Has anyone cats had kidney issues? How much peeing and drinking is too much.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is in the hospital right now being hydrated with an IV and antibiotics due to elevations in her bloodwork which pointed to CKD. This will be her third visit and now they are keeping her since she refuses to eat or drink and they were unable to get anytime sample . I have four cats and since she left this morning they have all been so sad . My question to any of you is can a Cat live with CKD and what measures does the owner have to take to make this disease manageable . I sure hope and prayer I can take her home soon and have her back to Normal we are all so lost without her and it's been a hard last couple of weeks .
Do you have the blood levels by chance? If she's on an IV, it sounds like she has acute kidney disease. How old is your kitty? Did this come on suddenly or has it gotten worse over many months?

Cats can live with chronic kidney disease for years, but while they can come back from acute kidney disease, it can be a rough and dicey road.

onyxkits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet didn't give me any exact numbers just said the elevations in her bloodwork all point to CKD and right now IV fluids are needed to flush out the kidneys and antibiotics. My mother in law brought her there today and the vet is supposed to call me this evening to let me know how she is doing . Her name is Mittins and she is 9 years old .

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm that's still kinda young for CKD. Just going by how they are treating her, it sounds like acute more than chronic. Chronic has very subtle symptoms that get worse over a period of months or years. Acute comes on suddenly, and can be caused by any number of things. Is it possible she got into something like lilies or anything else? That was the first thing my vet asked me when Lucky had acute on chronic renal failure.

I'm asking these questions because you specifically asked about a cat living with CKD, but the acute-sounding aspect makes it more difficult to say. It sounds like all the right things are being done though - IV fluids are the best treatment for acute renal failure.

onyxkits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will ask the Vet about this again tomorrow when I speak with her . My cat is strictly indoors and we have three other cats not displaying any symptoms Like her . I do know about the lillies and keep all toxic things in one area away from cats and small children since my Neice is three I am so cautious . I will definitely ask more questions and let you know tomorrow . Thank you again for your reply .