Has anyone tried the Vick's Vap-O-Rub thing?

erinandseamus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Seamus has been a little stressed out since his Daddy left. Periodically, he will spazz and attack me, my ankles and feet for the most part. I did get a pretty hard bite on my face this morning, but I'm thinking that was a love nip that went a little overboard. Anyway, while I wait for my Bach Flower order to arrive, I was going to try smearing vicks vapo rub on my ankles to discourage him. I was wondering if anyone had tried that method with any success before I make my feet all slimy and stinky. I did try eucalyptus scented lotion after reading that cats didn't like that smell, but apparently no one told Seamus. I've tried spraying the computer room with Feliway, since that's where most of the attacks take place (and the stairs) but with little success.

Also, any tips for keeping him off the counter? I tried oiling the surface, but that didn't work. I tried to set a mouse trap upside down, I read that would scare him but not hurt him, and I ended up snapping my own finger.

Sorry for the length and Thank You Thank You for any advice.

Erin

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Something that works while you are in the area is to take one of the cans of compressed air that you use for cleaning the computer keyboard and 'hissing' it when the cat is doing something you dislike. You don't have to use it on him, just make sure he can hear it and then 'hiss' it when he is on the computer or doing something else you don't want him to (using the speakers as scratching posts in our case). It will startle him but not hurt or frighten him and he should stop.

Kathryn