harry pottor the new movie

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The movies are leaving out soooo much that I doubt someone that hadn't read the books could really follow what is going on.
I agree. I enjoyed this movie, but thought it was really choppy. I'd just finished re-reading the book, which was probably a big mistake, as I realized just how much was missing in the movie. I was really looking forward to meeting Neville's grandmother and parents, and seeing Prof. Lockhart again. I couldn't believe they left out the entire St. Mungo's section, and there was no Quidditch at all. I really didn't like the ending, when Harry's 'possessed'. I remember thinking at the time what a cheap bit of film-making. And I really thought there should have been mention of Aunt Petunia's part in all this, and why Harry needs to return to the Dursley's. I think the one part that could have been deleted was the whole Grawp story; it wasn't really necessary to the story.

The fact that the book was so long really shouldn't matter. 'Gone With the Wind' is over 1000 pages; if I can sit thru 4 hours to watch it, I'm pretty sure I could sit thru 4 hours of Harry Potter. (and for those who haven't read GWTW, they actually left out a lot for the movie)

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

The fact that the book was so long really shouldn't matter. 'Gone With the Wind' is over 1000 pages; if I can sit thru 4 hours to watch it, I'm pretty sure I could sit thru 4 hours of Harry Potter.
But most people could not, and I'm sure the studio would not be prepared to finance a 4 hour movie (I believe they were adamant it should be under 21/2 hours). I would have loved to have seen St Mungo's too but tbh those scenes don't really add anything to the main storyline and would have just added another new place and more people which would have made the movie even more choppy and episodic than it was. When you're adapting a book the size of a doorstop it's inevitable that subplots and minor characters will be left out, and that several scenes will be compressed into one.

I thought the ending where Harry was possessed by Voldie was excellently done. Rather creepy seeing Voldie's head on Harry'd body and it brought across one of the main themes of the books well - that it's the choice we make that are important. Great acting there too.

Merry Christmas and Happy Christmas are used interchangeably over here - both used but I'd say Merry Christmas marginally more.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going to see it tonight. I've read all the books and seen the films. The books are great. Had they been around when I was a kid, I would have loved them unconditionally. The films vary from tolerable to ok.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen it twice now...

1. yes, they did leave out a lot... but as others' have said, when you have a massive book and the studios won't allow anything longer than 2.5 hours, you have to cut anything that doesn't really move the plot along. Gone are the days of GWTW where studios are more concerned with ART, as opposed to making $$$. As for Grawp, he is semi-crucial, because he was part of what happened with the Centaurs closer to the end. And it all fits into the larger story-arc, maybe not necessarily within this particular film... but it does all fit.

2. Many folks liked the early ones for two primary reasons: they could fit more of the book (already mentioned), and that they were lighter and showed more of his time IN school, as opposed to furthering the plot with Voldemort. But as the books grew, both in size and darker in tone, they had to decide what to cut.

Rowling herself says she really likes this one and that it's the closest to it's book (despite the stuff cut out), and if SHE gives her blessing, then that's that. If they followed the book faithfully with #5, the movie would be a heckuva lot longer than 4 hours, I can pretty much guarantee that. With the increasing number of ADD/ADHD kids and adults, no one really wants to sit through that long of a movie. Even on TV, when they have a story that's more than a couple hours, they split it up and call it a miniseries.

They're doing these to make money, and they're being as realistic as possible, in terms of making the films.

For the record, I liked this one a lot. It's much darker than the first two... and they're really improving on the flow and effects as they go. two more movies... I think they'll do just fine. Think about it, for years now, we've had 20-something actors playing teenagers (on TV and such)... I think leaving the originals in to finish out the series will turn out just fine.

My 2 cents...
A.