Harvey's going to a new home tomorrow

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I just cannot believe what has has happened today, its been the worst day ever and I can't stop crying. Harvey hasn't been too bad lately and I thought I was finally getting somewhere with him. Is it just me or is my life full of crap at the moment?
I went shopping this morning, got back, let Harvey in and straight away he came in and went for Billy, my gosh it was the worst fight ever, so bad, I have never seen anything like it. I didn't know what to do. I tried the keys, didn't work, got a towel and threw it over them and that didn't work, so I tried to pull Harvey off Billy by the scruff off his neck, if I hadn't Billy would have ended up dead I know it. I manaed to get him off, opened the door and was hoping Harvey would go out, instead he turned on me and sunk his claws and teeth into my leg and curled round my leg, he would not let go. The pain was immense and I didn't know what to do, when I tried to move he sunk his teeth in further and tightened his grip. I tried to get him out of the door but he wouldn't budge, so I grabbed the scruff of his neck and managed to et his mouth off me, he stayed though with his claws dug in me for atleast 5 minutes and I didn't know what to do, he eventually got free and bit me again and again and my arm too and scratched me. I don't know how I did it but I managed to get him out of the door and I just collapsed with the pain sobbing.
I called my Dh who came home and took me to hospital, I have 8 bite wounds, one really deep on my ankle and lots of scratches and one deep bite on my arm and scratches. They have been steri-stripped, had iodine on them and dressed and I am on antibiotics and I have to go for a tetanus jab on monday at my doctors.
Dh told me Harvey has to go and that is it, it could have been one of the kids. I just can't stop crying, I have been phoning places all day to try and get him re-homed, they all said he would be PTS because of his aggression and I would never allow that or be able to live with myself . I did finally get through to a lady at an animal rescue centre, she said that her friend ran a farm and he helps out by taking in and re-habilitating ducks and chickens they get in. She said that he phoned her last week and said he would be interested in taking in a cat for the farm as he only has one at the minute and he wants a semi-feral. When I explained about Harvey she told me she would ring the farmer and get back to me. She phoned me and said that he would take him. He will be an indoor but mostly outdoor, kind of barn cat but would be welcome in the farmhouse if he wants to go in, he will be able to basically do what he wants. She assured me he will be well looked after and they will try and work with him and his behavioural issues. This sounds perfect but why can't I stop crying? I feel like I have let Harvey down and now I am throwing him away. I love him so much but I know I can't keep him, he will end up killing Billy I know it, he will never change, he came back in a bit ago and straiht away hissed and growled at Billy. I have tried so hard and failed and I hate it. I just want to pick him up and cuddle him and tell him its going to be ok. I feel so rubbish and keep crying, please tell me I am doin the right thing and he will be ok.I love this cat so much.xx

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohhhh sweetheart, I am so, SO very sorry!!
I know how painful a cat attack can be as I basically looked the exact same as you do when my former foster, Casey, attacked me. You have tried SO much to help Harvey and you really went above and beyond. There is only so much a person can take, and you have to think of your OWN safety as well as poor Billy's. It sounds like this is the best for everyone involved, including Harvey. I wish I were there to give you a big hug...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

Ohhhh sweetheart, I am so, SO very sorry!!
I know how painful a cat attack can be as I basically looked the exact same as you do when my former foster, Casey, attacked me. You have tried SO much to help Harvey and you really went above and beyond. There is only so much a person can take, and you have to think of your OWN safety as well as poor Billy's. It sounds like this is the best for everyone involved, including Harvey. I wish I were there to give you a big hug...
Thankyou, I feel awful, I've got the biggest headache and I feel sick, I don't want tomorrow to come, I want to make Harvey and everything all ok.xx

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this horrible thing. I think you are making the best choice for your family and both cats. I bet Harvey will love the farm and I'm sure he will be fine. I know it's hard having to re-home him. ~Hugs~

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ruth I am so sorry it has had to come to this
i know how much you love him, but hubby is right it could of been one of the kids
my heart is just breaking for you!!

Im sure Harvey will love being on a farm. How is Billy is he ok?

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by -_aj_-

Ruth I am so sorry it has had to come to this
i know how much you love him, but hubby is right it could of been one of the kids
my heart is just breaking for you!!

Im sure Harvey will love being on a farm. How is Billy is he ok?

I know deep down its the right thing to do, I just feel like I'm another one that has let him down, I am hoping to keep in contact with the lady and she can keep me updated on his progress. Billy is ok, a bit scratched and bruised I think, its hard to see with the fur, he was a bit off with me earlier and has spent most of the time this evening upstairs out of the way, I will keep my eye on him and if he shows any signs of distress I will take him to the vets in the morning. I feel more bad because Harvey didn't come in until tonight and then he just sat by the door, its as if he knows what he's done but then he came in and started again hissing and growling.x

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG Ruthy!! You've done everything for Harvey--so much more than anyone else would do!! You have NOT let him down!! You can't blame yourself for any of this. The poor little boy was damaged when you got him!! You've tried to love him back to some happiness, but it isn't meant to be, sweetie. This farm sounds like an ideal place for him!! It really does. You aren't letting him, down you are still trying to help him find peace in his life by doing what's best for him. You must watch out for your family and other animals first.
i know if it was one of us in this situation--you would be ssoo supportive of us!! There are times when we have to do what's best for our cats--no matter how much it hurts. I'm so sorrY

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ruth, I'm so sorry for you but it IS the right thing to do. Harvey really does have to go. This thread really did make me sad, do you know if you'll be updated on what happens with Harvey? I hope you'll get better soon and the same to Billy.

