Halloween is coming!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Halloween is the best day of the year--period! I love to decorate for the big day in early October, complete with a cemetery in the front yard, along with dummies of a witch, several zombies, a grim reaper, a ring of dancing ghosties, lights, etc. I even made a coffin a few years back (out of plywood) that holds a full size skeleton.
We have an enclosed front porch that gets dedicated to either bats or spiders, dozens of them. Every year there are kids (usually young ones) who absolutely refuse to come into the porch. As far as I'm concerned, the scarier the better!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

We have an enclosed front porch that gets dedicated to either bats or spiders, dozens of them. Every year there are kids (usually young ones) who absolutely refuse to come into the porch. As far as I'm concerned, the scarier the better!
I want to see pictures of this. In fact, why not start a "Show Your Halloween Decorations" thread?

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
want to see pictures of this
If I can get my DD to show me how to hook up my digital camera to my computer (
) I'll post pics when I get the decorations out.

On that note, I could use some advice on what to do to my rose arbor this year. It's in the front, right at the top of the steps and spans the sidewalk, It's a black metal arch and I usually put cornstalks with black & orange bows on either side, and hang some small ghosties thru-out. That way I can leave the cornstalks up til Thanksgiving. I want to do something different this year, probably with lights, but don't know what. All the front windows will have orange lights, so it would be orange lights for the arbor, too.
I just don't know that trying to wind lights in the cornstalks would work very well. Any idea anyone?

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll probably buy some cat ears and maybe some of those press-on fangs. Last year I waited until the day before Halloween to look for cat ears and came up empty handed after searching 3 malls and a bunch of specialty stores!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Halloween time. I especially love making costumes for my kids (well, the ones that will let me
)

One year my middle daughter won first place (a bike) by our local radio station; she went as a potted sunflower.

Another year, I suckered two of my daughters into wearing one of my homemade costumes. One went as Jack-in-the-box and the other went as Puppies for Sale. Which was nothing more than a wicker laundry basket, with a hole cut in the middle, then I used ribbons to "suspender" it from her shoulders. Then we glued stuffed puppies around her in the basket. I found a large stuffed dog with floppy ears and cut them off, put her hair in pigtails then attached the floppy ears to her pigtails. Complete with painted face and a cardboard sign above her head that said puppies for sale. I went lookng for pictures of this, but turns out I dont have digital copies of this and will have to scan some in.

Another year my middle daughter (the most adventurous of them all) went to school as a bag of grapes, which is nothing more than a bunch of purple balloon pinned all over her shirt. I pilfered this idea off the internet and it turned out great for haw simple it was.

Last year my youngest daughter went as an Atom. We got lots of comments on this, and the best part was the hoola hoops lit up!

I'm surprised that no one has started to mention what they want to be this year yet. Which figures. They love to send me in a hustle at the last minute.

I love the vampire costumes - and the toilet. A few years ago, I joked with my kids that I was going to go as a toilet - because I worked at a company that made toilets and plumbing related products

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

I love Halloween time. I especially love making costumes for my kids (well, the ones that will let me
)
Those are great costumes! I'll "let" you make me one!

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 4 kiddo's think its great that everyone hands out candy when they go door to door on their Birthday

Best day of the year for a Birthday.