Has anyone tried marijuana to help treat IBD in cats?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When my cat was first diagnosed with lymphoma a co-worker suggested I supplement her medication with cannabis. I was sort of stunned by the advice and put it immediately out of my head. Then this thread became active again and I'm once more pondering it.

I searched around and found this site: https://cannacompanionusa.com

Does anyone have an experience with this? My intention is to give my cat a fighting shot. She's not a candidate for surgery or chemo or radiation. Maybe I'm being childish, but I think no options stink! She's so young and has never had a health issue before this. I'd do anything for her if it will help ease what she is going through.

I still need to search what my own state laws are in regards to this. It might not be an option simply based on my location.

Any more thoughts on this? The last thing I want to do is put a sick cat in harm's way. A decision like this needs lots of thought.
I thought about trying to give the cannacompanion pills to Callie, but she is (was
) so difficult to pill that I decided not to go that route.  Then I thought I would make the cannibis butter or oil, since DH uses medical MJ, but Callie got her appetite back, so found no need.  I definitely WOULD have if she had lost her appetite again, I still have the recipes somewhere around here, but sadly, we lost Callie suddenly to something else, so currently we don't have the need.   I witness it working every day with DH though
.  I don't think I could live with him if it weren't for cannabis.  He gets such pain relief.  And I do think it helps with seizures, etc. from everything I've read.  Does it cure cancer?  I've read quite a bit on that recently.  If nothing else if there is pain, it helps with it possibly.

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought about trying to give the cannacompanion pills to Callie, but she is (was :( ) so difficult to pill that I decided not to go that route.  Then I thought I would make the cannibis butter or oil, since DH uses medical MJ, but Callie got her appetite back, so found no need.  I definitely WOULD have if she had lost her appetite again, I still have the recipes somewhere around here, but sadly, we lost Callie suddenly to something else, so currently we don't have the need.   I witness it working every day with DH though :) .  I don't think I could live with him if it weren't for cannabis.  He gets such pain relief.  And I do think it helps with seizures, etc. from everything I've read.  Does it cure cancer?  I've read quite a bit on that recently.  If nothing else if there is pain, it helps with it possibly.
Can it cure cancer? I guess as with most things there is no guarantee. I know of a few cancer patients that use medical marijuana and while they lost the battle, it did ease their suffering. However doing just palliative care and my zany diet for her isn't going to either. I strongly feel like I need to at least try and help her.

From what I've read on the site and the doctor I emailed, they did say she was a good candidate and this is a slow, monitored process. I burst out laughing when she told me a side effect to watch for is wobbly gait... she can barely walk!!! That's how this cancer is killing her.

I guess I'm concerned that I could be putting my cat through something potentially bad in an attempt to ease the pain of saying goodbye.

Thank you for sharing your own personal experiences with it. That is something I will take into account before I make the final decision to go through with it.

She has a vet appointment Monday so I will also be talking about it with her vet.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE:  We do need to remind folks about the site rules on giving medical advice:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/283086/recommending-treatments-please-read-this-first

Our rules on not giving medical advice apply to alternative or natural treatments as well. Supplements and herbal remedies can be very potent and can cause adverse reactions in some cats. You should always consult your vet about any treatment, whether nutritional, natural or alternative and keep in mind they can interact with other treatments your cat receives and cause problems.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I thought about trying to give the cannacompanion pills to Callie, but she is (was
) so difficult to pill that I decided not to go that route.  Then I thought I would make the cannibis butter or oil, since DH uses medical MJ, but Callie got her appetite back, so found no need.  I definitely WOULD have if she had lost her appetite again, I still have the recipes somewhere around here, but sadly, we lost Callie suddenly to something else, so currently we don't have the need.   I witness it working every day with DH though
.  I don't think I could live with him if it weren't for cannabis.  He gets such pain relief.  And I do think it helps with seizures, etc. from everything I've read.  Does it cure cancer?  I've read quite a bit on that recently.  If nothing else if there is pain, it helps with it possibly.
Can it cure cancer? I guess as with most things there is no guarantee. I know of a few cancer patients that use medical marijuana and while they lost the battle, it did ease their suffering. However doing just palliative care and my zany diet for her isn't going to either. I strongly feel like I need to at least try and help her.

From what I've read on the site and the doctor I emailed, they did say she was a good candidate and this is a slow, monitored process. I burst out laughing when she told me a side effect to watch for is wobbly gait... she can barely walk!!! That's how this cancer is killing her.

I guess I'm concerned that I could be putting my cat through something potentially bad in an attempt to ease the pain of saying goodbye.

Thank you for sharing your own personal experiences with it. That is something I will take into account before I make the final decision to go through with it.

