Has anyone ever broken a tooth?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lsanders

It's funny- now that I work at a dentist's office (I've been there just over a year now), I notice other people's teeth so much more than I did before. I was watching Oprah a few months ago and she opened her mouth really wide when she was laughing, and I could see that she had amalgam fillings in all of her molars! I was so shocked! They could be really old, but you'd think if anyone would risk the chance of mercury exposure because of how visible she is AND could definitely afford to have all her fillings re-done, it would be Oprah!!
Maybe, like many, she doesn't like going to the dentist?

I bet I could make you cringe, I have 5 molars that need to be fixed (cavities) and wisdom teeth that need to come out.

The dental work I had Wednesday actually wasn't so bad - this dentist was more careful with the amount of local he used - 3 shots instead of the 4-6 other dentists used for just small fillings, and fully leaned me back to prevent tachycardia (I get it when sitting and standing up). I didn't feel like I was about to die or faint this time!
I'll be less resistant to getting dental work done now that I know the tachy episodes can be avoided.
He even called earlier to make sure I didn't have any side effects and that there wasn't any pain as I refused pain meds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dentist isn't really "in" the network with my insurance I don't think. They bill my insurance company and then my insurance company sends me a check and I pay them from there. I'm learning more about insurance at my job, but I've not had any patients have to do that yet so I don't know.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend breaks teeth all the time. He takes terrible care of his teeth and even when he breaks one, he has to be in excrutiating pain to even make the appointment to get it fixed. Then, even though I've told him time and again to go to the dentist, he expects me to feel sorry for him! Geez.