Has a word ever looked funny to you?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oh and try being able to spell right when you get a bachelor's degree in another language! I received my degree in German language last year, now I'm always second guessing my spelling in both languages! Especially with the "ei" "ie" combinations, it's kind of backwards in German than it is in English...

I'm also a big stickler for grammar - like the to, too, two; your, you're; there, their, they're thing... I can't stand when people use the wrong one haha

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Oh and try being able to spell right when you get a bachelor's degree in another language! I received my degree in German language last year, now I'm always second guessing my spelling in both languages! Especially with the "ei" "ie" combinations, it's kind of backwards in German than it is in English...

I'm also a big stickler for grammar - like the to, too, two; your, you're; there, their, they're thing... I can't stand when people use the wrong one haha
I couldn't imagine trying to spell english words after learning another language first. I have a couple years of spanish right now and it's SOOOOO much easier to spell spanish words than english words! I think english spelling is probably one of the hardest things. Like you said we have so many words that are spoken the same way but spelled differently! Dear, deer, read, read, reed (I can't stand those!).

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

I also have a problem with "beautiful." Why on earth does it need an A in their?!!! I'm always have to refference the movie "Bruce Allmighty" because he says "B E A Utiful!" That's the only way I can remember that gosh darn A!!!
'cause it's French? i'm assuming, here - but there are many French words that have the 'eau' combo...

Originally Posted by LilleKat

A lot of people simply don't understand it at all - it's nice to meet someone who's curious! Most others think I'm slightly insane!
i read a book where the protagonist had synesthesia... sorta like your kind, as well. he saw words as colors... but not printed words, spoken words. was very interesting!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Are there more synethesia peeps here?
I had already commented, but I guess no one noticed. I've mentioned it in at least one past thread, too.

I wouldn't have been able to explain it as well as you did though - mostly because there are too many shades, I have no idea what to call anything.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I had already commented, but I guess no one noticed. I've mentioned it in at least one past thread, too.

I wouldn't have been able to explain it as well as you did though - mostly because there are too many shades, I have no idea what to call anything.
I just have too much time on my hands

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My last funny misspelling, instead of, "Dont fear the reaper" i wrote, "Dont feel the Reaper". What came back to me was, " Dont grope the reaper" ," Dont tease the reaper", and a lot of stuff Left to your imagination. Funny.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I tried to PM this to you Pixietina - but you can't recieve PMs.....

I don't know if you know, but synesthesia is where two senses get a little mixed up - for example hearing and taste - some people can taste music. Certain sounds will make them taste different flavours... for example my name would taste like strawberries or something like that. In my case it's sight and sound, my inner monologue will also bring it up - so different words come out as different colours. I don't necessarily see those colours physically on the page, but I see them clearly in my mind. As you saw, each letter in the alphabet has it's own colour... but when they are all strung together as words, there is a dominant colour for the sound of the word. "Colour" is a yellow word - even though individually those letters are yellow, black, black, black, orange, green. "Pixietina" blurs a bit like a ribbon from yellow, to deep purple and then screaming red on the very end where the "a" is.

My cats names look different too - Tosca is a deep pink-purple colour with a yellow twinkle where the c is and then a red flare on the end. Bootie is a deep blue with a white and peach flicker on the end. Rune is deep sea green. I think it all depends on the sound of the word.... if it's a harsh word, then I'll see harsher colours in abrupt shapes... the softer the word, the smoother and softer the colours. It's a very subtle difference in the colours.

For reference THECATSITE - is deep purple, bright yellow and soft forget-me-not blue. There is a red flare at the A and a soft peachy smudge at the Es... it's very pretty. One of these days I'll draw them all. It could make an interesting painting project now that I think about it. I wonder why I didn't com up with it before.

Is there anything else I might be able to explain to you, or just something you're curious about? A lot of people simply don't understand it at all - it's nice to meet someone who's curious! Most others think I'm slightly insane!
So you don't actually see the colors with your eyes, you see them with your mind. Hey, I always seem to have trouble with phantom smells (smelling things that aren't there) I wonder if that could be a form of synesthesia .

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way some people spell (or can't spell) I have trouble determining if some things are even a word in English.
Really speaks poorly for our education system, as I don't buy into all the "shorthand" or "it's like texting" excuses. That doesn't explain plain old misspelling.

IMO, There's no excuse for bad spelling, punctuation or grammar. (yes Bruce, we all know you are too lazy to spell check
)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, funny typos. I can't remember what I was trying to type once, but my fingers typed dies instead. Trying to type add and hitting S's instead of D's is always fun.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

my last funny spelling was when I told people I was mad for not backing up all my documents on floppy dick.
OMG, I would be mortified.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's just something a little different. Are there more synethesia peeps here?
That does sound pretty interesting! Absolutely colorful! How does "Marian" look?

Bright and cheerful; dull and drab; or glum and gloomy?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

That does sound pretty interesting! Absolutely colorful! How does "Marian" look?

Bright and cheerful; dull and drab; or glum and gloomy?
y'all could make a living drawing/coloring names in the colors you see them in!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hehe, "because" does it for me! i think it should be spelt as "becuz", don't ask why LOL! every time i write it, i have the following phrase going through my head:

"bake eleven cakes and use six eggs"!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awkaward look awkward? Never!
That is probably one of the hardest words to spell for me.

Who created the English language anyways?!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Awkaward look awkward? Never!
That is probably one of the hardest words to spell for me.

Who created the English language anyways?!
and it's awwwkwood to say