Hamster set ups

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I figured I would just start one topic for my ever changing set up

their current set up ( the pics are a little old but it still looks the same)

Kodi

Sadi ( excuse the mess)

The whole set up

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I had hamsters I always found that the best cages were those rubbermaid type containers that you have in the top. They were easy to customize, easy to clean and easy/cheap to replace when needed. My hamsters always loved them and there were far less escapes! I love your set up

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks
my syrian girl is in the bin cages but since I had a few spare CT cages I figured I'd link them into one set up

These are my hamsters

Sadi is on top

Kodi is on the bottom

Kodi actually loves his cage so much he tries to get into it instead of out lol So we've never had a problem with escapes with him

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nice....looks like a fun place for a hamster to live! Kudos to you for being game for cleaning all those cages. I'd take a litterbox over a cage (or a fish tank, for that matter) anyday!

Just a warning about those cages you have on the second shelf. I had one of those, and my hamster figured out how to escape. I think I had to tape the little compartment at the top shut, and tie the door shut at some point. Of course, my hamster was named Chaos for a reason.

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know all about the dangers of those cages but the hamster I have in them doesnt want to escape we let him out and he tries to get back in lol. Also hamsters tend to escape when they dont have enough room my hamsters have PLENTY of room and they love it.

Funny you mention fish tanks I have two of those too lol

and thanks Kailie
Kodi is my little man ... Sadi and I would get along better if she wasnt so scared and didnt like biting me. I have tamed so many hamsters but something is different about her.

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks
I try to spoil them as much as possible. I have bigger cages and a better diet planned.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nerdrock

When I had hamsters I always found that the best cages were those rubbermaid type containers that you have in the top. They were easy to customize, easy to clean and easy/cheap to replace when needed. My hamsters always loved them and there were far less escapes! I love your set up
There is no way there is enough circulation of air using rubbermaid containers. I would never recommend using them.

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I disagree just add mesh to the top and preferably a side or two and they are just fine in a rubbermaid or sterilite container. Bin cages are widely used by experienced owners I myself use them.

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a hamster?

And add ventilation to the sides and its not at all the same. You can't add side ventilation to a glass tank. Also hamsters need fairly deep bedding so the ventilation has to be higher than people think. Done right bin cages are one of the best cages available and offer the room people usually neglect to give them also they are safer. Anyway this is not a debate this is showing my cages.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna

Do you have a hamster?

And add ventilation to the sides and its not at all the same. You can't add side ventilation to a glass tank. Also hamsters need fairly deep bedding so the ventilation has to be higher than people think. Done right bin cages are one of the best cages available and offer the room people usually neglect to give them also they are safer. Anyway this is not a debate this is showing my cages.
Looks like your hammies have a decent set up. While I will not debate cages, I can tell you that anyone that has ever raised rodents and kept them as pets will usually want to argue the tub/bin type cages.

More than a decade of keeping rats, I have learned quite a few things
Hammies are a totally different thing and I am pleased to see you dont keep them in tanks.

My last 2 rats live lazily in a 2 level Ferret Nation cage.

I love rodents

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i wish they could make a tank with more ventilation

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna

i wish they could make a tank with more ventilation
I can honestly say that I am happy they don't. I have seen far to many rats crammed into fish tanks and its sickening. People already don't understand or simply do not want to.

Your hams look like they are well ventilated and happy.

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For hamsters it would be useful they need a 20 long at least ( floor space) plus you can watch them easily. But I am happy with my cages. I will have to get a clear big bin and mod it when I get robo's since they don't like being handled.

And I love rats I wish I wasn't allergic. I get mice instead

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had mice and hammies, but my heart belongs to rats
In the last ten years I would guess I have had 40 or 50 come through my home for one reason or another. Most of them adoptions from a rat rescue, many horribly abused and neglected. Those short lifespans make it incredibly heartbreaking to keep them as pets.

myia09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't agree with keeping rats in tanks (Rats are not equal to hamsters or mice for that matter, their care are completely different, be it dietary and cage wise and to compare them really isn't right. Just because they are "rodents" dose not make them the same-neither is comparing hamsters to mice or let's say gerbils), but I (as an experienced owner) have kept hamsters in tanks with ventilated tops.

I also use bin cages with ventilated sides and tops for years with no problems.

Unfortuantly, a hamster (esp a dwarf) cannot go into a FN or CN, nor are ANY of the pet store options adequate, even with extensions. They are never large enough, clean enough, and more over, I am not paying $40 for a cage when I need to buy 10 of them to get the same space. If someone gave me viable solution, I would take it. There are precautions to take in bin/tank cages..such as where the tank is kept, what kind of bedding is used, ect.

And as cat owners, I would be wary of buying pet store cages with cats as they are way easier to break into or paw in.

And Minka, how is a bin cage any less ventilated then the crappy critter trails or other *ahem* PLASTIC cages? That is what I really don't get...most CT and others have plastic tubes, sides, and about 1/2 inch if not more of solid plastic on top and bottom and a solid roof. So you get bar siding. How is that any different than bin cage?

Again, I hear the argument against bin/tank cages with no viable options otherwise.

Elli, I have posted on HH but your cages look good
I love Kodi.