Has anybody adopted a cat after returning one?

lara22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't done this offically but from owners i have. All cats are different with different needs and personalities. I dont think theirs anything wrong with finding one to better suit your home so you can give it the best life possible.

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, we adopted a cat last year and returned her after 2 weeks. The biggest reason we were adopting was because one of our cats died and our other cat, Swanie, was sad and grieving (and so were we). We wanted Swanie to have a friend, and it's really nice to have two cats around. We told the resuce going into it that was what we wanted and that Swanie came first. Turns out new cat was very sweet to us, but very mean to Swanie. He was hiding in the closet and worse off than before, so we took her back....
I know this post is extremely old, but I wanted to thank you for writing it. I'm in the exact same situation you were in eight years ago, and needed to read a post from somebody who understands. I actually registered in hopes of direct messaging you, but I don't see a way to do that... so I hope you get this message from an ancient post. Thank you so much.

CalicoKittyDaisy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright. I'll be honest with them and tell them this entire story. I hope they let me adopt again, but i'll probably start crying. I normally get very nervous :')
The best way is to be honest. I hope you get to adopt another cat and he/she will have a forever home with you. I too had a very bad experience and after that I decided that my pets always will come first. Pets are sincere, loyal, faithful with unconditional love for you. Best wishes for you.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
lissalouie lissalouie : Hello and welcome to TCS. As you mentioned, this is an old thread, and the OP hasn't been on site since 2016. But you could try direct messaging them, as if they originally set up their profile to receive emails if they get any private messages from TCS, they might get the notification.

Here's .the info on How To Have A Private Conversation With Someone (aka Private Messaging Or Pm) - TheCatSite

I hope things work out for you. And do feel free to start your own thread if you feel that might be helpful.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this post is extremely old, but I wanted to thank you for writing it. I'm in the exact same situation you were in eight years ago, and needed to read a post from somebody who understands. I actually registered in hopes of direct messaging you, but I don't see a way to do that... so I hope you get this message from an ancient post. Thank you so much.
Hi, I just saw this come up. Not sure how the DM works, but if you can figure it out, you are welcome to dm me, unfortunately. I had a lot of flack from a lot of people about returning the cat we adopted who was mean to our resident cat. I really couldn't see having him hiding from her forever and we did do a proper introduction. Maybe not long enough, but we were a bit more naive then. After we took her back, the Director of the resuce said to us "boy she really doesn't like other cats." Now if they had realized that before we adopted her, we would not have taken her. I feel the adoption counselor was kind of pushing us to get her.

But anyway, it worked out for the best, because later they told us a young man came in and declared she was the perfect cat and adopted her.

As for us, the rescue introduced us to Darcy and she was the sweetest most loving cat I've ever know. Unfortunately, she got FIP after only a couple months with us. There was no cure then, so we lost her. Our next cat was Cricket and she and Swanie got along really good. When Swanie passed, we adopted Austin, and he and Cricket get along, and they are both sweet cats.

I really do feel it's not fair to the resident cat if a new cat is terrorizing them. I see no shame in taking the cat back and letting them find a home where it can be an only cat.

Good luck with your situation. Have you made sure what the rescue's policy is on returns. I am now a volunteer where we adopted from, and I love them, they are so kind and caring, and they will take back any cat adopted from there at any time during the life of the cat. They even went to another shelter to get a cat that had been one of theirs. And it doesn't matter how old they are or what condition they are in, they will treat them, try to get them re-adopted, or allow them to live out their lives at the resuce. They just lost a wonderful little cat who was their office cat because she was adopted and brought back a couple times. If you are interested, I posted in the Crossing the Bridge Thread about her.

RIP Miss Chiquita

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lissalouie lissalouie : Hello and welcome to TCS. As you mentioned, this is an old thread, and the OP hasn't been on site since 2016. But you could try direct messaging them, as if they originally set up their profile to receive emails if they get any private messages from TCS, they might get the notification.

Here's .the info on How To Have A Private Conversation With Someone (aka Private Messaging Or Pm) - TheCatSite

I hope things work out for you. And do feel free to start your own thread if you feel that might be helpful.
Thank you! For some reason my interface looks a lot different than the one on the FAQ site, so perhaps the page has been updated since then. I don't see an option to Start a Conversation, but I'll keep poking around after my coffee. :)

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I just saw this come up. Not sure how the DM works, but if you can figure it out, you are welcome to dm me, unfortunately. I had a lot of flack from a lot of people about returning the cat we adopted who was mean to our resident cat. I really couldn't see having him hiding from her forever and we did do a proper introduction. Maybe not long enough, but we were a bit more naive then. After we took her back, the Director of the resuce said to us "boy she really doesn't like other cats." Now if they had realized that before we adopted her, we would not have taken her. I feel the adoption counselor was kind of pushing us to get her.

But anyway, it worked out for the best, because later they told us a young man came in and declared she was the perfect cat and adopted her.

As for us, the rescue introduced us to Darcy and she was the sweetest most loving cat I've ever know. Unfortunately, she got FIP after only a couple months with us. There was no cure then, so we lost her. Our next cat was Cricket and she and Swanie got along really good. When Swanie passed, we adopted Austin, and he and Cricket get along, and they are both sweet cats.

I really do feel it's not fair to the resident cat if a new cat is terrorizing them. I see no shame in taking the cat back and letting them find a home where it can be an only cat.

Good luck with your situation. Have you made sure what the rescue's policy is on returns. I am now a volunteer where we adopted from, and I love them, they are so kind and caring, and they will take back any cat adopted from there at any time during the life of the cat. They even went to another shelter to get a cat that had been one of theirs. And it doesn't matter how old they are or what condition they are in, they will treat them, try to get them re-adopted, or allow them to live out their lives at the resuce. They just lost a wonderful little cat who was their office cat because she was adopted and brought back a couple times. If you are interested, I posted in the Crossing the Bridge Thread about her.

RIP Miss Chiquita
Thank you so much for coming on to reply. I actually just made a post about my situation. I had to bring my new guy back yesterday. It broke my heart but I have to prioritize the well-being of my resident cat, who loves cats so much but just couldn't get through to this one. I am so sorry for your losses. It really is so tough.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Click on the username which appears under the avatar on the left side of the forum page. Click on "Start a Conversation". The recipient's name should already be in the correct box, so just put a title, write a message, and click on "Start a Conversation" at the bottom of the message when you are done.

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Click on the username which appears under the avatar on the left side of the forum page. Click on "Start a Conversation". The recipient's name should already be in the correct box, so just put a title, write a message, and click on "Start a Conversation" at the bottom of the message when you are done.
Yuuuup, it was the lack of coffee! Embarrassing--especially since I work for a major tech company, haha! Thank you so much!