Happy Year of the Cat!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Whilst Chinese astrology has it down as the Year of the Rabbit, Vietnamese astrology thinks otherwise.

2023 is a year of the Water Cat, starting from January 22nd, 2023 (Chinese New Year), and ending on February 9th, 2024 (Chinese New Year’s Eve). The sign of Cat is a symbol of longevity, peace, and prosperity in Chinese culture. 2023 is predicted to be a year of hope.

There are a few thoughts on why it is different, the main one being an incorrect transcription from the Chinese word for Rabbit.
However it came about, it seems quite appropriate that the cat should have a place. In fact there is a story as to how cats missed out in Chinese astrology:

According to the website of the American Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh chapter, the Buddha summoned all the animals together for a banquet, so he could assign them a particular year in the cycle.

Animals were bestowed a year in the order of their arrivals. When the cat heard the news, he notified his friend, the rat, and the two made plans to go together the next day.

However, the cat lived up to its lazy reputation and slept in the next morning. As the rat did not bother to wake up his friend, the cat did not make it to Buddha’s meeting. He was not given a year in the Chinese zodiac. This legend not only clarifies the cat’s absence from the zodiac, but also explains why cats hate rats — the rat betrayed the cat.

But our beloved felines did make it, however it happened, to Vietnamese Astrology and I'm quite happy to go with that, so
Happy Year of the Cat, everyone. :happycat:

happy-new-year-2023-chinese-new-year-year-cat-happy-lunar-new-year-2023-cat-illustration_69263...jpg

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
i looked at the post office website and the stamp that i looked was year of the rabbit lol the other one was valentines day with a kitty on it