Harness recommendations for a 3 lb kitten?

momofmaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck finding a suitable harness for very small kittens?  I have a 3 1/2 month old kitten who weighs approximately 3 lbs, and all the harnesses I've seen so far are for bigger cats.  I'd love to find a smaller one so I can start getting her used to a harness because she's very active and outgoing, and I'm sure she'd love exploring the outdoors eventually!

Thanks!!

poeticfelony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6lbs 8-9 month old kitten myself and have tried a few different harnesses for her. The traditional H-style harness that's adjustable works well for her size right now. I originally got her a step-in harness and even after adjusting it to the smallest size it's still too big. I would think a ferrett/rabbit harness might work well for a small kitten. I have also seen a figure 8 style harness for small dogs that could work as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I had thought about looking at the harnesses for small dogs, but it never occurred to me to look at the ones for rabbits/ferrets!

To be honest I didn't know they existed, but I think they might work ;)

Thanks again!

poeticfelony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I had thought about looking at the harnesses for small dogs, but it never occurred to me to look at the ones for rabbits/ferrets!
To be honest I didn't know they existed, but I think they might work ;)

Thanks again!
Awesome! Let me know how it works out!

mewtantmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Coastal Pet brand makes figure-eight style harnesses for little puppies and tiny doggies (6' to 8" or 6" to 10" girth range is indicated on the tag).  One of those worked for my kitten when he was that small.

wildog47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The best harness ever! my kitten has used this brand from just 2.4 pounds! and 8 weeks old. its called the EasyWalk Harness. It is lightweight, Difficult for any kitten or cat to wriggle from and it comes in a really durable material that stands up to my now 8 month old cats chewing on. Its resembles a figure 8 style but is really unique in shape. The way its designed does not put pressure on the cats neck or arms. H harnesses I have found put pressure on the cats arms and neck area if it rides up. this harness cradles the shoulders and is really so great. I've been using it almost every day (upgraded size once but thats all) and she doesnt mind it and its just so well made. Heres the link on amazon for it and what it looks like!

it comes in small medium and large. i dont think most average cats go above medium. 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Please don't forget to review these harnesses and other products this month!

[thread="310369"]The Grand Tcs Reviews Fundraiser​[/thread]