Has anyone here had weight loss surgery... or considered it?

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

MuttigreeMom - you are talking my language, I'm back to Low Carbing after a 6 month fall, and so very happy to be! I do a more severe version than you in that I do not use any artificial sweeteners, but have lots of great recipes.
Carol, I have several that would fit a vegetarian lifestyle.
I've been trying to get myself off them, but I can't figure out what else to use in my morning coffee... I've tried stevia, but couldn't handle the bitterness. Do you use anything in your coffee? (Or, do you even drink coffee?
)

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Thank you so much for that link -- it looks like a very good resource for me! And your almond cookies and macaroons sound awfully good, too -- can I talk you out of the recipes?

That's one of my problems, I think -- I'm so in love with the way my mom cooks that I've resisted learning to like anything new. But my mom's cooking is what got me here!
No problem
I haven't used the recipes in a while, so I have to dig them out of my cabinet... but I'll be sure to grab them for you after work.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

I've been trying to get myself off them, but I can't figure out what else to use in my morning coffee... I've tried stevia, but couldn't handle the bitterness. Do you use anything in your coffee? (Or, do you even drink coffee?
)
I learned to drink imy coffee without any sweetener,but do use half and half - 2 oz. in the morning, and as much as I want at dinner time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pat & Alix, thank you – I’d love it if you’d share your recipes!

And y’know, I cringe every time I tear open a sweetener packet... I know they’re bad stuff. One good thing I’ve done just in the past week or so is give up ice cream – sugar-free ice cream isn’t very satisfying anyway, so I think I can live without that. A nice chilled nectarine is actually more delicious!

Y’know, the psychological element is so powerful – I’ve wanted the ice cream because I perceive it as an indulgence, whereas the nectarine is something that’s good for me. But I’m changing that thinking now. I've always appreciated the simple purity of good fresh fruit, but I haven't always been able to afford it -- so now I'm spending the money and looking upon that as the indulgence.

I’ll check out that book, too. Thank you!

Katteh, that’s really good to hear! I’m at the point now where even just a few pounds can make a big difference in how I look. It’s as if there’s a certain level at which I can tolerate myself, but one more pound and I’m just beyond revolting!
So maybe that will help me find the motivation you found. Thank you for your encouragement!

Lookingglass, good questions...

1. I’m not sure what my goal weight should be. I’m 5’4” and small-to-medium in frame. I’ve been thinking in terms of losing 100 pounds, which would put me at 135, but according to the statistics, the average lapband or sleeve patient has lost up to 65% of his excess weight at 3 to 5 years out... so I don’t know where to aim or what to expect. That’s something I’ll have to ask the people at the clinic, I guess.

2. I’ve actually had a couple of consultations with nutritionists over the years, and last year I went with my father through a series of twelve diabetes counseling sessions with nurses and nutritionists. I feel pretty well-educated – I just haven’t put most of what I’ve learned into practice on any consistent basis.

I have to admit that part of my problem is being so busy trying to make sure my parents eat right that I just throw my hands up and forget it when it comes to myself. It’s a constant struggle to get my father to limit his carb intake and to accept his many medicines... and an almost impossible battle to get my mom to eat real food at all – she’s a tiny little rail, and she eats mostly candy and ice cream (a habit that started when she quit smoking in 1987). So I don’t have the mental energy left to put any thought into my own meals, y’know?

That’s my excuse, but I’ve got to stop using it.

3. As for the emotional journey... y’know, I really think I have my head on straight about that. I could be wrong, of course, but – well, here’s the odd thing:

Sometimes when I’m out somewhere, if I’m dressed nicely and having a good hair day and feeling physically well, I find myself just radiating happiness, y’know? I walk along smiling at people and just loving life, and at those times, I feel so totally together that it’s as if I forget that I’m fat! It shocks me when I glimpse myself in a store window and remember what I actually look like!

But the realization doesn’t keep me from feeling that I-love-the-whole-world feeling. And I guess that’s a healthy thing.

So I kinda don’t think I’ll end up in the reverse mode, feeling fat even if I'm not, y'know? And anyway, looking better is only a small part of what’s behind this for me. I just want to live longer! So even if I do end up with the mind of a fat person inside a normal body... that’s fine with me, as long as I’m healthy.

What an amazing achievement, to lose more than a hundred pounds.
You say you can remember the first day you decided not to live this way anymore – I’d love to know more about that! Were you able to stand by that decision consistently from then on? If not, how did you get back on track?

When I posted this thread, I never dreamed so many people would give so much of themselves in trying to help -- you guys are so good.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been on it a few days and just skimmed the posts after mine.

Carol I understand how you feel about just wanting it off but having a hard time sticking to a formulated plan. For a good 3 years I wanted to lose my extra weight. I tried a diet my dad lost a lot of weight on, did that for 2 weeks. Did South Beach, again 2 weeks then stopped. Did a few others but never stuck with them. Over time tho I came to see that I was just not serious about getting the weight. Yeah I complained about the weight, yes I said I need to get it off, yes I had every excuse why I weighed what I did. But in the end it all came down to I was just not ready to get serious about it and shed the weight.

June of this year I got serious. This time I said I was gonna lose this weight one way or the other. I knew following a strict plan just was not gonna work for me. I knew I just would not keep up with that in the long run. Thats when I learned about calorie counting. This has helped me so much. I use a site called fitday to track my calories. Plus I do light cardio during the week (either tapes or walking outside). And this is the first time in my life I have found something that I can stick to and actually lose weight with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Ping! I'll check out that site... I tried SparkPeople for awhile, but since I'm on dialup, it was so painfully slow to load... maybe FitDay will be easier!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fitday is just a calorie counting site. Meaning tracking the intake and exercise. I go to another site for weight loss support. That was another big thing that helped me. A good weight loss support group. Here if you wanna check them out.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh one more thing I looked online to find what your ideal weight should be (I hope you don't mind) and this is what I found anywhere between 111 - 146 lbs is a medical recommendation of weight for your height.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Carol!

