Has anyone used antinol for their cats?

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has shown a reluctance to want to jump the past few weeks. She just had her wellness visit at the vet and as part of a discussion about this the doctor suggested I try Antinol gel caps. So I bought a pack and started using them a few days ago. I've been reading some reviews and a recurring thought is that it can take a few months to show improvement. A suggestion is to poke them open and squirt the fluid into food, but - as many people have said in reviews - it is not that easy to do without losing a good amount of the fluid. I think more winds up on my fingers or outside the bowl than in her food. So I think I'll try just putting it in with her wet food and see if she eats it along with the canned food. If not, a better method of extracting the liquid from the gel caps needs to be found. Thanks for any thoughts on this (or other recommended treatment for what might be the developing stages of arthritis.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I haven't used Antinol specifically, but do know the main ingredient in it is green lipped mussels. For Feeby, I use Glyco Flex Plus, which contains glucosamine, chondroitin, and green lipped mussels. She is 16+ yo and has been taking Glyco for nearly two years now. Initially when I gave it to her, she showed more mobility/flexibility in about 3-4 weeks. She had stopped jumping up on some of her high perches, which she has since resumed.

Glyco is a big chewable treat that can be easily cut up into pieces for easier eating. It is OTC and costs about $10 a month. Feeby loved the taste of them. It is only recently that she has seemed disinterested, but then she has some other issues going on that might be impacting her. So, now I smash the chewable treat up and add some baby food meat and she is more than happy to eat all of it.

Just another option...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cosequin and Dasuqin are popular for arthritis treatments. Both come in capsules which you open and sprinkle the contents into canned food.

How are you opening the Atiniol gel capsules? A large sewing needle works well. Poke a hole or two and gently squeeze the contents out into food.

You won't get any cat to willingly eat a whole pill or capsule if it's just added to food. Try one of these pilling tips:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – Cat Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replies! As it turns out, my cat eats them! I put it in with the food tonight. So...easy solution. I appreciate the other suggestions and will keep those in mind. My schnauzer was on Dasuquin for years towards the end. Never heard of Cosequin. I seem to recall Dasuquin being a round chewable tablet. I guess I'll give this a few weeks and see what happens. Expensive stuff (and probably even moreso having bought it right from the veterinary clinic). So...if no results from it I'll try one of the others suggested.