Has anyone seen a growth like this?

Cjames92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, new cat owner here! I just adopted a three year old tabby who was fostered in very close proximity to about a dozen other cats over the past year. She’s very sweet but has some weird skin issues, particularly these small growths on her paws.

She’s going into the vet next Tuesday for an appointment so I am not looking for treatment advice (know that’s against the rules), I am just new to cats and want to know if this is something anyone has seen before. I’m a little freaked out!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site and congratulations on your new cat! You can get a lot of help here with whatever questions you have about new cat ownership. Good that she has an appointment next week since she is a new pet, regardless even of the foot question. There is more than one of these on the feet? Hard or soft?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cjames92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site and congratulations on your new cat! You can get a lot of help here with whatever questions you have about new cat ownership. Good that she has an appointment next week since she is a new pet, regardless even of the foot question. There is more than one of these on the feet? Hard or soft?
There are a few smaller ones on a couple of her other exterior paw pads, they are hard.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am wondering if this is a form of cutaneous horn, which is an overgrowth of keratin. Usually they are harmless and the vet help you. Please let us know what your vet says. Don't do anything to them on your own though; let the vet make sure.

Cjames92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering if this is a form of cutaneous horn, which is an overgrowth of keratin. Usually they are harmless and the vet help you. Please let us know what your vet says. Don't do anything to them on your own though; let the vet make sure.
I have been doing some research and hope you’re right, I just haven’t seen any cutaneous horns that look just like this. I will wait to hear from my vet and will keep everyone informed!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Even if it is not a cutaneous horn, there is a very good chance that this is not anything serious. Please let us know.

Cjames92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I just got back from the vet and they informed me this is likely nothing to worry about and that I can trim it if it begins bothering her. Overall they say she looks great and is very healthy!

She is transitioning to her new life incredibly well and is an absolute delight to have around <3

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to say that I found one on my cat's back and the vet told me it was nothing serious. It's actually gone away over time.