Has anybody tried this litter?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at Menard's today and found this cat litter called "Brilliance Cat Litter"  It didn't seem like anything else on the market.  I called the info line and asked if it was made from silica crystals and they said that it wasn't silica.  They didn't say exactly what it was, but I am giving it a try.  It seems super lightweight and actually fluffy.  I mixed it with some A&H natural litter (the stuff made from corn fibers) so the babies would recognize it. 

http://www.brilliancecatlitter.com/#!

*update*

I looked on Amazon and the ingredient is listed as "Expanded amorphous siliceous mineral"

So it does contain silica and is closely related to diatomaceous earth

Last edited:

ilpetsaver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - This kitty litter is currently on sale @ Menards for only $4.  Did you like it?  There were only 2 reviews on Amazon and one person loved it, the other hated it.  Does one bag really last one month?  Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about buying some but it's really lightweight and my cats will tip over the litterboxes if the litter isn't heavy enough.

catlover1976

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been using it for the last several months.  It works great with my cat.  I've been getting even MORE than one month of use.  It can be a little dusty when you fill the litter box at first, but I have been misting the litter with water after pouring it in.  After that, no more dust.  Anything that gets tracked vacuums up much easier than my old litter.  It's a great value.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l'm in the same position as Willowy. l'd like to get rid of the clumping clay, but one of my cats does his business while balancing on the side of the litter box with all 4 feet. ls this heavy enough to stop the box tipping over - l need some weight in there.

catlover1976

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not had any problems with tipping the litter pan.  I have a pretty good sized cat.  He also likes to push on the sides while using the pan.  It is light, but it seems to be heavy enough to keep the pan in place.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Since he is balancing on the edge maye the pan is too small for him?
Not necessarily. I use the large sterilite tubs which are plenty big enough even for my 15# cat. One of the smaller cats will walk all the way around the edge dipping one paw into the litter until she finds a spot she likes. She doesn't usually stay on the edge while doing her business, but just walking around is enough to tip the box over if the litter isn't heavy enough.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily. I use the large sterilite tubs which are plenty big enough even for my 15# cat. One of the smaller cats will walk all the way around the edge dipping one paw into the litter until she finds a spot she likes. She doesn't usually stay on the edge while doing her business, but just walking around is enough to tip the box over if the litter isn't heavy enough.
Mine's the opposite. He's happy enough to get right in, turn, dig a hole, then when he's happy with it, he perches on the front edge to do his thing. He's a small cat too, only 7lbs.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Mine's the opposite. He's happy enough to get right in, turn, dig a hole, then when he's happy with it, he perches on the front edge to do his thing. He's a small cat too, only 7lbs.
It's amazing all the different ways they find to do this. I have one cat who digs a hole then stands in the hole and poops on the mountain he built with his digging. :lol3:

tuxedoboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started using this and found it at Menards. I thought it was a bit strange when I saw it. I tried it with my cat and he adapted pretty quickly to the texture. It's so much easier to transport, doesn't track like the clay, and I have to agree with the dust when you first use it. There was a fine layer all around the box when I first started then it settled. It does get smelly if your cat goes in it a lot especially in a favorite spot in the box like mine. I haven't seen it anywhere else and I'd like to buy more of it so I don't run out! I don't think I"m going back to clay. I have been using it for the past six months. There is virtually no smell even when he takes a poo. Unlike the clay which seems to almost amplify the scent! Try it if you haven't already.

kathy jones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried this with my cat...HATED it!  Tracks all over...found residue on my desk, sink, floor, anywhere my cat walk.  As for odor, the urine smell is awful!  And, yes I clean the box every day.  I thought it was too good to be true and it was.  Will never buy it again.

LilyRosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I live in Rep. Ireland and when we bought our two Persian kittens we were introduced to the Worlds Best Cat Litter. It is the best litter I have ever tried, when they pee or poop all you do is scoop it out and the rest of the litter is clean. The pee I admit you have to wait until it drys, but once it does you take out only the clumps it has made, and due to it being degradable you may flush it down the loo, although I do not. It is very hygienic, and extremely soft on the cats. You can buy online and at pet world, it is a little pricey, but when you add up the cost of many bags you buy in a month, it works out cheaper. I would never go back as this is the best, in my opinion!

miz kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took a chance and got some at Menards and I just love it. I have six cats and litter odor can be a problem, but this stuff is great..Each bag really is the equivalent of 40 pounds of litter and only weighs 1.5 pounds.  My cats had no problem adapting to it.  I cannot say enough good things about this product.  It is fantastic.  Unfortunately though, Menards is discontinuing the product, so snap it up while you can.  You will not be sorry.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love WBCL!!!   It clumps so well, and is so easy to clean, I haven't had to dump my boxes and start over for months!  It is expensive online...but I can pick it up for significantly less at a couple of local stores.  I have back problems.....and it is so much easier to carry.  I would never go back to clay because of the environmental issues.  I love that it is biodegradeable.  We have 4 boxes, and there is no odor.  My guys eat a raw diet, so I only have to clean boxes once a day.  

LilyRosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey HarleyDiva,

It is so nice to find someone else who uses the same cat litter as me, for years we used wood cuttings from the supermarket, which was awful stuff but the best that the supermarket had! We found our litter from the lady who we bought our kittens from, and I admit it is expensive, but well worth the money, I will never go back, my babies are using a hygienic litter tray, and I have a better way of cleaning it!