Has anyone used BNT ointment for their cat’s ear infection?

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted two cats a while back that had ear mites as (barn) kittens. We noticed that they had lingering ear wax (moderate in one, minor in the other) and assumed it was probably leftover debris from the mites. However, the vet looked at a swab and determined it was yeast. She cleaned their ears out and then gave us ear drops to use.

It’s not going well. We’ve been able to get some drops into the one kitty’s ears but his sibling? Zero drops. It’s genuinely a world-ending, life or death situation for her and she will hide for days after even one gentle attempt. She’s also scared of towels/blankets being lifted in her direction so burrito wraps don’t work. I’m going to have to call the vet back and let her know this isn’t happening.

It sounds like BNT ointment is more of a one and done med which is ideal. I have read it’s caused deafness in dogs though and I’m unsure how safe it is if the cat manages to ingest some. With the way cats groom that seems more of a risk than with dogs. Anyone have experience with it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should mention their ears were never red, nor was there any ever smell that many describe with ear yeast issues. Main symptom was wax and it did seem like their ears were a little itchy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I absolutely understand that. From what I know, not from use of it in a cat, it is off label for cats. Since it is made of those three ingredients, it is important to know if the cat would have a reaction to any of them...which, of course, you might not know up front. Your vet should be able to tell you his experiences with it, how often he uses it in cats, etc. Your reasons for being interested in it make a lot of sense given the personality of the new kitty.