Has anyone else noticed their kitties acting different during quarantine?

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitties are acting as usual since I'm totally retired now and home much of the time. One friend who is also retired says she's noticed that their kitties seem to sense the changes that come from quarantine. Another friend called me tonight and said her kitty was eating just fine earlier and then not so much and didn't sleep with her last night. Could it be that she is just noticing things more since she is home more? I've found kitties' appetites change in warmer weather, and it's warming up considerably here. She's worried. Do you think the kitty might be picking up on anxiety and stress?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do believe they pick up on any tension or anxiety. Not only from us but also from things like the tone of voices they hear on TV. They are sensitive to sound as well as their human family members feelings and actions. Generally, cats are not especially fond of change. Spending calm time with them or extra play time can help them work it out.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know my cat is confused about why I’m home but don’t have a lot of time for him. Normally when I WFH a couple times a week I work on the couch and give him a lot of cuddles. But this current environment is making my job very busy and I have been needing to use my proper work set up on the dining table. I feel so bad and I miss cuddling him.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely and there is not even much change in the house as I was already working from home and spending most of my free time at home too. But she's confused why our neighbors are all home too and more importantly, lately the street cats don't get fed as much (or as well) as they used to so they are stressed. My Hima seems confused what is going on with them.

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm usually home anyway when I'm not at the university (I was looking for a job but that has to wait until this situation is over). But my mom is rarely home, so the cats are really enjoying all the new attention (then again I have 4 cats living with me, they need a lot of attention).

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For change of routine I believe in general pets are much happier for our availability
Minish copied my moods so restless anxiety first weeks calm acceptance last weeks

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't noticed any change in Mowgli's behavior, but we're retired, so not much has changed for him.

There's a WhatsApp group for the owners of pets adopted from our local shelter. A lot of people have reported that their cats are demanding more treats and gaining weight because they're getting them throughout the day. Some say their cats are going off and napping in unusual places, especially if there are kids in the household. Too much togetherness has disturbed their nap routines.

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitties are acting as usual since I'm totally retired now and home much of the time. One friend who is also retired says she's noticed that their kitties seem to sense the changes that come from quarantine. Another friend called me tonight and said her kitty was eating just fine earlier and then not so much and didn't sleep with her last night. Could it be that she is just noticing things more since she is home more? I've found kitties' appetites change in warmer weather, and it's warming up considerably here. She's worried. Do you think the kitty might be picking up on anxiety and stress?
I had to take my guy to the vet, his behavior is totally off (stopped sleeping with me, doesn’t play, lethargic) along with runny nose and sneezing. The vet said she had gotten many calls from pet parents about similar symptoms and she leans toward thinking that it could be a herpes flare brought about by stress.My first 4 weeks WFH winston was great and loving it but then something flipped. I’m still very worried, he also has an ear infection on top of everything else.