She has a vet appointment Monday so I will also be talking about it with her vet.
Keep us posted!  You just never know.     Even "zany diets" sometimes help.  (often help, in IMHO...as long as they are species appropriate)

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read something recently about how marijuana can be toxic to cats and dogs. It explained that marijuana is a "dirty drug," meaning there are many different chemical compounds in marijuana, some of them that can be helpful for things like seizures, but some that can also be toxic for our pets, similarly to how we can eat chocolate but they cannot. And the wide variety of strains of marijuana and lack of regulation and accurate identification make it impossible to know how much of these compounds are in a plant, and therefore being able to prescribe and dose marijuana safely and accurately isn't possible.

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This isn't necessary medical marijuana. You don't just buy it off the street, whip up some brownies and give it to your cat.

Do you happen to have a link to the study you've read?

In researching this, I've come across a new industry that uses medicinal marijuana and hemp to help ailments in both dogs and cats. They give extremely controlled doses in capsule form.

This is the response I was given when I asked for information:

Learn more
Re: 5 year old cat with spinal lymphoma
Apr 7, 2016, 5:13 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat's lymphoma diagnosis and think we can help her feel better, augmenting her Fentanyl & prednisolone therapy, but am unsure if we will be able to slow down the progression of her condition. That being said, I very much think it's worth a try as bone-marrow originating cancers like lymphoma and mast cell diseases are, so far, the most responsive to cannabis therapy. We have several patients on our product with less aggressive forms of lymphoma whose conditions have stabilized and/or gone into clinical remission. In states where marijuana is legal, we have a higher percentage of patients who are in clinical remission. (Clinical remission refers to resolution of cancer-associated symptoms and return to healthy quality of life despite evidence that the cancer is still present. That differs from full remission where clinical symptoms have resolved and there is no evidence of cancer on laboratory tests.) One thing which has held true with any of our oncology patients is how the ECS (internal cannabis receptor system) functions. When triggered by low dosages of cannabinoids & terpenoids, i.e. those found in hemp, the ECS responds by reducing inflammation, pain, & nausea, aiding in immune system function, and helping to control neurological disorders. When triggered by higher dosages, like what is found in marijuana, we start seeing some of the more aggressive benefits like cancer-fight properties & production of healthy neurological tissues (some really promising research on Alzheimer's).

I provide this background as we may be able to approach marijuana levels of cannabinoids with our product relative to her body size. This is still using hemp, so the % THC is always

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The active ingredients of Cannabis are not water soluble, so making a tea out of them won't generally allow the main active ingredients to dissolve into the tea.
This is true, but the THC crystals can also be physically knocked off the leaves to some extent (there's a lot on the surface of the leaves, that's why it's sticky), so some amount of THC would probably be ingested from a tea. Just not a whole lot.

shyzahkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was searching the cat health forum for "cannacompanion" to see if anyone else has used it and this thread appeared.  One of my cats is extremely anxious, standoffish, and underweight.  She always has kibble to free feed, she gets wet food in the morning and I've even supplemented with baby food to put on weight, and tried making my own cat food from chicken livers, all with no weight gain.  And she is not an active cat, she is extremely lazy and loves to just watch people out the window while laying on something soft like the princess she thinks she is!

The only times she has gained weight is when she was on pain killers given from the vet, and for some reason that stimulated her appetite, or maybe she was just bloated from the extra salty food they wanted her on.  

I decided to try Cannacompanion because she was previously on Prozac for a few months with no change in behavior.  The vet was talking about other medications, but I decided to try this first to see if it helps.  

It comes in powder form, packed into gelatin capsules, and since she is very small, I ordered the regular/low dose and only give her 1/2 a capsule in her wet food in the morning, which is easy to pull apart.  She eats all her wet food, which typically she would leave half sitting there for hours.  She likes to eat when she pleases, so she probably still takes breaks, but not as long as she used to (hours), because when I check on her after an hour it's gone.

As far as her anxiety, I haven't noticed much of a change.  I would like to change to a tincture if I decide to continue using this method for treatment.  If she puts on weight, I will consider this a success. 

Also, the amounts of THC/CBD in this product is so low that it is not considered illegal, as I live in Texas and had this product shipped to me with no issues, no hidden merchant name, nothing.  The company would not advertise national shipping if it was potent enough to be considered illegal.  You can buy animal speciality tinctures at dispensaries for those in legal states, but there are also companies that ship because it's also a very low concentration.  It's also cheaper in the long run for a tincture, as a bottle with 700+ doses would be $95, and CannaCompanion is $40/Month supply.

cindycrna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We ordered Canna Pet for Leonard when his refractory nausea was unresponsive to meds. (He had FIP) I contacted the company for dosing and they were very responsive to my emails. Unfortunately, we put him to sleep the day it arrived. I forwarded my bottle to a fellow FIP fighter and she said it helped quite a bit with her kitties eating but alas, her kitty also lost the battle. I have a friend who uses Canna Companion for their dog's seizures when their regular seizure meds left her dazed and were mostly ineffective. Now their dog is more alert and her seizures have gone from 3 a week on prescription meds to once every 60 days on Canna Companion . It is legal and appears to help. OP, I'm so sorry you lost your kitty. 20 is a nice old age.