Harness Fit

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my cat a harness for the first time, and I’m not sure if it’s a good fit. It looks awkward when she walks, and I’m afraid it’s uncomfortable on her neck.

Is it normal for a harness to be so high up on the neck? I’m thinking of getting a different style, one of the mesh dog ones that slip over the head and cover the chest. Does anyone have experience with that type for a cat?

Also, how many fingers should fit under the straps for a good tightness?

819E8D83-8D80-410A-AB07-3C987C52357F.jpeg 5B5AD984-9C47-42EA-A783-5BF5AE61CA71.jpeg 5736D199-8717-49DC-8879-9B0525449E9E.jpeg 974FF73E-4694-4A1D-87BA-153B100FFB48.jpeg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does seem to fit her a little high. I don't have harness experience but my cats collars tend to settle a little lower. Although, individual structure does vary so on Link the collar seems very low while on Rocket it is noticeably higher.

Here is Adventure Cats guide on harnesses What kind of harness does your cat need? – Adventure Cats. They have several photos and some seem as high as yours.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats had the same issue with that harness style. So much so that they couldn't turn their heads. I switched to the come with me kitty harness, which is more comfortable for them (though less secure!).

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do not recommend Slipping over the head. Some Cats don't really like things "slipped over their head".

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg
I'd give it a little more time. It is a new experience for your kitty. I've recently harness trained Ziva, a 3 year old tortie. We started with the come with me kitty and then switched to the kitty holster. Ziva was slinky in both of them at first and improved over time. The kitty holster is available in a narrower neck. Ziva has the standard neck. In both harnesses it seemed to me that the girth portion bugged her more than the neck. Here's a pic of how her neck looks and it's fine. It has been a slow process for us, but patience has paid off. Keep at it and don't be afraid to try another style harness if your fairly certain the neck is the problem. Looking forward to progress reports. I have a thread under the cat's meow documenting our experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a new harness. For now I just need her to wear it while in her backpack, so I decided to go with something less restrictive so she'll be comfortable.

I’m finding play is helping the most to get her moving in it. I made her a toy out of an old window blind, using the stick and string, which she goes crazy for even in the harness. I haven’t attempted walking her yet, but I don’t think she’s ready.

A25B6B8F-4F45-46BE-8CCE-6884EBE6147A.jpeg

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Telephone pole sniff 11-25-17.jpg Jacket fit odd angle.jpg side jacket.jpg 201jacket head down wash pk70903_153301-1.jpg

We have a x-small narrower neck Kitty holster for Gypsy, she's about 8.5 lbs. If the Kitty holster is fitted correctly, tight enough that it is just loose enough to slide 2 fingers next to each other under the jacket, it is very difficult for the cat to escape, however you must make sure to keep NO tension on the leash and jacket if the cat is facing you. The jacket was rather stiff at first but softened up after being worn awhile. It looks short on her body but is very secure.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a new harness. For now I just need her to wear it while in her backpack, so I decided to go with something less restrictive so she'll be comfortable.

I’m finding play is helping the most to get her moving in it. I made her a toy out of an old window blind, using the stick and string, which she goes crazy for even in the harness. I haven’t attempted walking her yet, but I don’t think she’s ready.

View attachment 210909
A shoestring tied to a window shade wand is Gypsys favorite toy too! She also likes playing with plastics bendy drinking straws rather than any of the many, many toys I have bought for her.