Has anyone been accused of being a hoarder?

khayos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weellll

I brought home 3 pregnant stray cats a couple years back. They all had their litters within days of each other and one litter was 9. I've never seen a cat birth that many before. Anyway, we had 35 cats. Not including the feral colony lol

It was at my moms farm though, everyone was taken care of, and we adopted the kittens and mom cats out eventually. Our relatives didn't come out and say it but they made some off comments

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I've never been called a hoarder. My sister jokingly calls me a "Crazy Cat Lady" but she has 2 cats.
My Mom has 3 cats so she was trying to get me a third after Raven
went to the Bridge.

My MIL isn't as much of an animal person (but has 1 cat at a time) seemed shocked that I kept Lola.
Like I wouldn't have. I had already been browsing the local shelter and was thinking about kittens at my DH's aunt's farm.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oop, I should have read the posts before voting (I voted no). I thought you meant clutter, not cats!

Nobody has actually called me a cat hoarder (I have 9), but they certainly react when I tell them how many I have. (BTW, I am not a hoarder; I got stuck with 4 of them through fostering; DH brought home the others. I did not set out to have lots of cats, though I am glad I do have them, though not while doing my cleaning...
Also, 9 is the limit, and that*s it!).

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got Cali, my mom called me a collector and a hoarder.
It really hurt. I was trying to help a kitty that had noone, and here she is calling me horrible things because of it. Needless to say, she doesn't come here very much anymore...
My husband just said he thought I was on the verge of becoming one. How rude is that!?
Well, I think it's time for me and him to have a serious chat.......

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, ive never been a hoarder of anything.

I wasnt even aware that there could be a limit on the # of cats you have. since we only have two, it doesnt apply to me. but, i agree that true hoarding does not mean a certain # so much as the conditions and health. for goodness sake, 4 cats is not alot IMO.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

No, ive never been a hoarder of anything.

I wasnt even aware that there could be a limit on the # of cats you have. since we only have two, it doesnt apply to me. but, i agree that true hoarding does not mean a certain # so much as the conditions and health. for goodness sake, 4 cats is not alot IMO.
Actually some cities have a limit of 2, our city was going to until they went into consultations with the shelters and they changed it

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, but if I accuse someone of being one I will have the animal police behind me to arrest them.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. But people do remark about the number of animals I have often. I have more than most of my friends/family and I only have 3 dogs and one cat!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

The city I live in has a limit of 4 total animals: cats and dogs. Some neighboring cities have a limit of 2 pets. It's insane considering the shelter is full of cats right now. As long as people follow the law (licensing, rabies vaccination and following the leash law) I don't think the limit should be so low.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No but a friend (jokingly I think) called me a "cat lady" recently since I currently have 9 at my house (6 foster kittens which I'm having trouble finding homes for plus the 3 permanent kitty residents.) I didn't mind though because that was coming from someone who has 5 cats in their home and at one point had 12 after taking in a pregnant stray...

I used to know someone who I would consider a hoarder. The only difference is they actually did get vet care and spay/neuter and try to find homes for the animals. They "rescued" pets and usually had 5-8 dogs and 15+ cats at any one time but that was not why I considered them a hoarder. It was because of the horrible squalid conditions of their house. Just disgusting. They moved a few years ago and the new owners had to rip out all the floors down to the base to get rid of the smell. We have no pet limit in this city but I know the police or animal control were called on her a number of times due to her dogs escaping, the barking and the condition of the yard. However as the owner was a police detective no one ever did anything about it.