Hamster set ups

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks
I try to give them the best
and what hh doesn't know is there is going to be a new addition to the family. Don't tell them I'll announce it when its time

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We always used modified bin cages when showing rats. They were easy to travel with and super easy to clean.

I miss showing and I miss so many of those finky dinks

CT's are garbage and I cringe when I see them. We had a hammie named Velvet...she was something else LOL She hated me, but would jump right out in my daughters hand and play nice.

Rodents Rock!!!!

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am very careful with my hamsters and he loves his ct's if there was any sign of possible escape he would be switched to a spare cage immediately

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to touch on the bin thing because I just came back to this thread - I must have missed it in my daily lurking before, lol.

I have never had a rodent (I had gerbils and hamsters) have any problems from being in a bin. In fact, I have had a TON of problems with them in the traditional pet store/wire cages.

What we did was get a big rubbermaid bin. The top was modified by cutting out the inside bit where it indents, melting it a bit so there were no sharp edges, attaching mesh across that part and then melting plastic over that so that there weren't any loose edges on the mesh and so that it was harder to escape. My dad always helped me with them when we needed to make them - it was always a fun project for us, even though he detested the rodents, lol. Next we took a drill and put holes about 1/2 inch apart (if I'm remembering correctly, it was a LONG time ago), there were 3 - 5 rows of those and everything was inspected daily to make sure they were not being chewed on. We never seemed to have a problem with that though. Hopefully that gives a good explanation of the set up we had. We would also drill larger holes the diameter of the plastic tubes you can get and add them to it so they could go to another bin. I wish I had pictures of it, I'll see if my mom does but I don't think so.

When I had guinea pigs I made a cage for them as well. We used those things you can get that snap together for bathroom storage to make the walls. The flooring was modified plastic dog cage bottoms that were cut and attached together, or a large section of tile. Clean up was super easy with that, we just removed part of the wall and swept it. They had about 10 sq feet for a cage and loved it (there were two of them, Hermi (female) and Sirius (neutered male)). There was no top to that cage though, it was in my bedroom and the cats were never left in there unsupervised - even when they were in there they never showed any interest in the pigs.

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girl has a bin cage and my boy 3 crittertrails they are both very happy. Bin cages are easy. I thought about guinea pigs but decided against it.