Harry Potter Movie - Order of the Phoenix

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't wait!! Tonight I get to see it. Tickets are purchased already - as long as DH and the kids are still ok, 12 hours from now I will just be finishing the movie!

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My daughter got to see it yesterday she says its great. Now I cant wait to see it. My hubby dont like them so now if I want to go ill have to go by myself. And that wont happen since I dont like to go anywhere by myself so Im stuck unless I can talk him into going with me.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I saw the movie yesterday, and we were both disappointed. He's never read any of the books, and I just finished re-reading #5 so it would be fresh in my mind when I saw the movie. Maybe I shouldn't have done that; thru-out the entire movie, I kept thinking 'this isn't how it goes' or 'what happened to the part....'. Entire sections of the book were left out, including some that I felt were absolutely necessary. There were some parts where I think someone took 'artistic license' a little too far.

Maybe I was expecting too much? I would have gladly sat thru an extra hour if it meant the movie wasn't so choppy. I can watch the first 4 movies repeatedly; I don't know if I could do that with #5. I wouldn't say 'don't go' because it is enjoyable. It's just not as good as it should have been.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

DH and I saw the movie yesterday, and we were both disappointed. He's never read any of the books, and I just finished re-reading #5 so it would be fresh in my mind when I saw the movie. Maybe I shouldn't have done that; thru-out the entire movie, I kept thinking 'this isn't how it goes' or 'what happened to the part....'. Entire sections of the book were left out, including some that I felt were absolutely necessary. There were some parts where I think someone took 'artistic license' a little too far.

Maybe I was expecting too much?
probably. with really dense books, like the later HP books [4, 5, 6, probably 7], Gone With The Wind, The Stand - they really can't put everything in - there's just not enough time. IMO, short stories translate much better to movies than novels ever do. some of the best Stephen King movies have been made from his short stories. that's probably why the earlier HP movies were closer to the books - those books are shorter, not as densely packed with stuff - more 'surface' storytelling. they're not as enjoyable as books, IMO, but the moviemakers can do a better job of putting all of it on the screen.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yam102284

Seeing it Saturday and I cant wait!! I absolutely love Harry Potter and so does my boyfriend. They built a new IMAX theater half an hour from where I live .. So when the craze dies down, we're going to go see it there. The last half hour will be in 3D
Soooo cool! 3D??? I'm so checking out the IMAX theatre by us!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We saw it, I was not impressed in the least. From now on, I am going to reading the books. Done with the movies- and HATED all the commercials 29 minutes of commercials

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
" 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix' took in $44.8 million in its first day, the best single-day gross ever for a movie on a Wednesday"

That was on the ticker that scrolls across the top of my screen.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. Much as I love the books, I have to admit that book 5 is badly in need of a good editor and so I was glad that the film was a pared down verion of the book. Although there were a few things in the book I'd have liked to have seen in the movie (eg the scenes at St Mungos), in general I thought the changes were good and improved the movie. A literal translation from book to screen would have been a disaster. I was also a bit disappointed that some characters - eg McGonagall and Tonks - had hardly any screen time. But on the plus side I thought Daniel Radcliffe showed he can actually act in this one
and there were some touching scenes between him and Sirius. I liked the scene at the ministry where Harry was possessed by Voldemort - quite creepy seeing Voldie's head on Harry's body!

As people were leaving I heard a few people say it was boring, and I can see where they're coming from. For anyone who's not a Potter fan it might seem a bit dull as it's short on action, and for anyone who's an ardent Potter fan and hates any deviation from the books - well, you're blood pressure will soar!
It's not the best film ever made, but I thought it was pretty good and will be going to see it again.

btw there was a great scene with crookshanks and the extendable ears (can't remember whether that's in the book?) which will raise a smile from any cat lover

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

btw there was a great scene with crookshanks and the extendable ears (can't remember whether that's in the book?) which will raise a smile from any cat lover
Nope - it isn't in the book! But it was a nice addition.

Well I saw it yesterday and I must say I was pleasantly suprised. I really dislike HP4 the movie - they chopped the book to pieces and changed major plot lines. I was afraid they would do it to HP5.

While they changed some small plot lines I found it remained fairly true to the intregrety of the book.

The woman who played Dolores Umbrige did an excellent job of pulling her from the book (boy did that lady love her cats!). I think that the only thing I like about High Inquisitor Umbridge were her moving cat plates.

Daniel Radcliffe is not the scrawny young boy he was in HP1 - he is built now, although they try to hide some of that with the clothes.

Rupurt Grint and Emma Watson are showing more depth in this movie as is the boy who plays Neville.

Alan Rickman is wonderful as usual as Snape and Helene Bonham Carter makes an excellent addition as Bellatrix Lestrange.

The girl who played Luna "Looney" Lovegood, did an excellent job (had had gorgeous hair).

Had a few issues with how they changed Cho's part, but hey - it moved the movie along.

All in all - I enjoyed and look forward to buying the DVD.