I can't help with your decision about the surgery as I don't know anyone that has gone through the procedure. I can give you 3 books recommended by my dear friend, a professional chef who's DH has severe diabetes. She has managed to help him drop about 40 pounds of late and he continues to drop weight. Here's the e-mail she sent me:

First, she needs to count carbs... tell her to go get (specifically) this...

http://www.amazon.com/Calorie-King-C...e=UTF8&s=books

it's available at all bookstores, and runs about $8. Make sure she gets the 2007 edition. It's WELL worth it.

Then... these two are TERRIFIC....

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Exchan...e=UTF8&s=books

and

http://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Gourm...e=UTF8&s=books

I find them both giving EASY, tasty meals. And easy ways to account for nutrient values/exchanges.

girlfriend! As a smoker, I know how difficult it is to change habits that are bad for you. I'm a firm believer in behavior modification, and will first seek out help in changing behaviors before I would resort to more drastic measures. That's just my humble opinion, but I'm not one to talk, as I've quit smoking many times in my life and keep rebounding.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I posted this thread, I never dreamed so many people would give so much of themselves in trying to help -- you guys are so good.
Most of those that posted here, know how hard it is to lose weight.
To change a life long habit

if you can go visit a nutritionist, get your self some books on nutrition.
learn how to learn how to eat.

trust me, i love to eat. but really i had to learn to eat to live to live to eat.

I would also suggest you learn your triggers for when you over eat, or when you run to comfort foods.

Its not easy trip to lose weight, It takes about three weeks or so to change your habits, but you can do it Every time i drive by burger king, or wendy's i still get the urge to stop, but 90% of the time i dont now

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Pat & Alix, thank you – I’d love it if you’d share your recipes!

And y’know, I cringe every time I tear open a sweetener packet... I know they’re bad stuff. One good thing I’ve done just in the past week or so is give up ice cream – sugar-free ice cream isn’t very satisfying anyway, so I think I can live without that. A nice chilled nectarine is actually more delicious!

Y’know, the psychological element is so powerful – I’ve wanted the ice cream because I perceive it as an indulgence, whereas the nectarine is something that’s good for me. But I’m changing that thinking now. I've always appreciated the simple purity of good fresh fruit, but I haven't always been able to afford it -- so now I'm spending the money and looking upon that as the indulgence.

I’ll check out that book, too. Thank you!

Katteh, that’s really good to hear! I’m at the point now where even just a few pounds can make a big difference in how I look. It’s as if there’s a certain level at which I can tolerate myself, but one more pound and I’m just beyond revolting!
So maybe that will help me find the motivation you found. Thank you for your encouragement!

Lookingglass, good questions...

1. I’m not sure what my goal weight should be. I’m 5’4” and small-to-medium in frame. I’ve been thinking in terms of losing 100 pounds, which would put me at 135, but according to the statistics, the average lapband or sleeve patient has lost up to 65% of his excess weight at 3 to 5 years out... so I don’t know where to aim or what to expect. That’s something I’ll have to ask the people at the clinic, I guess.

2. I’ve actually had a couple of consultations with nutritionists over the years, and last year I went with my father through a series of twelve diabetes counseling sessions with nurses and nutritionists. I feel pretty well-educated – I just haven’t put most of what I’ve learned into practice on any consistent basis.

I have to admit that part of my problem is being so busy trying to make sure my parents eat right that I just throw my hands up and forget it when it comes to myself. It’s a constant struggle to get my father to limit his carb intake and to accept his many medicines... and an almost impossible battle to get my mom to eat real food at all – she’s a tiny little rail, and she eats mostly candy and ice cream (a habit that started when she quit smoking in 1987). So I don’t have the mental energy left to put any thought into my own meals, y’know?

That’s my excuse, but I’ve got to stop using it.

3. As for the emotional journey... y’know, I really think I have my head on straight about that. I could be wrong, of course, but – well, here’s the odd thing:

Sometimes when I’m out somewhere, if I’m dressed nicely and having a good hair day and feeling physically well, I find myself just radiating happiness, y’know? I walk along smiling at people and just loving life, and at those times, I feel so totally together that it’s as if I forget that I’m fat! It shocks me when I glimpse myself in a store window and remember what I actually look like!

But the realization doesn’t keep me from feeling that I-love-the-whole-world feeling. And I guess that’s a healthy thing.

So I kinda don’t think I’ll end up in the reverse mode, feeling fat even if I'm not, y'know? And anyway, looking better is only a small part of what’s behind this for me. I just want to live longer! So even if I do end up with the mind of a fat person inside a normal body... that’s fine with me, as long as I’m healthy.

What an amazing achievement, to lose more than a hundred pounds.
You say you can remember the first day you decided not to live this way anymore – I’d love to know more about that! Were you able to stand by that decision consistently from then on? If not, how did you get back on track?

Any time...

The day I knew I wanted to loose weight was the day I watched Super Size Me. When the guy who was eating McDonalds for a month said that he felt a high after eating it and then fell back into a depression. I knew exactly how he felt. I didn't want that anymore. That was almost four years ago.

When I was doing my weight loss I did it as a system of rewards. Every time I lost five pounds I would give my self a hot fudge Sunday. Talk about motivation!