Hand Taming an Aggressive Mouse?

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I'm wondering if you guys and gals happen to have any tips or tricks to hand taming a fearful aggressive mouse. I have four others who are all lovely pets and love to be held and pet but one of the newest ones, Rocket, is terrified of me. I can't seem to find anything to get her to trust me and I'm running out of options so I'm hoping someone here might know something I don't. 

I've tried hand feeding her and she bites me every time. I've tried gently introducing my hand to her inside her cage, same result. I was told to try holding her gently for small amounts of time, she still bites me. Gloves only increase her level of aggression and to make things worse I had to separate her because she attacks the other females in her cage relentlessly.

Any ideas on what I can do with her?

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't help you really.. I culled all of my mice that ever bit me so now all I have is friendly mice..

If she is aggressive toward other mice as well, I think it would be best to put her to sleep..

Best of luck to you with your mouse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are there any humane ways to do so? I'm going to keep trying with her for a little while but if she shows no improvements there's no sense selling her or giving her away. No one will want an aggressive mouse and I'm not about to lie and have her end up neglected or abused.

Last edited:

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you find someone in your area who sells frozen thawed rodents then you can ask them how they euthanize and if they can do it for you. Or you can do it yourself.
I personally believe the most humane way is a CO2 gas chamber. If done correctly, the mouse will fall asleep and then pass in its sleep.
They are pretty easy to build and they come in handy in times like this or when you have a sick or suffering mouse.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright, I'll do some research. Thanks.