no response)
In the reviews they brag about the fast shipping, I have found this to not be the case and they dont answer the phone, do not respond to emails.
I have not got the product yet, but there customer service is Poor. I will respond later to the product with a date I received the unit, and how it works.
Runk

Last edited by a moderator:

euph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this thread is a bit old... I am a new member and want to share my experience with this topic...

I recently purchased the kitty tube (note...you can get it cheaper from  thekittytube.com (this is the direct store) rather than from amazon or other places.    It's a really nice, sturdy, insulated and well-built tube.    I live in upstate, NY (Buffalo suburbs)...the winters can get very cold & snowy here.   I bought the feral option the tube came with a nice bag of clean straw...and I also bought the low voltage/outdoor approved heating pad & put it under a layer of straw.  

The few negative reviews for this product that I've found thus far is that some say the rain gets in.   This to me was a no-brainer type problem that could be easily avoided by using some common sense.   I have hedges against the front of my house where Ms. Kitty was hanging out (when she wasn't taking refuge underneath my deck or shed).    I considered the direction in which the prevailing winds & rain in my area usually blow and set it up with the entrance facing almost up against the front of my house (away from the wind) and the shrubs on the other side also protect it.   She loves it and wasted no time at all moving in.   It wasn't up even one night...and she was inside, staying warm in her new home.   The key to staying dry is in where you put the tube entrance...try to face the entrance away from the wind.

This tube comes with insulation placement on the bottom, sides and top.   The design of it fits right in with my landscaping.  One could drive by the front of my home and not even notice it.  Some might consider it a bit pricey to buy for a feral...but I figured by the time I rounded up the materials/tools to try to make something myself, I never would have come up with anything near as good as this. 

Ms. Kitty loves her new home... she comes out of it every day when I call her & put her food outside.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been using the cat igloo for 6 years. My feral bell loves it. Like you I also had him live under the deck . Than I saw the igloo and bought it for him. It keeps him nice and dry. Bell stayed it it through hurricane sandy and a blizzard . He was safe and warm with an outdoor heating pad in the igloo and a snuggle mic disk that I warm up every night

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just looked at the kitty tube. It looks great and it blends in the green hedge I might just try that next year.

mechamplin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In answer to your question about the "Kitty Tube" I would highly recommend this product. I have purchased two and I love them. I plan on purchasing more of them as I live in a rural area and there is never a shortage a feral cats. One of the tubes I purchased is for a feral cat and the other is for a friendly neighborhood cat. I have done extensive research on these type of "kitty houses" and have found these to be made the best and of top quality material. The outside is made of a black which is great for absorbing heat and retaining it, while there is Styrofoam lining the inside walls, bottom, and top. There are to hand hold areas that allow ventilation for warm days and closed during the winter. The "Kitty Tube" also can be purchased with an "Awning" that will protect the inside from rain or snow. I highly recommend purchasing the Awning with the Kitty Tube. The Kitty tube can also be purchased two options, one being straw for feral cats or a large cushion. The choice is yours however, if you have cold winters you will want a low wattage heating pad for the winters. All mine have them and they are a must! I have found safe heating pads on amazon. Though with the heating pad the cable can be pulled through one of the ventilation holes or through the front. Please be sure to get and extension cord with a cord protector for the plugs so there is no water that come in contact with the plugs. Also please use a heavy tape to cover the ventilation holes in the winter if the cord goes through there. It will seal the warm air in. I have had mine for over three years and it is still in great conditions. Your feral kitty may decide to claw the inside of the tube (to put their scent on the tube and mark it as theirs) which will create a bit of a mess however, it is easy to clean since the tube has a lid that comes off easily. I like to clean mine out once a year however, the feral cat may not like new scents mixing with his. It all depends on how feral he is. My feral kitty is starting to warm up to me so he does not mind it when I clean out his house. I placed good cat nip that I got at a herb store inside his house to get him interested in the Kitty tube. After that he loved it, it is small enough where he feels safe and the awning does one more added thing it helps keep other cats from coming in and gives him protection. We actually go farther during the winter and build a makes shift wind tunnel so that the cold air does not blow right into the cats face or opening. There are other products out there however, I have found many of them lacking in construction and protection from the elements. The "Kitty Tube' is also sold through "Ally Cats" Rescue and other cat organizations which means they find this one to be the best as well. I hope this helps.