Happy Beginnings! (Had to Share...)

at129

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am totally on Cloud Nine, had to ramble a bit. Sophie and Jack just met each other for the first time, and I can't believe how well it went!

We weren't even prepared for them to have a face-to-face yet...my Feliway wasn't delivered yet, and we haven't even had a chance to do a proper scent-exchange (Jack has only shown real recovery from his URI in the past 36 hours or so, and I hadn't wanted to transfer germs along with scents!). But letting Sophie SEE Jack has eased her stress very significantly, so tonight, the PLAN was to let them see each other through a baby gate (last night, we let her see him in his carrier, but that really stressed HIM out).

Well, Soph had other ideas. I let down my guard for one second, and she pushed right past one edge of the gate and into the living room where Jack was hanging out. I was really shocked, I expected some real show of dominance from Sophie, but she was very hesitant, whereas Jack is a natural dominant type, totally unruffled and pigheaded and a complete show-off. There was no initial hissing, spitting, pawing, biting, growling, anything...just two kitties sniffing at each other (with Sophie making an occasional retreat if Jack got too close for comfort).

An hour or nearly-constant follow-the-leader ensued. Jack would pretend to ignore her and walk around the house; she followed like a little black shadow. Then they'd switch, with her walking around, and Jack following. The only time she'd hiss or paw at him was if he got too pushy trying to sniff at her; she's still hesitant around him and doesn't want him right up in her face.

Eventually Sophie got too worked up and DID start hissing and growling at him more, so I separated them and put them in their respective rooms for the night (Soph with me, Jack back in his bathroom). And their relationship will take some work, there's no doubt. But they were already hesitantly "playing" a bit (until one or the other got a little too nervous), and I can really see the potential for a great kitty friendship here!

Incidentally, I knew Jack was a vocal cat (Sophie rarely makes a sound, and her chirps and meows are relatively soft)...but wow, when he gets going, he sounds like a Siamese! I've never actually heard a cat with a "voice" like that in person...like a baby/toddler vocalizing. It's somewhat eerie, but very cute. I've always found talkative kitties extremely charming, so it won't bother me (although I do hope he doesn't plan to have conversations with Sophie or I while we're trying to sleep!). Definitely not sure what any of it MEANT either...I assume nothing aggressive since *none* of his body language (tail, ears, eyes) was showing fear or aggression in the least.

So very, very pleased, and proud of my two babies right now!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats awesome!!
I can't help but think of my Fiona and ReeRee. When I brought him home she was more curious than anything....okay, nosey.
She followed him around also and watched him alot. He is also very vocal like Jack too. The sounds can get weird sometimes but it is too cute...sounds like he is really trying to communicate something

Fiona is a princess and loves to put reeree in his place.
Which is good because he loves to push his boundries with her so she needs to smack him around sometimes.

I love that you had a good experiance with them meeting! It only gets better from here! It will be so cool to watch how their relationship grows...just wait till the first time you catch them cuddling with each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

at129

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!

They are still "feeling each other out" as we head into Day 3, and they have gotten into a few tussles at this point (mostly Sophie, typical territorial female, trying to protect places and items she's particularly attached to). They seem to have fallen into the patterns I expected from the beginning...Sophie has gotten over her initial "OMG what is THAT?" surprise, and is now trying to gain the upper hand.

There have also been some overtures towards real friendship...such as attempting to groom one another (they've each done this, and the other always gets antsy and backs off) and having a game of "catch" with the wonderful Cheese Chase toy (I swear, best $15 I've ever spent on a cat product). A lot of times, it seems to be "aborted play," where they start out playful but then realize "wow, who are you again?" and Sophie warns him off.

I do have questions on specific situations (I'll be hitting up the Behavior forum shortly), but for the most part, I'm pretty comfortable with all that's going on.

Lots of work, but also a lot of entertainment and fun...and such joy when they have a "breakthrough" and do something friendly together.