Hard stools

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, I looked up Restoralax and see that it's the same as Miralax, only canadian
.  We gave our Sven 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon of it, mixed in just about 1/4 teaspoon of water, twice a day, every day to keep him regular.  You can give that mixture to your cat however he will drink it.  We used to give it Sven just mixed into a tiny bit of canned food to make sure he would eat it, before giving him more food.  If your cat eats only kibble, then you may need to give him this mixture via syringe, but at least it's not sticky, like the stuff the Vet gave you probably was.  And this is tasteless too

If you notice his stools getting too soft, then just cut back on the amount you give him, and vice versa if you notice him straining to go.

anick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
can u get miralax or restoralax at drug store? please help my cat is constipated big time.

anick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
would like to take my cat to vets but unfortunately i cant afford it. anyone know if miralax is sold at pharmacy?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miralax will take 3 days and does not soften stool that has already formed. It is also not advisable to use Miralax unless you know your kitty is not totally blocked. Miralax works by drawing more water into the colon, so if your kitty is extremely constipated it could put the colon under severe stress. Normally you start Miralax after treatment (sometimes an enema) or after a vet feels the colon. A lot of vets will have a free first exam, so you could go to a new vet and ask them to evaluate the constipation.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't recall if you mentioned this, but if your kitty isn't on wet food or only gets it as a treat, feed a regular sized portion twice a day and cut down on the amount of dry food you're feeding.  The wet food is full of moisture which will help soften your cat's stool naturally and help him pass it easier.  Be sure to get a high protein wet food and something grain-free if you can swing it.  Sometimes, especially as cat's age, the dry food and foods with grains will absorb water from the cat's body and that makes the stools harder and dryer and much more difficult to pass.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Anick.Miralax is only a brand name of peg3350.Doesn't matter whether you are in Canada,US,Uk,phiilipines etc.It does go by different names.The key being the ingredients on the bottle is only peg3350.If there are rocks in there already miralax will not penetrate them and an enema is in order.In some cases when in an emergency situation a rescue protocol i call it is  when kitty is straining,crying,multiple trips to the litterbox. 1/2 tsp of miralax twice per day.Miralax has been used in feline constipation & mega colon for years and is very safe for those that don't know.The key to any laxative or pooping properly is hydration.Not meaning many bowls of water around ,although a great idea but getting water into your cat.Cat's usually drink very much.An all dry diet makes it harder.If you can find any canned catfood your cat will eat.Anything other than fish flavored this is where you would add extra water.Not too much that your babe will not eat the meat.There is a reason your kitty got constipated.Hair causes havoc in the gut and every cat unless it is a hairless one has hair ingested.We all want them to puke it up rather than go the wrong way.Through the small intestine which is approx 2 1/2 times the length of a cat not including their tail.Hair can get them bunged up.I checked every stool my boy had.Yes actually took it and dissected it.And documented everything about it.Hair,hard spot,color length,moisture.you should be able to cut open a stool and it be like a moist steak you cut open on the Barby.Yes i know this sounds real yummy.But long term constipation can lead to Mega Colon.A whole other can of worms you don't want to go to.My boy was on 1/8 tsp of all 100% canned pumpkin not pie filling 2 x per day for 6 yrs.I mixed it with chicken babyfood (gerbers stage 2 is good)Here in Canada  I used heinz.(No onions or garlic) mixed  a small amount of BF to the pumpkin stirred added the miralax and gave it somewhat like a treat.Not so much that this is a meal.it can be put in low salt broth if kitty likes it.Also can be frozen in cubes.But Maxwell loved BF.I froze it in ice cube trays as well as the pumpkin as it doesn't keep in the fridge long.Dollar stores often have cheap smaller ice cube trays.Cover in saran& freeze.When frozen take out & put in a in a freezer bag & keep in the freezer.Only take out on a plate what you can use in a couple of days.Covered with saran in the fridge.Anything leftover after two days chuck and bring out new from the freezer.Helps keep things not gong bad.But hydration is key for any kitty to have a good BM.We can never say too much about water.I had a drinkwell 360 water fountain but my Maxwell preferred but back yard pond over that.LOL usual starting dose of miralax is between 1/8-14 tsp twice per day.Continue on this dosage for 3 days.Or 6 doses observing if still no poo up your miralax.To say 1/8 tsp more total daily..Again continue.The key with peg 3350 is the number 3350.you can Dr.google peg's and there are a zillion.Also on the bottle as per ingredients only that.Peg 3350 comes in flavored added electrolytes etc.All for human consumption & not good for cats.Observation is key to monitoring what you are receiving as per BM's in a cat's life.We find poos all the time in the litterbox.Doesn't mean anything as per was it a rock when it came out or what.Should not be rocks or in ball form of any kind.Yes I talk poo every day of my life. Constipation & Mega colon are in epidemic proportions all over the world.We as owners need to not focus so much on the food bowl being empty but what kitty gave you as a present at the other end.Pees also a huge thing to monitor.People have no idea of illnesses that can happen from the inability to monitor or not understanding the importance of monitoring.If you hear digging go check it out.Don't disturb but rather right after see,observe just what your babe left you.Small urine clumps also being not good as well.HTH C.

kathleeno

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How did you administer the Miralax? What dosage?  What did you mix it with?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet told me to start with 1/8 teaspoon twice a day and adjust to find the right dosage.   It's a tasteless powder which can be mixed with wet food.  Since Patches is a little iffy about how much wet food he will eat at a meal I mix it with a small amount of food.  When he finishes that little bit then I give him the rest of his food.