Hardwood Floors And Cat Hair Tumbleweeds.

Barry Clark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just moved into a new home that has all hardwood floors. Previously I have lived in carpeted homes with my cats over the years. My current cat is named Tanner and he is a Rag Doll. In my previous home I vacuumed about once a week and I am sure that I could construct a new cat with all of the hair that I emptied out of the canister. As a new hardwood floor owner I am finding that I have little tumbleweeds of cat hair drifting around. What I am looking for advice on is the possibility of air cleaners and if they would actually suck up these little tumbleweeds of hair. I have a hardwood floor cleaner which does get them when I use it but there is not really any loose hair on the floor itself. I don't really need to clean the floor every couple of days but that is what I find myself doing just to get the drifting balls of fur. Just so everyone knows, Tanner gets thoroughly brushed at least once a day. People say that he is the softest cat that they have ever felt. I'd like to think that is because I take such good care of him and brush him. He loves to be brushed, he meeps all the way across the room whenever I pull out the brush :hyper:

Any advice or suggestions will be welcome.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have an air purifier, it didn't suck up all the tumble weeds. A Swiffer sweeper works. pretty good. You don't have to use the refills they make, you can put baby wipes or microfiber towels on it with some kind of cleaning solution.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Barry Clark Barry Clark , on behalf of The Catsite community, I warmly welcome you to TCS :wave3:

I'm tabbytom and I'm a Mentor here in Catsite. Feel free to ask questions if you have any in regards to getting around the site. I'm here to help :thumbsup:

You can post your question here Grooming & General Cat Care for a faster answer.

Here are some articles to read to help you get started with the site.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Forum Rules
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Do check out the informative forum threads and also the many good reads in the Articles section too.

Do post photos of Tanner for us to see :wink:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a swiffer pretty much daily on my whole house hardwood floors. I have made reusable coversmfor it that pick up pet hair extremely well

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Get a light battery powered upright vacuum and buy a few handheld cordless vacs to have for when you need to pick up small things (litter/hairs) on the spot.

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use a swiffer pretty much daily on my whole house hardwood floors. I have made reusable coversmfor it that pick up pet hair extremely well
I will be trying this tomorrow. Good tip!

We have a Roomba. It gets full of all kinds of things it gathers up from the hard wood floors.
I have a roomba too, but I find it quicker to just grab the light vac and do it myself in a few minutes vs the roomba taking forever to do a small livingroom and dining room. Plus you have to pick up every possible obstacle that it can get tangled with (cat toys for example) and it is fairly loud too. I still use it sometimes though. Handy to have for sure.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We have a Roomba. It gets full of all kinds of things it gathers up from the hard wood floors.
A Roomba is a good effortlessly device.
It is only not good if your cat has the runs and did it in the floor. The Roomba will drag all of it around the whole house. Just imagine the sight and smell after that! :shocked::barfgreen: :dizzy: :help: :jawdrop: :sweat::(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Barry Clark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A Roomba is a good effortlessly device.
It is only not good if your cat has the runs and did it in the floor. The Roomba will drag all of it around the whole house. Just imagine the sight and smell after that! :shocked::barfgreen: :dizzy: :help: :jawdrop: :sweat::(
That is a horrifying thought!

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad I checked in here....old Phoebe is all white and my favorite recliner is dark brown. When I want to sit and rest I have to ask her permission as she thinks it is her chair! Can you just see the white hairs? Oh she is shedding. Of course being a shelter cat nearly all her life (I've had her 4 mos.) she adores me and her attention she's gets but is still scared of being picked up or approached by strangers and even me so I have to be careful grooming her too. I picked up the Kong hair brush as was suggested here and wow! It is terrific. Anyway, I have all hardwood floors and can't walk around in my stocking feet as my socks are like a swiffer and oh the bottom of them....LOL! Some days I sweep and damp mop. Some days I vacuum. Can't do much as I have sciatic bad. I have been thinking about a Swiffer and wow I'm so glad I checked here. Wondered if it would be good and using wipes on it is probably way cheaper than the swiffer covers....Thanks so much, all :) Don't know what I would do without The Cat Site!

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
whatever - I use double sided tape on my furniture every one in awhile (the same that you use on my clothes). I find it a lot more effective than a vacume if you have fabric that the hairs get twisted into.

I have a reusable stractic cling thingie that's pretty much the same as a swiffer.

And just because I thought of this when I saw the thread.

These People Are Wearing Sweaters Made From Their Dog's Shed Hair

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
bluebirdy...thanks so much. I keep one of those tape rolls on a handle at my side in the chair and even use it on Phoebe sometimes along with me and the chair! Going to have to start buying those by the case.... Looked at that site with the sweaters from dog fur...oh my! I wonder how warm they must be too! Thanks my friend.... :)

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I have the BobSweep pet version (Same as roomba), and have it set to go while I am at work. I come home to clean floors

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard floors combined with pets make you realize how filthy that carpet was that only looked clean. I use a "dust buster with a stick" handle.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are looking for premade washable covers for Swiffer, take a look at the Pinnetta shop on Etsy.com