Hartz UltraGuard

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! She is doing great; all kinds of hyper today! We even went out for a walk

I'll have to pm carolinalima about that, since the holistic vet i was wondering about is in Carrollton! I also noticed that there is a "Cat Hospital" on my way to work

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Wash it off, now! Right away! That stuff is known to KILL cats, I do not exaggerate.

Get that stuff off your cat and never use it again.
I haven't read any of the other responses on this thread but I echo this. Wash off with dawn dish soap or cat shampoo. Do not try it again and consider yourself lucky that is all that happened.
Encourage others you know not to use this stuff either.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

In the future, try the search function on here or post before using anything that you don't get from a vet (or just about any other product). You'll find information as to whether it's good, bad, or a waste of money.
including some products you get from a vet

Glad she is doing well, but do get bloodwork next time she is in the vet to check for possible issues

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a recommendation Ive used BioSpot for my cats and dog I got it out of Dr Foster and Smith catalogue. I like this product not only because its cheaper but it worked. I only used it during the summer and a little into the fall when fleas are bad around here. Granted since Ive had pets Ive only found 2 fleas ever better safe than sorry. I know its still OTC flea meds, I got it at my local tractor supply store where they also sell Frontline and Advatage flea drops.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to chime in here and say that I disagree with the two above posters about using any over the counter flea meds.

I am glad neither of you have had any problems with Bio Spot, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, and will continue to urge people to get their flea products from their vet.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm also going to chime in and reiterate that all OTC flea meds are unsafe. When looking for an appropriate flea (or other parasitic) medication, it is always best to discuss both what you're looking for in a medication as well as any concerns you may have with your veterinarian. And, for future reference as well, it is always in your best interest (and in the best interest of your pet) to have a vet on hand who is familiar with your situation as well as numbers for local emergency veterinary services.

As far as Hartz products, my opinion is stay as far away from them as possible. I know many individuals who have either lost or had their cats or dogs become ill following use of those products. In fact, a good friend of mine lost her previously healthy, 3 year old beagle to a Hartz flea repellant. And, another friend lost two of her young cats to the same (only for cats rather than dogs) and another became seriously ill and now has permanant kidney issues as a result. And, that's only the tip of the iceberg...

As far as BioSpot is concerned, I'd also recommend steering clear. My mother gave her cats this product (and, yes, it was the product specifically for cats) last year and out of five, lost three. The remaining two needed to be hospitalized for nearly a week and now have a whole host of medical issues that the vet feels is a result of the medication.

Just because a pet store or supplier sells these products does not make them safe. I hope they are, one day, pulled off of the shelves and discontinued. No pet should have to suffer due to a product that is purported to be safe. And, no pet owner should have to suffer the loss of their beloved pet or deal with serious illness.

I'm glad Neko is okay. Thank God for that. And, even though it was a scary situation, the fact that you posted has, most likely, helped a large number of people (both on TCS and in our personal lives).

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Glad she is doing well, but do get bloodwork next time she is in the vet to check for possible issues
I WILL make sure to do this next time she is in the vet, thank you!

Originally Posted by Alison Joy

I'm glad Neko is okay. Thank God for that. And, even though it was a scary situation, the fact that you posted has, most likely, helped a large number of people (both on TCS and in our personal lives).
Thank you, I too am glad that this may help others who are unaware of this.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not in Carrolton I am in Dallas... However I HIGHLY recommend the vet I am using for my kitties now... It is the dentist office/ Animal hospital treating Bugsy and most recently Hope. These people are phenomenal and worth their weight in gold.

As far as dentistry, Dr. Wiggs, the founder was considered the father of veterinary dentistry, and was a monster of knowledge - he developed a treatment for stomatitis that has changed Bugsy's life - without extractions... People come from all over the country to treat with them.

As far as Veterinary, they have GREAT, AMAZING vets. They will do whatever they have to do to figure out what the problem with your cats is.

But must of all, you and your cats are family to them. You and your kitties come first money come second. They will treat your kitty, and find a way to work things out with you. I know this because I have been there quite a few times...

From the front desk manager, to the surgery technician, to the vets, to the dentists... This place is a mine gold when it comes to a vet's office.

Yep, I recommend them!
They have been nothing but Amazing to me and my kitties - you can do a search on my threads when I was really in trouble with Bugsy and Hope and Lucky... They saved me... And again just did a great job with Hope when she got sick recently...

So........ If you want to come down to Dallas........ 1,000% Worth it!
Coit Road Animal Hospital/Dallas Dental Service
12600 Coit Road
Dallas, TX 75251
972-991-5170

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Carolina! writing down the name and address for future reference!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, Carolina. For some reason, I thought you were in Carrollton. I'm in Fort Worth and don't go to the Dallas side of the Metroplex at all.