Has anyone tried Fresh Aire litter

lanceb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone tried Fresh Aire or Cedar Fresh Litter? I am looking for a good odor controller without chemicals. I saw these at PetSmart the other day but haven't tried. Wondered if anyone has used?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried either one. Most cats don't like cedar scent, though. You hsouldn't be having a litterbox odor problem if you clean the litterboxes properly. What brand of litter do you use? How often do you scoop/change the litter? How often do you wash out the litterbox?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lanceb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I clean about every other day. Sometimes it goes a couple days if we are out of town or something. The problem is that my cats have particularly strong aromas. Not out of the ordinary just strong. I also have to be wary of chemicals as both myself and my daughter have some sensitivities. I went and bought some Fresh Aire after I posted and the odor control seems to be good and neither me or my girl have had any reaction. Any info on why cats don't like cedar?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lanceb

Any info on why cats don't like cedar?
Cats tend to dislike strong odors of any kind, and cedar is particularly pungent. But if your kitties don't mind, I guess it all worked out!

lanceb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Willowy,
Did some checking on Cedar. Looks like it is up to the individual cat, as you implied. I haven't tried the cedar yet but I think I am going to give it a shot. I have read and double checked the info and cedar, a known insect repellent, is particularly effective for fleas. Both Lenny and Squiggy go in and out and occailsionally pick up some fleas. Maybe the cedar smell will keep them at bay. Could be a long term experiment.

lanceb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey All,
Just un update on a new litter I tried. New to me anyway. I had switched to Fresh Aire a couple weeks ago to get away from chemically treated litter. The results have been good. Cats took to it without skipping a beat. Good odor control, clumps well, doesn't track. No chemicals to bother the lungs. If you havent' tried it and were thinking about it I would recommend. I just saw a downloadable couplon on their website as well.

LanceB

lanceb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,
Haven't been on in a while. Mentioned last time that I was going to switch my litter over to FreshAire as it is chemical/scent free. Those fumes bother me and my daughter. Well the test continues and FreshAire is beating my expectations. Even beat the so called "worlds best". If you are looking for a good odor controller, you might give them a try. I keep going back to their website and the downloadable coupon is still up. Hope they keep it there as the coupon makes the litter roughly the same price as plain clay.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does it look like? I mean, what size are the particles?

subvet642

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm new to the site, and we've been using World's Best, not so much for it's odor control but because it clumps, it's flushable and we were concerned about out cats breathing in clay dust. What is FreshAire made from?

lanceb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FreshAire particle size is roughly tha same as clay, worlds best, swheat scoop, etc. Small granules. It is made from pine granules with some dust free clay granules. I have concerns about dust as well. I was looking for a litter that was scent free because the perfumes were causing some respiratory concerns in my family. Because of this I was concerned about the dust as well. The FreshAire is dust free and doesn't track very much either. The pine ingredient gives it real good odor control also.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Subvet642

I'm new to the site, and we've been using World's Best, not so much for it's odor control but because it clumps, it's flushable and we were concerned about out cats breathing in clay dust. What is FreshAire made from?
here is the website listing what's in it. Since it contains sodium bentonite litter, which is what clumping litter is made of, it will not work for me.

http://freshairelitter.com/about.html

however to lanceb: I'd like to see a picture of what this litter looks like, can you post one please.

lanceb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Otto,
I'll try to put a picture on. I have a tub but I pulled the label off. So it would be a picture of a white tub. I will see what I can do with the actual product. It does have some bentonite in it but I think that it is mostly pine. Why doesn't the bentonite work for you? Is there a difference in some clays?

LanceB

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Subvet642

I have never flushed (flushable) clumping litter. Can someone please explain how a clumping litter can be flushable???

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katkuddler

I have never flushed (flushable) clumping litter. Can someone please explain how a clumping litter can be flushable???
IMHO it is not .. but here is the line the companies use... you break the clumps into many smaller ones and then wait to flush ( 20 minutes if memory serves) ... they claim they are so small they will continue to break up

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katkuddler

WorldsBest is made from corn and apparently flushable. I would not flush any kind of litter.

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been using swheat scoop and flushing it. I haven't had any problems at all. As soon as the clumps hit the water they completely break up. The toilets have never clogged.

subvet642

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

WorldsBest is made from corn and apparently flushable. I would not flush any kind of litter.
We use that and flush it all the time, never had a problem.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not clogs that concern me, it's the septic system.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With my toilets, I don't even flush Kleenex....they're tempermental.

Does FreshAire smell like pine? I'm really sensitive to pine or cedar smell.