Has anyone ever hit a deer?(or a deer hit you)?

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Last night we went out with some friends and coming home, about 3 deer were along the road and one just *had* to pop out in front of us~well we couldnt avoid hitting it and ended up hitting her. But whats weird is this, she did some damage to the vehicle and we sat there for like 5-6 min looking at the damage and stuff, and she lay in the ditch the whole time, not moving, so we all thought of course, that she was dead. Today we went by there to see where we hit her at, and shes GONE! How in the world could that be? I mean I am sure it would of killed her, but just kinda odd that she was not anywhere to be found. Has this ever happened to anybody else? I hit a deer like 4 yrs ago and it crumpled my car up! And the deer died instantly. So I just wonder what happened? I felt bad for the poor thing.....hopefully she did crawl off and die, but do u think it would of just stunned her?? Ok-sorry to just ramble.
The deer may have been stunned and just got up later and walked off. Also the Highway department could have picked it up. I used to work work for the highway department in upstate NY in the summers between semesters and we always went out early to get the roadkill becasue if you waited till later in the day the smell was awful, especially large animals because they would bloat up and you would have to bring in a backhoe to get rid of them because sometimes they blow up they are so bloated. Sorry to be disgusting, not one of my favorite summer jobs. Another possibility is someone stopped and picked him up for dinner.

I have never hit a deer (knocking on wood) but I have hit a woodchuck and a squirrell. I felt bad but what can you do.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband hit 3 deer at once when he was a teenager and totaled his car....then when he was coming down my driveway a deer jumped over the brick wall and did a roll on his hood....(no damage just alot of hair)