Jackz, Jazzy & Ginga.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry this happened but has this happened before or am I missing something? It sounds like he redirected on you thinking it was Billy and didn't mean it but he may have the way he attacked you. Poor you and Harvey.
I couldn't imagine.. The farm sounds in his best interest. Keep an eye on your cat bites and scratches, they can get nasty fast.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bellaandme

OMG Ruthy!! You've done everything for Harvey--so much more than anyone else would do!! You have NOT let him down!! You can't blame yourself for any of this. The poor little boy was damaged when you got him!! You've tried to love him back to some happiness, but it isn't meant to be, sweetie. This farm sounds like an ideal place for him!! It really does. You aren't letting him, down you are still trying to help him find peace in his life by doing what's best for him. You must watch out for your family and other animals first.
i know if it was one of us in this situation--you would be ssoo supportive of us!! There are times when we have to do what's best for our cats--no matter how much it hurts. I'm so sorrY
Thanks Cheryl, I know this but why can't I stop crying? I just keep thinking what if there is another way. I am saving him from a death sentence I know and dh said it could have been one of my kids, it wouldn't of because they don't go near him that much. I just feel so down, he's in now asleep upstairs and he's ok, safe, he's with me where he should be, he goes to the farm and I'm not going to know if he's ok and if he's happy, he may hate it and then what? What future does he have being chucked around, no wonder he is the way he is, the people that are supposed to help him leave him. I know he has to go, I love my other cats too and they deserve a better life, dh says I am too soft, maybe I am but you can't help loving somebody. I told next door and they said Dizzee will miss him terribly, they have become such good playmates lately which has made me feel even more guilty.xx

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

You have not let him down. You did all you could for him. A lesser person would have had him PTS weeks ago.

He will be happy on the farm where he can roam free and be top cat.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

You have not let him down. You did all you could for him. A lesser person would have had him PTS weeks ago.

He will be happy on the farm where he can roam free and be top cat.
Thankyou, I would never have had him PTS, never, he doesn't deserve that. I just can't stop crying, dh doesn't understand how I am feeling, tomorrow is goin to be so hard. I really hope I can keep in contact with the farmer and find out how he is, who knows he may love it.xx

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're crying because you have a wonderful heart, Ruthy. You're sensitive to Harvey's pain. Letting him go to this farm IS helping him. You want him to be happy NO matter when he's at--with you or someone else. You're not giving up on him, you're giving him another chance to find that happiness!! Giving up on Harvey would mean having him PTS or dropping him off in the middle of nowhere! You have been very patient and strong during this time with Harvey even though it's caused some friction with you DH. You're an exceptional person and I'm proud of you!!
:vib es:
: vibes:

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You're crying because you have a wonderful heart, Ruthy. You're sensitive to Harvey's pain. Letting him go to this farm IS helping him. You want him to be happy NO matter when he's at--with you or someone else. You're not giving up on him, you're giving him another chance to find that happiness!! Giving up on Harvey would mean having him PTS or dropping him off in the middle of nowhere! You have been very patient and strong during this time with Harvey even though it's caused some friction with you DH. You're an exceptional person and I'm proud of you!!
Thankyou, I just think I'm so emotional today and I'm dreading tomorrow so much. The lady thats coming to collect him sounds so lovely and I'm also happy that theres one cat up there already and only one, its a female and he is sort of ok with my girls, he may be ok as its not like someone else coming into his home this time. Just see what tomorrow brings I guess.xx

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

its going to be hard but this will be good for him xx

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep us informed--I bet you that this farmer would let you keep in touch with Harvey. I'm also thinking that Harvey is gonna think it's paradise there with all that outdoor space and just one other cat...You're doing a wonderful thing for him, Ruthy!!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Please keep us informed--I bet you that this farmer would let you keep in touch with Harvey. I'm also thinking that Harvey is gonna think it's paradise there with all that outdoor space and just one other cat...You're doing a wonderful thing for him, Ruthy!!
Yes I am hoping he will love it, the lady at the rescue centre is going to work closely with him too so thats good and she assured me he will not be pTS and she has told the farmer all about his aggression and he was fine with that so thats a good thing. I told dh wherever he goes I wanted to be kept informed on him and the farm isn't that far away perhaps we could visit him sometime.Dear me what would I do without everyone on here?xx

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sweetie, I have to echo that you are not letting him down. *hugs* I know it has to be hard.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ruthy, dear one, this is A GOOD THING for Harvey, for your other cats, for your children, your husband, but most of all - for YOU! You cannot spend each and every day trying to protect Billy from Harvey. And while your children stay away from him there's nothing to prevent him from going after them. And oh yes, getting clawed and bitten as badly as you did must not be allowed to happen again.

A farm home will be the best solution. You will be sad but Harvey will be happier.

An unsolicited piece of advice - even if it were allowed, do not go to visit him. In fact, I'd keep all contact and information at one remove, only through the woman at the rescue shelter. Talking to the farmer, visiting the farm, will only be ripping the scab off a wound and you will not get over this.

If Harvey is in a new situation he will adjust. If you go visit - IDK - do cats get flashbacks? It might stir up all sorts of angry memories for him.

Just as much as you want Harvey to become a happy cat, all of us here at TCS want to hear that you are happy too.