Has anyone dealt with renal cell carcinoma and chemo.

Gizm0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma (rcc) of both kidneys so there is no option for surgery. Prognosis is poor. We are meeting with an oncologist to hopefully see if we can start him on some type of chemo (most likely Palladia) which may or may not help give him some more time. I have researched for probably hours looking at articles and studies on renal cell carcinoma and I'm guessing it's just not that well documented in cats and seems to affect dogs more. I couldn't find any studies where it shows treatments besides surgery. I've even joined large pet cancer groups in search of experiences and only found one person who had a cat that was affect by rcc which was on Palladia and still currently on it almost 1.5years after diagnoses, which contradicts most things I see about rcc lifespan.

We don't know how bad it is right now but besides enlarged kidneys and anemia he has no symptoms. His blood tests were even mostly normal for his age (he's old)..We only decided to check for cancer after my vet felt something in his kidneys. He eats like a horse and runs around like he's younger than he is, loves scratching up furniture still, and loves attention. I don't know how the kidneys being enlarged like that aren't affecting him more.

Has anyone here had a cat that had rcc specifically, or another type of kidney cancer and what did their lifespan and treatments look like?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is always hope and miracles, but my experience with cancer in elderly cats is one of what you can afford. Most treatments do not extend the lifespan much and cost a lot. I would ask maybe two or three vets what their true opinion is and go from there. If there is not a good prognosis I would see what the options are to keep him comfortable for as long as you can. Definitely ask for a liquid pain reliever to keep on hand if things go bad quickly, I have regretted that for my last elderly boy with cancer. If you decide on the chemo, it really may help, depending on what your vet says, or predicts. Look at that one above, they had 1.5 years more with their little one, you never know. My cats were diagnosed with Leukemia and given only a 'short while' to live, two were horribly sick. That was over a year ago. I give their liquid DMG for immune support and their Life Gold (for cancers) in Delectable Lickables, (stew) a gel-like treat they adore. There is a pet med sight that gives a lot of cancer support options too, you might want to check into it, it is; homeoanimal.com.
I know how heartbreaking this is, I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizm0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the thoughts. We had a long talk with the oncologist and treatment most likely isn't feasible. The cost would be around $600/month and it may not even help.

We were told only one cat has ever been documented to have the same diagnosis as him (rcc in both kidneys) and it was immediately euthanized with no treatment. Since he's in otherwise good health and not in pain we decided to let him live out his days. The vet gave us 2-3 months but there's nothing they can compare it to so it's just a total guess. Even with treatment it's a total guess since it affects both kidneys. Cats where it affected one kidney lived anywhere from 6 months to 6+ years after diagnosis, so it's just really impossible to give a timeline, I guess.

We're going to focus on quality over quantity now.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still check out those sites, I get my life gold for cats on Amazon.
My heart breaks for you, for what it's worth I totally agree with you. You tried and I hope that helps. Listening to your vets right now is the best option.
You never know, my vet said my Yammy's white blood cells were almost nonexistent and he would die of a heart attack within a week. He is still with me and fat and sassy over a year later. I am grateful for every day with him. We had even dug his grave, he was so weak he couldn't walk!
So for now, just love him and be thankful for each and every day you have with him. He is as blessed to have you as you are to have him in your life.....

av23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma (rcc) of both kidneys so there is no option for surgery.

Hi Gizm0,

I stumbled upon your thread while searching for info. Yesterday we received the same diagnosis for our cat, and I was wondering if it would be possible to contact you for any kind of advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizm0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Gizm0,

I stumbled upon your thread while searching for info. Yesterday we received the same diagnosis for our cat, and I was wondering if it would be possible to contact you for any kind of advice?
Sure, you can shoot me a message!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizm0 Gizm0 . The poster above is too new to message, can she ask a question and you will watch for it? Thank you so much , i know they are probably worried sick.....