Halloween, Salem style

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have been terrified!!! Thank goodness they were okay and that the police responded so well!

Uhm...what's "cabbage night?"

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I would have been terrified!!! Thank goodness they were okay and that the police responded so well!

Uhm...what's "cabbage night?"
Yeah....I was terrified. I couldn't get home fast enough. Police station is right down the street from my house. Takes them less than 30 seconds to get to my house (so I would have been very upset had they NOT been there when I got home). I love living that close. Anything happens..anything at all and they are there in a flash. Gives you a great sense of security.

As for cabbage night...that's the night before Halloween. I guess we all grew up calling it something, for me it was cabbage night. I guess that started years and years ago when my parents (or grandparents) were very young. It was called cabbage night because kids went out and caused trouble with cabbage. These days it's trouble with toilet paper and eggs....maybe it should be changed to toiletpaper night.

Anyways, we made it through cabbage night ok (other than our scare). Only trouble I could see the next morning were the toilet papered trees at the high school. Cops tend to patrol that night very heavily.
How did you make it through Halloween? I know it's still only 10:30, but is all going ok so far? It must be nuts up there!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, all was quite in my neighborhood, fortunately, but all evening I heard sirens going.

Woke up this morning to hear on the news that there were two stabbings and 47 arrests.

Our city spends a ridiculous amount of money on outside law enforcement, anti-gang stuff, mounted police, etc., and the city itself operates this event at a loss as a result of law enforcement and clean-up expenses.

Yet in the middle of winter, they cry poor mouth when there's no more money for snow removal. What's wrong with this picture?

I'm wondering how many more people need to be stabbed and how much more money needs to be spent for a stupid two-hour event before the city wakes up and decides to end this silliness.

I wish they would give Halloween back to the children of this city.

But hey - who am I? Just a resident, no tourist dollars coming from me, so I guess my opinion (and that of all those residents who agree with me) don't count.

Baaaah pumpkin.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only go in our 6 block square, and the little culdesac's. We know all of the neighbors. And even though some of them are trashy (like my inlaws) I just skip those houses, but none of them would ever do anything to a child....they'd only sleep with your husband
. It's like Wysteria Lane.
However, I did see 1 lunatic drive by us, stop in the middle of the st (while we were waiting to cross) reverse at 40mph, stop again and turn his headlights off (still in the middle of the road) and wait. I think it was a husband spying on his wife, or ex wife. And there was 1 cop (unmarked car) fly at like 60mph down our quiet st. Sirens blaring...I'm thinking cop or no cop you jerkoff, I'm walking with my deaf 4 yr old neice, what if she ran into the street! And there are "caution deaf child" signs up too.