Hare Today order

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For anyone that regularly orders from Hare Today, you're probably used to seeing the ground beef pancreas on 4+ week backorder. A head's up that they have it in stock, 35 pounds of it. :)

Also, I got adventuresome. I ordered a bag of pinkie mice.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have thought of ordering the pink mice and attaching it to Da Bird, to have a real hunt session with them outside - they LOVE to play with the little Da Bird mice outside...... I bet that would be a hit - and pretty rewarding when they actually "caught" they prey! :clap::clap::clap:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been trying to figure out for some time how to create a cat toy that has food at the end of it (that could be sold commercially). :nod: I'm sure they would LOVE that. ...though you may be better off with freeze dried liver or something at the end. :lol3:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to figure out for some time how to create a cat toy that has food at the end of it (that could be sold commercially). :nod: I'm sure they would LOVE that. ...though you may be better off with freeze dried liver or something at the end. :lol3:
Freeze dried liver would crumble..... And let's face it - anything better than a real tiny mouse on the end of that toy? :clap::clap::clap:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Totally forgot to report on the pinkie mice! OK - they are TEENY. I felt VERY strange about this. It would cost WAY to much to feed this in any kind of regular manner, so it was interesting, but not going to be repeated. :lol3:

I offered everyone one. Lazlo, Flowerbelle, Spooky looked at me like I was nuts. Tuxie sniffed and sniffed and sniffed..... So I cut them in half for those four, to see if that made any difference. Tuxie ate the head half, and that was it. Lazlo, Flowerbelle and Spooky still looked at me like I was nuts. :lol3:

The one that surprised me was Shelly. He didn't wait a second, picked it up out of his bowl and shook it around and got aggressive about wanting more. :lol3:

Ming Loy, Chumley, and Billy eat anything, so they were no surprise.

But as the total weight of the 25 pinkie mice was only about 3.5 ounces... I split the rest between the 4 of them, and that wasn't even a full meal for any of them. :rolleyes:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laughing myself silly at the image of 3 of them looking at you like you're nuts! That would be mt princess for sure. She was good at catching mice, but I never saw her eat any of them when she was allowed outside. Maybe if I had put gravy on them...

frappe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have thought of ordering the pink mice and attaching it to Da Bird, to have a real hunt session with them outside - they LOVE to play with the little Da Bird mice outside...... I bet that would be a hit - and pretty rewarding when they actually "caught" they prey!
Just thought I'd add in our experiences with this- It's a HIT! Also, the pinky mice don't bleed at all so there is no mess involved. We do this once or twice a week and afterwards both cats sleep like they are just *so* content with life.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the reports.  Given how much Ritz likes to eat a whole chicken head (minus the beak), maybe I should try pinky mice.

And, about the only toy Ritz likes is something she can actually 'catch' and 'chew', like zebra grass or real feather at end of stick.  I have a chicken foot (complete with toenails), and I thought about tying a string around the toe and dragging it across the (non-carpeted) floor!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK.... I'm rethinking the not buying the pinkie mice again. :lol3: They're expensive, yes.... but if used as toys, not meals, for the kitties that like them it sure sounds like it'd be a great game to get them moving. And Bill and Chum NEED the exercise! Hmmmmmm............... :think:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK.... I'm rethinking the not buying the pinkie mice again. :lol3: They're expensive, yes.... but if used as toys, not meals, for the kitties that like them it sure sounds like it'd be a great game to get them moving. And Bill and Chum NEED the exercise! Hmmmmmm............... :think:
:lol3: might be unrelated.... But I watched Bugsy hunt and eat :barf: a HUGE moth today..... :barf:
He was going at it, yelling at it, chewing, spitting off, chewing..... until that he ate it whole more :barf:

He LOVES the little mouse from Da Bird - especially when I play outside with him..... I can't imagine them not going nuts with the pinkies..... And if they can actually catch and eat it......... All the better! :nod:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wait - is that you barfing at the idea of Bugsy eating the moth, or did he throw it up?

Ming Loy chases down and eats moths that get into the house. :lol3: She and Billy are our bug hunters. That's why I had to get the Neko Flies toy for him - the Karantula and Kragonfly are the ONLY toys he'll actually chase when playing. :lol3:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I tied a string around the chicken foot and dragged it along the kitchen floor.  Ritz just looked at it.

(The toenails creep me out).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: But she didn't LIKE the chicken foot to begin with, right? I suspect the kitties that didn't like the pinkie mice wouldn't want to use them as a toy "reward" either. :lol3:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, Ritz didn't want the chicken foot as food or toy.

I got a bunch of unidentified chicken organs from the lady at the farmer's market who butchers her own chickens, the same one who supplies me with heads.  Ritz ate the portion with enthusiasm.